the Arch Linux thread

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Yup. I can understand though KDE not being a cup of tea for some people, personally it ain't for me either, at least not yet. That doesn't mean you can call it "it sux", it is like dismissing a browser you don't like as a "Page Loader". ;)
I actually dislike KDE. ;) and I haven't said "XYZ sucks" or "XYZ is a page loader" in the forum. Have I? :p

doomgiver

Warframe
so why did you tell me to use kde :grumpy:
i told you i was interested in openbox

now i have to get it out of the system, or do a complete reinstall, to get the gunk out of the system

Regarding Shutdown, are you sure that you're using KDM as Login Manager?
its very weird, i dont have an option of login manager.
i have manually added an option of shutdown to the classic menu.

it is like dismissing a browser you don't like as a "Page Loader". ;)
epic. and good enough for ico to use as his sig. +1

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
How are you "loading the GUI at startup"? KDM as a daemon /etc/rc.conf or not? Or runlevel?

You don't need to reinstall, just remove the KDE packages, install the DE of your choice as set its Login Manager or just edit .xinitrc starting your session.
Try LXDE really, it's quite slick.

I actually dislike KDE. ;) and I haven't said "XYZ sucks" or "XYZ is a page loader" in the forum. Have I? :p

I was just giving an example. ;)

doomgiver

Warframe
How are you "loading the GUI at startup"? KDM as a daemon /etc/rc.conf or not? Or runlevel?

You don't need to reinstall, just remove the KDE packages, install the DE of your choice as set its Login Manager or just edit .xinitrc starting your session.
Try LXDE really, it's quite slick.
I was just giving an example. ;)
there is a screen with a background image. i put in my login in a box, and then the regular kde fuzzy icons come into view.
im confused, what does a display/login manager do? just put a login screen?
correct me if i am wrong, a DE has WM?

# pacman -Rs kde
thanks! pacman -Rnsc kde

*bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=54329

what is the difference between a panel and a tray?

nims11

BIOS Terminator
there is a screen with a background image. i put in my login in a box, and then the regular kde fuzzy icons come into view.
im confused, what does a display/login manager do? just put a login screen?
correct me if i am wrong, a DE has WM?

login manager just logs you in and starts the desktop environment. WM is a part of DE(Kwin is the WM for KDE)

nims11

BIOS Terminator
ARCH- network problem if modem not on during booting

when the modem is not on during the booting of ARCH linux, i does not detect it after i turn modem on after boot time, ARCH doesnt detect it and i have to restart with modem on during boot. i think it is due to the failing of network daemon during boot up. i couldnt get help using google as i didnt know what to search for. also the thread title is also quite LAME.

EDIT: problem solved, installed networkmanager and replaced the network daemon with networkmanager. boot time is now faster!!

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Re: ARCH- network problem if modem not on during booting

EDIT: problem solved, installed networkmanager and replaced the network daemon with networkmanager. boot time is now faster!!
Good job. I was going to tell you to use networkmanager. :p

Also do this:

# pacman -S kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement

nims11

BIOS Terminator

Good job. I was going to tell you to use networkmanager. :p

Also do this:

# pacman -S kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement

will try it after my internet is working at home

so just replacing daemons will reduce boot-time?
mine is around 10-15 secs

yes, the default network daemon takes a lot of time during boot.(longer if you arent connected to the network). i don't know about other daemons but i will try to play with them.

also there is something called backgrounding of daemons by placing an "@" before the daemon name in rc.conf to speed up. but there are some restrictions. anybody has an idea about it?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

will try it after my internet is working at home

yes, the default network daemon takes a lot of time during boot.(longer if you arent connected to the network). i don't know about other daemons but i will try to play with them.

also there is something called backgrounding of daemons by placing an "@" before the daemon name in rc.conf to speed up. but there are some restrictions. anybody has an idea about it?

Yeah sure try moving the daemons which don't have dependencies to the background. It speeds up the boot by a couple of seconds.

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
Finally I installed Arch Linux. Not that difficult getting a GUI up and running as made to feel

doomgiver

Warframe
yeah, but configuring it to your tastes is a *****.

my conky is still broken, and i cant figure out how to use custom themes with the file manager (pcmanfm)

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I installed KDE on Arch Linux coz I wasn't satisfied with GNOME 3. But still, it uses minimum amount of resources compared to other distros like Fedora & Ubuntu. BTW, I'm using 64-bit version. Which version are you guys using?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Update :- There is a new /etc/rc.conf.pacnew file in the system if you've updated Arch Linux recently. It is very easy to configure. Make this the default rc.conf file and rename the old file to rc.conf.old.

It has some updated BSD init scripts. The older one gives warnings if you try to run it on an updated system but it still works..

Top Bottom