the Arch Linux thread

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Re: The Dark Side :Arch Linux

Got powerpill working, will test it today at 2 Am . lol.
Read the comments, so going to wait for yaourt.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming

hey guys, I installed compiz and compiz-fusion.
that is pacman -S comipz compiz-fusion

but compiz does not work in gnome , works in failsafe gnome properly.
compiz --replace command will make everything on desktop to dis appear in regular gnome session, works though in failsafe gnome.

and if i start gnome with desktop manager as compiz, it starts and stops right in boot.
and gnome failsafe with compiz as default boots properly.

but can start it via fusion-icon, but this puts a icon in system tray.
what's the problem and how do I fix it ?

Was there something in gnome settings ?
I think you can choose Emerald as the window manager. (pacman -S emerald)
And choose default session type as Compiz Fusion.

PS: Me not using gnome for a long time, so forgot options.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming

In gnome settings ?? Where do you find this ????
There is gconf-editor, With that you can navigate to session and change the window manager string from metacity to compiz.
I don't know about your method. Tell more.

Emerald can be set easily via emerald --replace. No issues or problems with Emerald.

Is there any way to get fusion-icon started right after GDM login, before anything loads ? It would then be great.

What's the big difference really between KDE and KdeMod !!??????

Also KdeMod install screwed the GNOME system a bit. I like Gnome.
I got all the packages now going for a clean re-install.
I have had my first experience now. This time things should be done neatly with no mess.

I hit kdemod-complete, what a mess, won't do that again. Will stick to Arch Principles.

Rahim

Married!

Hey guys wanted to install Arch last night but during "Install Packages" the install gives error saying "This package is newer than Core version". How can that be as i am doing a fresh install.

BTW that Chakra install hungs in the middle :( so went the Arch way.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming

^^ Strange Error. I did not get any such error.
What did you choose the the source as ?? CD right ?
Download the latest ISO from Downloads Page.

Don't download from link given in Wiki. Its very old.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

Hey guys wanted to install Arch last night but during "Install Packages" the install gives error saying "This package is newer than Core version". How can that be as i am doing a fresh install.

BTW that Chakra install hungs in the middle :( so went the Arch way.
you have enabled the [testing] repo, hence you have got unstable packages.

i would suggest you to disable [tesitng] repo from pacman.conf
and do
pacman -Syu

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
A bump from me too. Back at using Arch full-time. :)

Currently using KDE 4.6 - a few glitches with KNetworkManager which were not there earlier in 4.5.x.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^Does wireless works in K?
It works. I use networkmanager for that. And then I use KNetworkManager as the graphical frontend which is now showing some glitches. I have to manually enter my password twice to connect to my Wifi network (when I boot). It used to connect automatically earlier in KDE 4.5.x.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
A small note for Arch users using HP printers.

If you'll try using hp-setup to configure your printer after installing hplip, you'll face problems because for Arch /usr/bin/python is for Python 3 now. /usr/bin/python2 is for Python 2.7.

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
I was trying to get my Arch system up and running but I am facing a problem...I installed Arch Linux from the core image...But my internet connection requires me to login form the browser to connect to the internet(I am using reliance broadband)

I tried using the command line "links" browser but I am not able to login through it as it does not have cookies enabled in it...Can any one please help me?

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
People having Canon CanoScan LiDE 100, 110, 200 and 210 can rejoice as the development version of Sane fully supports them now. :D

I was trying to get my Arch system up and running but I am facing a problem...I installed Arch Linux from the core image...But my internet connection requires me to login form the browser to connect to the internet(I am using reliance broadband)

I tried using the command line "links" browser but I am not able to login through it as it does not have cookies enabled in it...Can any one please help me?
Personally I prefer elinks and it has cookies enabled by default. Sorry, for the late reply.

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
Personally I prefer elinks and it has cookies enabled by default. Sorry, for the late reply.

Is it there in the default installation package list? I'll try installing Arch some time later when my Ubuntu crashes. Currently i'm happy with my Ubuntu 11.04 :smile:

doomgiver

Warframe
[Solved] arch installer stuck on grub screen

the installer is stuck on the grub screen.

only reboot option works, rest of the options bring me back to the same grub menu. the "boot Arch" option in set to continuous loop.

installing from usb drive, fat32, 4 gb. .iso image put on usb via "universal usb installer" on windows.

===========EDIT : SOLVED============

no problem, i used linux live usb creator, running fine now

Last edited:

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Re: [Solved] arch installer stuck on grub screen

the installer is stuck on the grub screen.

only reboot option works, rest of the options bring me back to the same grub menu. the "boot Arch" option in set to continuous loop.

installing from usb drive, fat32, 4 gb. .iso image put on usb via "universal usb installer" on windows.

===========EDIT : SOLVED============

no problem, i used linux live usb creator, running fine now

i too faced the same problem while making usb installer for ARCH using universal installer, also it failed with linux live usb creator and unetbootin. then i made my usb bootable using the dd command in linux and i was able to install it thru USB

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
now its stuck with the hdd partition scheme.

all the partitions are already defined, /boot, /, swap, /home
but the 3rd option (set mounts manually) does not show all the devices only /sda5, /sda6 are shown

Top Bottom