[Survey] How many of you have a paid/work/ISP e-mail account?

Do you have a paid/work/ISP e-mail account?

• Total voters

Sarath

iDota
I am a student too. I don't know how I would get one or if I have use for any.

However this looks interesting. By interesting, I mean, I am definitely getting one.

my personal email id is in this format [firstname]@[lastname].me :)

purchased a domain on go daddy fro about 350 bucks

Once I graduate, I will hook up an ID like this for me.

Krow

Crowman
Not good then. Not everyone has a custom domain name. And most of our new entrants are students, who don't have non-free emails.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
It makes no difference if you are registered already. It will only affect the new registrants.

Register using less common free webmail like AOL mail or Live.in if you want to. But Yahoo.com/co.in, Hotmail.com and Gmail.com registrations are 95% spam.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Going by the poll,its fair to say that this is not feasible.
Even the registered members don't have it.Think about the hassle for a desperate newbie who might not have an idea about ISP email.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Going by the poll,its fair to say that this is not feasible.
Even the registered members don't have it.Think about the hassle for a desperate newbie who might not have an idea about ISP email.
tbf, the same desperate newbie posts his thread 3-4 times when he sees his post didn't get published immediately. Then he has to wait for mod approval and sometimes it can take quite a time. Posts stack up on a minutely basis.

I'm okay with less common free webmails.

Krow

Crowman
New members keep our forum active with various queries. Think how many of us have grown here just by replying to new hardware requirement queries. Also imagine someone from a small town registering here after reading the mag. Their first foray into the tech world should not be such a hassle.

I think we should find other ways like displaying a prominent message saying do not post again until mods' approval or something. And we can even reduce moderation of post count to 5.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
all right. I'll have a talk with other admins about implementing some kind of passkey.

1) Unregistered members click the Register button.
2) The page asks for a passkey first. To continue he needs to write a mail with the subject 'register' to, let's say abcdef [at] whatever.com
3) The passkey is sent to him instantly and he continues with the registration.

Passkey will change on a weekly basis.

I think spammers won't be willing to take such hassle only for registering. Genuine people who really want to register will still register.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Disable new users to post links of any type till the post count reaches 5. Yahoo! and all other services are most common. Yes we will miss too many new members. They are who that keep forum active. Make new thread we reply and they profit :)

I have had a sort of Eureka moment :D

Why not ask Raabo sir to post a password on the magazine itself so that new members can join this forum afterall most of us were/Are magazine readers?
That way I think the problem might be solved.
All those who will see it from search engine etc will not have password should be made to contact a member for the passcode?
What do you think?
If they spam then ip need blocking :?:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Not good then. Not everyone has a custom domain name. And most of our new entrants are students, who don't have non-free emails.

Actually having a domain is the one that costs and in 2011 having a personal domain (.me for abt Rs. 450) is equal to movie ticket + popcorn + softdrink (atleast in bangalore :p) .

You only need a domain name and no need for a hosting service for emails to works.

PS: you do need to renew the domain name every year :p

iinfi

mekalodu
All I want to know is...do you have a 'duniya se hatke' e-mail account whether paid, given to you by your ISP or office.

I am asking this because I need to curb spam and I want to force regsitrations through legit mail accounts. Simply put, I am thinking of banning Gmail, Yahoo, Rediff and Hotmail.

I had posted a long rant earlier: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community-discussions/143087-india-china-spammers.html

We moderate first 10 posts of every member manually. It is a PITA for us...and perhaps for the new member too when he sees his post isn't published straightaway. A bit of delay, we feel the member has suffered. In most cases, a new member posts the same thing 4-5 times more. Again burden for us.

How do large forums cope up? They ban popular webmail accounts. People who want to register will still register anyhow. That's my point.

by banning popular webmail accounts u will end up losing on many legit folks who might want to register. Spammers will get a new domain or anything anyway and will still spam.
kids in the age group of 14-18 will only have gmail/yahoo IDs.
further, the moment you block gmail and yahoo, spammers will anyhow find a new way to spam.
we understand ur frustration and appreciate ur efforts in keeping the forum clean ...
talk more on how the automated registrations take place..someone mite be able to help.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Registrations aren't automated. These are Indian/Chinese human spammers paid on an hourly basis to solve CAPTCHAs and spam.

I'm looking into implementing what I wrote in my previous post. Perhaps, one more layer of security to annoy them. I completely understand banning free mail will be detrimental to the forum community. :)

iinfi

mekalodu
missed this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community-discussions/143087-india-china-spammers-2.html

add a line on the registration page saying "This forum is being monitored by local police, crime branch and FBI. "

1. block all traffic originating from China
2. block multiple registrations from the same IP for a month

what say?

Sarath

iDota
well, for SMSing you need two things:

1) SMS exchange service
2) vBulletin modding for integration.

verdict? totally totally unrealistic to implement.

I don't know much about it but this does seem like a good idea. Registering using ones numbers can decrease fake / spam accounts.

Or you can create a seperate section for newbies while the rest of the forum is hidden for them and see their posts. Or better still make a mandatory "Introduction" post only after which the forum opens to them on approval of that post.

Top Bottom