The CloudBook - Bye Bye EEE PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CloudBook = Bye Bye EEE PC ?

We all saw the EEE PC and what its capable of. We also saw several shortcommings in it. Here is another lappy based on the same concept, but with a HDD of 30 Gigs. Its also a good looker. Its based on gOS, the same one that powered the gPC and also made by the same company, EVEREX. Its called the CloudBook. This one is a bit better than the EEE, and you may consider it for the engineering/business/kid's lappy you plan to buy. Its Ubuntu based too, so praka123, me, Cyrus_the_Virus, etc and other linux enthusiasts will be kept happy due to the fact that this bundles a popular Distro and not a distro that has gotton into legal trouble with OSS, like SuSE, Xandros, Linspire, etc:D

*www.linuxdevices.com/files/misc/everex_cloudbook_CE1200V_photo4.jpg
*www.linuxdevices.com/files/misc/everex_cloudbook_CE1200V_photo3.jpg
Technical Specifications:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Via C7 ULV processor clocked at 1.2GHz
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]30GB hard drive
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]1.2MP webcam
gOS
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]512MB of RAM
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]4-in-1 card reader
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]a pair of USB 2.0 ports
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]DVI-out[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] 7" Screen
800 x 480 native resolution

to me, the above looks pretty decent for running ubuntu.:D

Pricing

$400, thats Rs. 16,000, and anything below 20,000 rupees is concidered a possible buy by most of us.;)

Not much info is available on this, but its expected to be out soon next year, around the same time EEE PC 1000(the 10" screen wala) comes out.:rolleyes:

Source:
*www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6962839488.html
[/FONT]​

Last edited:
the one thing lacking in the EEE was that it looked worser than the XO-1, but this looks much better(black is beauty).

Don't worry about the prices, you can always count on gray markets and relatives in the US to get the price right:D

ray|raven

Think Zen.
The more important thing, IMO is that, this has a hard disk instead of a Solid State disk like the XO or EeePc.
No need to worry about the disk failing anymore ;)
But,personally i think that the EeePc looks better.

Regards,
ray

I only hope that digit covers some more details on their jan/feb issue on this one. Ours is a price sensitive market, and XFX 8800 GT, Intel C2Q6600, AMD X2 6000+ Black Edition, etc have made us happy in the high end segment. Our lower end segment is soon catching up with buys. These lappys only make us more happy;)

rayraven said:
The more important thing, IMO is that, this has a hard disk instead of a Solid State disk like the XO or EeePc.
No need to worry about the disk failing anymore ;)
But,personally i think that the EeePc looks better.

Regards,
ray
EEE Looks better? che che what bad taste you have, brother... lets have a voting here to see who wins. The EEE looks worser than my old 1999 lappy running DOS.

And yes, the HDD definitely adds to our needs. But yes, It would have been good if a laptop was released with 4 GB Flash and remaining HDD. the flash could be used for OS and Swap, while the HDD for user files.

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
MetalheadGautham said:
The EEE looks worser than my old 1999 lappy running DOS.
Yeah well, Its a personal opinion ;)

Btw, i just found this,
*uneasysilence.com/media/2007/11/img_0114.jpg
Some guy managed to install leopard on his EeePC.
*uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

Regards,
ray

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ravi_9793 said:
Looks gr8.......
Will love to see its windows platform version.
That looks bit difficult. This won't run Vista in anyway. If it runs XP then MS has to support it, which I doubt MS would in the long run.

praka123

left this forum longback
hmm...just witnessed windows effect today in new india assurance office :rolleyes: BSOD's.... and i and many are waiting for the damn sh!t OS to work :x .

praka123 said:
hmm...just witnessed windows effect today in new india assurance office :rolleyes: BSOD's.... and i and many are waiting for the damn sh!t OS to work :x .
w00t! Windows woes all over again...

yes, linux IS very much suited for places like Banks, Insurence Companies, Real Estate Agencies, etc because you can easily trust linux with sensitive data and performance critical situations, which you can never do with windows. Linux also has several apps for the above mentioned places.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
MetalheadGautham said:
w00t! Windows woes all over again...

yes, linux IS very much suited for places like Banks, Insurence Companies, Real Estate Agencies, etc because you can easily trust linux with sensitive data and performance critical situations, which you can never do with windows. Linux also has several apps for the above mentioned places.
I don't want to get in OS platform wars ..as this is not right thread and right section..and also right time(I am having paper :p ).

But I wonder..why U guys don't miss to add such stupid lines.

@MetalheadGautham..U started the thread..and U urself started diverting the topic.

Plz no further windows Vs Linux in this thread.

I you want linux Vs windows discussion ..than come in fight club section..but plz after 26th of this month :p

ravi_9793 said:
I don't want to get in OS platform wars ..as this is not right thread and right section..and also right time(I am having paper :p ).

But I wonder..why U guys don't miss to add such stupid lines.

@MetalheadGautham..U started the thread..and U urself started diverting the topic.

Plz no further windows Vs Linux in this thread.

I you want linux Vs windows discussion ..than come in fight club section..but plz after 26th of this month :p
This was still not flaming. I just said some truth here.

Sorry, I forgot that this is MY thread :oops:

OK, no Windows vs Linux in this thread, only if nobody mentions windows here. It will fuel the fire for flaming(pun intended) by people like prakash and me :lol:

Why after 26th?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
MetalheadGautham said:
This was still not flaming. I just said some truth here.
I dont want to comment.
Sorry, I forgot that this is MY thread :oops:
Means U will obey rules only in ur own thread.

OK, no Windows vs Linux in this thread, only if nobody mentions windows here. It will fuel the fire for flaming(pun intended) by people like prakash and me :lol:
this thread is not only for linux and linux user.

Why after 26th?
I am having papers....right now searching few points on net. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom