taking bike abroad... is it possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoBo

Broken In
Hi Guys,

I have a rather silly question.. I've got offer from a UK company and i'm planning to move there for atleast a year. does anyone know if it is possible to take a motorcycle with us.

I already have made arrangements to stay there, as my bro is there. I was just curious if i can take my pulsar with me.

Pleae provide the info wot will be the formalities and duties/taxes i'll need to pay.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
You'll probably face dozens of hurdles. Have you taken a look at this article? Not trying to flame you but what's so special about the Pulsar? You could just get rid of it here and buy a used motorbike or car for peanuts out there.

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
^^Correct.

I think you will have to spend a lot of cash (taxes) behind it and it will cost you so much that you can buy a 2nd hand bike over there. As everyone knows there are too many formalities regarding govt. stuff plus everyone knows how our govt. works.

Choice is yours. ;)

sivarap

In the zone
You'll probably face dozens of hurdles. Have you taken a look at this article? Not trying to flame you but what's so special about the Pulsar? You could just get rid of it here and buy a used motorbike or car for peanuts out there.

Its just the bond you have with your vehicle...

red_devil

Back!
@LoBo
i dont quite think that you should take your bike abroad..you might just get consumed by the paperwork [even if you can afford spending on all sorts of taxes]

@all
pardon my ignorance guys, but even if he decides to take his bike abroad, what about the driving license ?? i mean the license issued here in India wouldn't be valid there right ? and AFAIK, you can't get away with paying the equivalent of Rs 50 to the cop who catches you !! so how does that work out ??

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
@all
pardon my ignorance guys, but even if he decides to take his bike abroad, what about the driving license ?? i mean the license issued here in India wouldn't be valid there right ? and AFAIK, you can't get away with paying the equivalent of Rs 50 to the cop who catches you !! so how does that work out ??
An international driving permit should be valid for one year from the date of issue as is the case in most states in the U.S.
That said, it isn't too difficult to get a drivers license in most parts of the world if you know what you're doing. The US and UK use a points-based system which increases your insurance everytime you renew it. Anything above 12 or 15 points in a short period and you lose your license for at least 3 to 6 months. There are some loopholes in every system though IYKWIM. ;)

OP
L

LoBo

Broken In
HEY THANKS FOR THE REPLY GUYS! :)

i had a discusstion wid my bro abt this.. even we both agreed to not to take the bike there as its totally impractical.

So, the plan is , i'm gonna keep the bike at my hometown, at my parent's place,

and WE HAVE PURCHASED A 1992 MODEL USED HONDA CBR 600 FOR ME THERE (on ebay.co.uk for only 375 pounds)!!

I already have international LMV license.

and............... i'm waiting for documents and tickets.. plz pray for my dream to vrooom around in UK comes true!

Thanks again!

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Don't blast down the motorway or engage in any tomfoolery in front of the rozzers and you'll be just fine. Be sure to take your bike down the lesser traveled A and B roads if you want a lot of fun.

heartripple

In the zone
HEY THANKS FOR THE REPLY GUYS! :)

i had a discusstion wid my bro abt this.. even we both agreed to not to take the bike there as its totally impractical.

So, the plan is , i'm gonna keep the bike at my hometown, at my parent's place,

and WE HAVE PURCHASED A 1992 MODEL USED HONDA CBR 600 FOR ME THERE (on ebay.co.uk for only 375 pounds)!!

I already have international LMV license.

and............... i'm waiting for documents and tickets.. plz pray for my dream to vrooom around in UK comes true!

Thanks again!

Wait for me I will be there in few months!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom