Suse 10.1, Winxp, Ntfs: Clarification Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeNukem

Come get Some
hi bro's

as far or as near "LINUX" is concerned iam next to nothing

curruntly iam running winxpsp2 on pIII 1ghz 256 MB ram i815 and 160 gb HDD moduled into 5 partitions
c: 28 GB | d: 30 GB | e: 30 GB | f: 30 GB | g: 30.9 GB
all ntfs based
c: confines windows xpsp2
d: pure virgin beauty
e: videos
f: mp3's
g: softies

now i have suse 10.1 and i want to go for it with my current config. keeping windows xp intact.

i had to do linux oracle prac.
will oracle express database for linux work on suse 10.1 ?

can i do so

any kinda help will be appriciated (and rewarded)

thanks in advance

waiting ...................

------------------------------------------------------------------------
babes, bombs, bullets man i love this job

drsethi

Journeyman
Yes, it will work
For details
*www.oracle.com/technology/tech/linux/htdocs/oracleonlinux_faq.html
*www.oracle.com/database/index.html
*www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/pdf/dbxe_faq.pdf

OP
DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Come get Some
any thing about installation
i mean i want to install the complete suse 10.1 in my d drive (30 gb ntfs)
can i do so ?
can i achieve dual boot (iam havin xpsp2 on c drive (ntfs)) ?

GUYS JUS TELL/CLARIFY ME THE PARTITION CHOOSING OPTION OF SUSE 10.1 SO THAT I DON END UP IN A HELL OF LOSIN DATA DUE TO MY STUPIDITY

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@DukeNukem, If you are new to Linux. Then have atleast 10 GB of unpartitioned space.
You can either manually allocate 8 GB for 'root' & 1.5 GB for swap or choose the option
"Allocate from the free space available". Suse Linux will automatically allocate the
partitions for 'root' , swap. & 'home'. That's all!! Don't worry dual boot is possible.
In case you have any problems then post your problem here. We'll help you solve it.

OP
DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Come get Some
thanks guys

will do the same first thing today after reaching home. post the results tommarow

once again thanks

OP
DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Installation of SUSE 10.1 is really a horrible experience for me, though not difficult but takes ages to start and any changes made to booting, partitioning, software make my knees shiver as accepting changes takes atleast 7 minutes each (booting,partitioning,software) and above all

INSTALLATION HANGS WHEN COMES THE REAL PART THATS " INSTALLATION"

Can any one pull me up from this (Whole sunday went into drain tryin installing it)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can't expect any modern distro with a full fledged desktop environment and oracle to run on such meagre resources. It will be slow.
Do you get some error during installation? If yes, what is the error? Do you have any graphics card?

OP
DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Come get Some
OK I've Slow PC but it isint soooooooooo slow. i've installed additional 256MB wafer (which makes up 512mb total) and its not faulty.( no grafix card for me onboard vga and sound MB i815)

I dont recieve any errors during installation
formatting the partitions and mounting process goes smooth but when the installation begin my pc Hangs.

other linux distro installation goes fine with me (like mandarke 9.1)

mehulved

5GB is way too much for swap. Anything more than 1GB doesn't make sense with 512MB RAM. At the most give 1.5GB but I still feel that will be too high. Anything between 750MB to 1GB should do actually.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
the system config is ok. The processor is a bottleneck, but should work ok. SWAP should not slow the install. But where does it hang?

If the slide show for install has already started, try selecting the expert tab and find where it hangs. Also since this is the first time you are installing, do try to keep the softwares to be installed to the bare minimum. I mean, just go with the default softwares installed.

hope it works.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@DukeNukem, 1.5 GB is enough for swap. You may allocate 10 or 15 GB for root('/'),
it's upto you. Also boot using Suse Linux CD/DVD in Safe Graphics Mode.
Start the installation process. I think this should solve your 'PC hangs' problem.

OP
DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Mission acomplished

but iam in another prob (i wonder what u gut\y's are thinkin of me)
i some how manage to currupt the display settings in SUSE 10.1
(by changing it thru sax) now i can get the GUI os SUSE, monitor light goes drunk while starting GUI.

one more thing how to change gnome into kde and vice versa ???

guys please prompt replies, its really urgent.

mehulved

Have you installed both GNOME and KDE? Then you can select it while logging in.
Aren't you able to change display back with sax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom