Swype for s60 v5 (the most amazing way to enter text on your phone)

Gollum

Collector
I thorought this was only available on android.
Its available for download on softpedia.
With this your default nokia qwerty key pad will be replaced by a new and better looking qwerty and mini qwerty keypad.I'm trying to attach a screen snap but my browser is not letting me do that.
This is compatible with all s60v5 phones like 5230,5233,5235,5800 and x6.

Last edited:

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Yeah, I was using it in my Nokia 5800. But, I would say that it works much better with capacitive touch screens like x6. (Still, for me, it was better than the stock Nokia one ;) )

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@Gollum: cud u pls mention its advantages over the default nokia keypad......???

Swype makes typing lot lot faster. you need not lift your finger to type. Initially, it will be slower and difficult to get used to. After few weeks of use, typing on normal touchpad will look slow and noobish.

Also, the friction that the plastic membrane on resititve touch display generates makes it a bit difficult to master swype when compared to glass based capacitive touch displays. The bigger the display is the better the swype will be.

Top quality hardkey qwerty >>> swype >>> touch qwerty >>> numpad

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Pft_KbGGA&feature=related

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@desiibond,
Completely agree, regarding the capacitive touch. But, don't agree regarding your notion that bigger the display , better the swype.

IMO, it works best on 3.2- 3.7" devices. (Above that, the portrait QWERTY tends to be quite good, plus single hand operation becomes quite difficult, which is the main reason I Swype. Try Swyping in landscape mode to get an idea how it'd be far from optimal in v.big screens. For eg. Galaxy Tab)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@desiibond,
Completely agree, regarding the capacitive touch. But, don't agree regarding your notion that bigger the display , better the swype.

IMO, it works best on 3.2- 3.7" devices. (Above that, the portrait QWERTY tends to be quite good, plus single hand operation becomes quite difficult, which is the main reason I Swype. Try Swyping in landscape mode to get an idea how it'd be far from optimal in v.big screens. For eg. Galaxy Tab)

for bigger screens, you need not use the landscape mode in the first place. The portrait mode will be more than enough and is fast as hell. I feel this after trying swype on Legend and SGS.

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
On a resistive touch screen you can use the stylus and typing is real easy and fun. If your fingers are clean then your fingers will not stick to the screen.
Using it in landscape mode is kind of slow so its better used in the portrait mode.
Another good thing is that it overlays on the current screen so you don't stay away from the working screen.
The layout of this is better than the default nokia keypad.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Lol.you got me wrong. Who in his right mind would use landscape mode for single handed operation?

I meant to say that swyping in landscape mode isn't a good option. You would have a similar experience with bigger screens. So, swyping in a 3.2-3.7"screen is ideal for single handed swyping. :)

Top Bottom