Tell if my new PC is good or bad

Ruben

Broken In
Hello,
I have bought Dell inspiron 660s desktop.
Specifications-
Intel core i5 3450S @2.8 Ghz
Intel B75 Ivy bridge
4 GB DDR3 dual channel
500 SATA 2 HDD
Nvidia GT 620 OEM 1 GB ddr3
Will i be able to play th latest games in medium settings in this system??
I have played Battlefield 3 @ ultra settings in this PC.No lags.

acewin

Point Blanc
GT620 OEM is decent low-end card, so it should be a able to play quiet a few games.
I have played NFS Hot Pursuit 2 on my lappy which has HD6470 plays it quiet well

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Well the pc is decent enough. The gpu is a low end one though. BF3 on ultra no lags? o_O what resolution did you play at?

ANyway, your pc should be able to run all games. Not at ultra at 1080p. should do good at lower resolutions. |m|

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no offense but buying a branded desktop is one of the best ways to waste money unless someone else is paying for you(corporate/company finance scheme etc).it is a known fact that for same budget you can get an assembled pc which will be more powerful & with more features not to mention extended warranty on various parts.

OP
R

Ruben

Broken In
Well the pc is decent enough. The gpu is a low end one though. BF3 on ultra no lags? o_O what resolution did you play at?

ANyway, your pc should be able to run all games. Not at ultra at 1080p. should do good at lower resolutions. |m|

Resolution is 1366*768

no offense but buying a branded desktop is one of the best ways to waste money unless someone else is paying for you(corporate/company finance scheme etc).it is a known fact that for same budget you can get an assembled pc which will be more powerful & with more features not to mention extended warranty on various parts.

I agree with you....but still if we dont have extended knowledge of the components then branded is the best...and also since its Dell..its solid quality.plus genuine windows :)

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
If you don't have extended knowledge abt the various brands then its just as easy to be fooled by these 'branded desktop' brands. Also with so much of internet exposure it has become pretty easy to get a proper guidance. As whitestar said it's not a good idea to go for a branded desktop unless someone else is financing you. Branded is good for laptops but with desktop you can much better feature rich deal at much lower prices.

but if you have already bought it then I would say it's fine, should be able to run maximum games but not on high settings. How come you are playing BF3 on ultra :-o?

OP
R

Ruben

Broken In
If you don't have extended knowledge abt the various brands then its just as easy to be fooled by these 'branded desktop' brands. Also with so much of internet exposure it has become pretty easy to get a proper guidance. As whitestar said it's not a good idea to go for a branded desktop unless someone else is financing you. Branded is good for laptops but with desktop you can much better feature rich deal at much lower prices.

but if you have already bought it then I would say it's fine, should be able to run maximum games but not on high settings. How come you are playing BF3 on ultra :-o?

I have cross-checked the prices of the components of my pc with flipkart and it is totally alright.....i have not been charged anything extra except for genuine windows and mcafee.....And BF3 is running at ultra @ 1366*768...no lags.
I just need to ask one thing can i change my graphics card in the future??My cabinet is the mini cabinet one.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
well since you bought it so no point in discussing this now.just keep one point in mind that genuine windows you get is oem not retail version.what this means is you can't upgrade your motherboard & if it fails you have to replace it with an identical model from dell or your windows will fail to re-activate on new motherboard.

how much did you pay for this desktop?3rd gen i5 costs ~11000 & a good B75 mobo from gigabyte costs ~4300.similarly dell ST2220L costs ~8000 & 4gb corsair 10year warranty ram costs ~1100.radeon 6670 ddr5 is much more powerful than 620 & costs ~5500.good psu from corsair(VS450) costs ~2400.also ditch mcafee even if you get it for free.use avast free/avira free/roboscan free,much better than mcafee & free.if you do want paid security suite buy kaspersky or norton for ~500-600.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ruben

Broken In
well since you bought it so no point in discussing this now.just keep one point in mind that genuine windows you get is oem not retail version.what this means is you can't upgrade your motherboard & if it fails you have to replace it with an identical model from dell or your windows will fail to re-activate on new motherboard.

how much did you pay for this desktop?3rd gen i5 costs ~11000 & a good B75 mobo from gigabyte costs ~4300.similarly dell ST2220L costs ~8000 & 4gb corsair 10year warranty ram costs ~1100.radeon 6670 ddr5 is much more powerful than 620 & costs ~5500.good psu from corsair(VS450) costs ~2400.also ditch mcafee even if you get it for free.use avast free/avira free/roboscan free,much better than mcafee & free.if you do want paid security suite buy kaspersky or norton for ~500-600.

i paid rs 44000/-

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
44000 is a definite overcharge.at this price you could easily manage a ~8000 graphics card & even a genuine windows 7 home premium costing ~6000.just take this as a lesson & also advice persons you know to not make this mistake when buying new desktop.

OP
R

Ruben

Broken In
44000 is a definite overcharge.at this price you could easily manage a ~8000 graphics card & even a genuine windows 7 home premium costing ~6000.just take this as a lesson & also advice persons you know to not make this mistake when buying new desktop.
Sorry but it is not possible at my place at such low cost...and Windows 7 HP costs 7000/-....and for a 8000 graphics card i will also have to invest in corsair PSU and cooler master cabinet for reliability....it becomes way over 44000/-....also i will upgrade to win 8 pro for 699/- so it does not matter its win 7 HP or ultimate etc.And INTEL B75 motherboard costs rs 6500/-...check in flipkart...mine is not the gigabyte one..ASUS P8B75-M LE Motherboard..

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Never take PC component's prices from flipkart as a reference. Components are overpriced on flipkart. Anyway there is no point in discussing this since you have already bought the PC.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i already included corsair VS450 PSU & cooler master cabinet in my total.i agree that many components won't be available in small/remote places but still even with online shopping it is possible to build a better config with same budget.also choice is the most important factor here.there is no advantage in getting a 3rd gen i5 over 2nd gen i5 or depending on your usage even a ~4300 gigabyte B75 mobo is sufficient so why buy a costlier mobo.anyway like i said before since you already bought pc just be happy with it since it has a good processor.if you decide to buy more powerful graphics card in future remember to upgrade your psu & install 1-2 fans in cabinet if possible.

OP
R

Ruben

Broken In
i already included corsair VS450 PSU & cooler master cabinet in my total.i agree that many components won't be available in small/remote places but still even with online shopping it is possible to build a better config with same budget.also choice is the most important factor here.there is no advantage in getting a 3rd gen i5 over 2nd gen i5 or depending on your usage even a ~4300 gigabyte B75 mobo is sufficient so why buy a costlier mobo.anyway like i said before since you already bought pc just be happy with it since it has a good processor.if you decide to buy more powerful graphics card in future remember to upgrade your psu & install 1-2 fans in cabinet if possible.

Ya .....will surely do that....after one year.

acewin

Point Blanc
IMO over this same Dell PSU you can change/add gfx card. As per what I know Dell PSUs are also 80 Plus certified

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes but what is the wattage rating.it makes no commercial sense for a company to install 400W 80+ psu when the system can run fine with a 250/300W 80+ psu.

theproffesor

saze017 here...quite a go
at what resolution ...I don't think tha gpu can handle bf3 on ultra even at 720p

no lags = 30+fps
maybe its on low
a few months ago I had a gt430 and it cannot play bf3 @ medium at 1024x768 with 30+fps,it plays it with 24-35fps
with low details I was able to get 30+fps
so I really doubt about your card playing bf3 ultra on any resolution ...

OP
R

Ruben

Broken In
at what resolution ...I don't think tha gpu can handle bf3 on ultra even at 720p

no lags = 30+fps
maybe its on low
a few months ago I had a gt430 and it cannot play bf3 @ medium at 1024x768 with 30+fps,it plays it with 24-35fps
with low details I was able to get 30+fps
so I really doubt about your card playing bf3 ultra on any resolution ...

At 1366*768...no lags at ultra.....its possible dude!!!....cause its just 720p.

IMO over this same Dell PSU you can change/add gfx card. As per what I know Dell PSUs are also 80 Plus certified

Are you sure????
Then i will surely chnge it nxt year!! :)

Top Bottom