System fails to boot from CD/DVD without any warning

gigyaster

Journeyman
My friend has this peculiar problem, it wont boot from any bootable CD or DVD. I tried changing the preference of boot to DVD drive in BIOS but the problem still persists. After the system is switched on, it attempts to boot from the CD/DVD by showing a black screen (Not BSOD) but after an interval of few minutes it boots from the HDD. Please Help!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
did you try normal discs with the drive .. the drive is reading those fine ?? try changing the IDE/Sata and power cable of the DVD drive and if possible plug it on some different sata port on the mobo.

Hrishi

Make sure that the Disc you are trying to read is working perfectly on other computers.And that your optical drive is working flawalessly.
If yes ,then Please follow these steps and post the results ,

1.Try to Force The System to Boot from the CD/DVD only. i.e. Choose the Boot From : CD/DVD in the bios boot-menu.
2.Reset your Bios Settings back to default/original and try step 1.

3.Disconnect all Extra devices from the system that are not required. Like any External Graphics Card , Lan Card, etc. I have heard taht certain types of devices (specially some GPUs) , interfere with Bootable Discs.

Btw, are you using IDE or Sata drvies ??? There can be an issue in the jumper setting as well.

If you are using IDE drive then make sure that in the BIOS settings , the IDE auto-detect option is turned on o/w it won't take in bootable discs t boot-up but it will work fine for the OS.

Hrishi

^ I Think he already did that , since its booting first from CD/DVD itself at first. Bit not able to read or detect bootfiles from it..

OP
G

gigyaster

Journeyman
Make sure that the Disc you are trying to read is working perfectly on other computers.And that your optical drive is working flawalessly.
If yes ,then Please follow these steps and post the results ,

1.Try to Force The System to Boot from the CD/DVD only. i.e. Choose the Boot From : CD/DVD in the bios boot-menu.
2.Reset your Bios Settings back to default/original and try step 1.

3.Disconnect all Extra devices from the system that are not required. Like any External Graphics Card , Lan Card, etc. I have heard taht certain types of devices (specially some GPUs) , interfere with Bootable Discs.

Btw, are you using IDE or Sata drvies ??? There can be an issue in the jumper setting as well.

If you are using IDE drive then make sure that in the BIOS settings , the IDE auto-detect option is turned on o/w it won't take in bootable discs t boot-up but it will work fine for the OS.
1. Chosen, but the problem still persists.
2. Did, but again failed to achieve the result.
3. No external graphic card, LAN Card etc hence no external device.

I checked, its an IDE drive and the option is on. But still..arghh..

I missed to inform before that the system is Acer Travelmate 4740Z laptop. Since its a laptop so I'm reluctant to unscrew it.

Last edited:

Hrishi

Since you said , its an IDE drive.Hence the problem might be in the Master & Slave settings.

Can the Windows OS recognize the bootable disc once the OS is loaded ??? I mean , can you read it normally in windows ??
What version of Windows CD/DVD are you using ?? Win7 , XP , VIsta ???
Can your Drive read other DVD/CDs succesfully ??

Does the disc spins at boot-up , before the black screen appears ???

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
another thing Op may try is a bootable linux CD and whether that works or not.

Hrishi

^good idea , it happens at times that it fails to recognize Windows but loads Ubuntu or Fedora.

Top Bottom