Tagging files

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SE><IE

If you are the 'proud' owner of lots of wallpapers and have (or will) spent/spend looking at each wallpaper so as to neatly categorise each of them, you would love this neat trick.
Well, if you categorize then today or tomorrow, you'll find out that some(or most) wallpapers fall in more than one "genre".
There are online services like flickr, webshots etc but then, you need to upload images to tag them.

Xp has a built in feature under properties > summary. You can type anything in the description, comment etc. (use simple mode, its easier that way)
Use the brains and put some helpful keywords(called tags for images) in 'comments'.

This can be used on many file types including doc, pdf, zip, rar, images blah blah!

*img413.imageshack.us/img413/4341/ssgt5.th.jpg

Thats half the work done. Now, to search for a file. Open search dialog box and type the keyword you want to search in "A word or phrase in the file:" text field. Hit enter and see your tags working.

e.g., if you put green trees river water nature in comment box then putting any of these words (green ... nature) in A word or phrase in the file: box then you see the image in results.

Remmember you can "tag" many file types. So the next time you find a useful article in "edigit" then you can tag it for easy retrieval rather than just opening 10-15 files and serching each to find.

Happy tagging :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I knew about the tagging part but didn't see before how I could search them, thought it was just an oncoming feature thus. Thanks for this tip.

OP
S

SE><IE

LoL, everyone would be knowing about tagging part ;)
I was on the lookout for a software which could read these 'tags' and help me find images, ebooks etc :D

shankar_ganesh

Journeyman
SE><IE said:
LoL, everyone would be knowing about tagging part ;)
I was on the lookout for a software which could read these 'tags' and help me find images, ebooks etc :D

ther'e's tag2find - only on a invitation basis
check out *www.tag2find.com
a thread has been posted at: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45033

OP
S

SE><IE

Well, there seem to exist 3rd party tools for everything. Why not try hands when you have the same thing under your nose :p
Even Indexing service can be really good. Still people use google desktop search :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom