System performance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Day Walker!

In the zone
Pals, needed to know how to increase my system performance. Without buying new system.
Rig:
AMD x3 - 2.3
3gb ddr2
250 gb seagate HDD .

Usage:
Photoshop cs2 - 14 hrs non stop.

Options I think-
1. Setup raid 0. To boost system and photoshop performance.
2. Use ssd HDD as system cache disk. Crusial Adrenaline ssd cache.

Any other options are welcome..
Help needed thanx

Angel

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
gpu does not affect photoshop performance much even with latest CS5 version so i doubt it will help with cs2 which might not even support it.ssd will surely improve the performance.for some good tips read these:
Optimize performance | Photoshop CS4, CS5
How to tune Photoshop CS5 for peak performance Jeff Tranberry's Digital Imaging Crawlspace

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grab SSD drive - sell 1GB ram module and get a 2GB ram module to have total 4GB and use win 7 x64.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Performance gain from Upgrading To SSD will Be more significant than upgrading to 8GB of RAM Since Apps like Photoshop frequently refreshes and restores Work-Data(Project File) from HDD so improvement from Higher SSD Access Speed will be more than 8GB Module..More importantly while upgrading RAM...Note that Modules with higher frequency and Better Timings will be more efficient than identical Modules with just greater capacity.

helion

Broken In
If you're using photoshop(or video editing/heavy code compiling/ some others ;)), big up on RAM, to the maximum the mobo allows.

OP
T

The Day Walker!

In the zone
Got a Kingston 64 fb ssd or testing. Now needed to know, should I keep the system on the ssd to boost ye performance of photoshop or should I place the photoshop cache file on the ssd? Got a 2nd HDD for vice versa.. Wot ever I select

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a Kingston 64 fb ssd or testing. Now needed to know, should I keep the system on the ssd to boost ye performance of photoshop or should I place the photoshop cache file on the ssd? Got a 2nd HDD for vice versa.. Wot ever I select

just putting the PS cache file on the SSD will improve the performance of PS a lot.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
SSD + 8 GB ram combo will give you significant boost. As pointed out earlier Photoshop performance improves with SSD access times + More ram = More data in ram so less access to HDD.

OP
T

The Day Walker!

In the zone
Actually I have 8 systems running, and many systems r ddr2 compatable with 2 slots for ram so I have maxed the ram to 4 gb now using ssd and checkin out...
Thanx for helping every1...

Will use the ssd for PS cache and the normal HDD for booting system.
It's just that 64 gb will b dedicated only to photoshop and acdsee. Rest space will b waste as I can't use the disk for any other access else performance of photoshop will degrade.
Thanx
Angel

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
apart from the PS cache files you can istall some games on the SSD drive and game level load time will be a lot lower ( of course when PS is not running ) - you don't need to defrag a SSD drive - so there's no chance for performance degradation.

BTW, Here's something interesting for you ;-)

Solid-state disks

Installing Photoshop on a solid-state disk (SSD) allows Photoshop to launch fast, probably in less than a second. But that speedier startup is the only time savings you experience, because that’s the only time when much data is read from the SSD.

To gain the greatest benefit from an SSD, use it as the scratch disk. Using it as a scratch disk gives you significant performance improvements if you have images that don’t fit entirely in RAM. For example, swapping tiles between RAM and an SSD is much faster than swapping between RAM and a hard disk.

If your SSD doesn’t have much free space (if the scratch file grows bigger than can fit on the SSD), you can add a secondary or tertiary hard disk (after the SSD).

Also, SSDs vary widely in performance, much more so than hard disks. Using an earlier, slower drive results in little improvement over a hard disk.

Note: Adding RAM to improve performance is more cost effective than purchasing an SSD. If money is no object, you're maxed out on installed RAM for your computer, you run Photoshop CS5 as a 64-bit application, and you still want to improve performance, then consider using a solid-state disk as your scratch disk.

Optimize performance | Photoshop CS4, CS5

OP
T

The Day Walker!

In the zone
Thanx topgear, but it's my office pc an no games are allowed in my office so just using it as a scratch disk...... And file storage I believe... That's it. Thanx for helping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom