Suggestions needed on this Intel Core i5 Gaming rig..

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Watt is a unit, not a measured quantity. The equation is P = I * V (power = current * voltage), but even this only applies to resistive loads in a DC circuit. That's why you see UPS rated at VAC(with approximate some watt rating).

- - - Updated - - -

Try my method pick 3 100W filament bulbs(Rs.10-15 each) and connect to the UPS and run and see how long it lasts.

charge the ups,say, for a continuous 16hrs. and see whether the problem persists.

this

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
charge the ups,say, for a continuous 16hrs. and see whether the problem persists.

Yes charge the UPS for at least 12 hours and then see if it is giving backup or not because when I bought my APC 600VA it wasn't giving me any backup but after several hours of charging now its working normally as my max requirement is 480w including the monitor.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
A 500W 80+ bronze certified PSU's power draw @100% load will be calculated like
Active power factor correction = .9 (most consumer PSU have this rating)

500/(.81*.9) = 686VA

80+ bronze is atleast 81% efficiency

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Did you or the guy did UPS self diagonistics?

He didn't do anything.

Watt is a unit, not a measured quantity. The equation is P = I * V (power = current * voltage), but even this only applies to resistive loads in a DC circuit. That's why you see UPS rated at VAC(with approximate some watt rating).

- - - Updated - - -

Try my method pick 3 100W filament bulbs(Rs.10-15 each) and connect to the UPS and run and see how long it lasts.

this

Ok. I'll see about this. My UPS is on charge since morning. By the time I get back home it should already be on charging for 11 hours.
However, it did provide 20 mins backup on idle/light usage so I doubt the batteries are at fault.

Yes charge the UPS for at least 12 hours and then see if it is giving backup or not because when I bought my APC 600VA it wasn't giving me any backup but after several hours of charging now its working normally as my max requirement is 480w including the monitor.

Like I said, it does provide backup when the system is idle.

A 500W 80+ bronze certified PSU's power draw @100% load will be calculated like
Active power factor correction = .9 (most consumer PSU have this rating)

500/(.81*.9) = 686VA

80+ bronze is atleast 81% efficiency
Do you mean VA or Watts here?
So you mean to say that if my system components take 300W(going by anandtech's calculation of 270-280W + adding 20-30 watts on it) it is effectively drawing 300/(0.81x0.9) = ~412W from the UPS? Add another 30W of the monitor and 6W from the Router and another 5W for any variance as such it is still 453W.
Now if the UPS itself is 90% efficient then we have a problem. If it is designed to give 480W then I should be okay.
PS - my PSU states 87% efficiency so that should be under 400W.

I'm sure I'm cutting it close because the UPS has that clicking sound which seems like it just exceeds the threshold within seconds and shuts down. Perhaps if I had like 25W lesser I wouldn't face this problem? (Just guessing)

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
When I called APC they explained me a self diagonistics procedure to check if the UPS was at fault. They should have done that to you also

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
When I called APC they explained me a self diagonistics procedure to check if the UPS was at fault. They should have done that to you also

Yeah. Holding down the reset button etc. I tried all of that. Also tried changing the sensitivity from medium to high. Still nothing.

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Yeah. Holding down the reset button etc. I tried all of that. Also tried changing the sensitivity from medium to high. Still nothing.
Medium to high will create problem in battery mode. Try low also. But I think its PSU and UPS incompatibility issue.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Do you mean VA or Watts here?
I meant VA

W = PSU rated Power/(efficiency/100) W = xxx Watts
VA = xxx/power factor of PSU

example : for a 500W rates PSU with 87% efficiency with PF =0.9 on 100% load(i.e. the PC drawing 500W)

Watts drawn from UPS = 500/.87 = 575 W
VA rating at this point = 575 /0.9 = 639 VA

For this load to be run from a UPS(assuming no other load is connected except that PSU), the UPS VA rating must be > 639VA and Watt rating must be > 575W

Hope this makes things clear.

- - - Updated - - -

btw consumer PSUs efficiency is not constant across its entire load range

aniket.cain

Padawan
I have a M12II 750W PSU, and an APC-BackUPS Pro 1000 (1000VA/600W), and I have not faced any such compatibility issues. I had this issue with my other Intex UPS (600VA), which couldn't handle heavy games, and used to overload.

This APC one has a display which can show the current power consumption, and according to it my system (in sig. - OC to 4.3GHz) draws 375-380W when playing Crysis 3 or BF4. Idle consumption is around 80W. So a 800VA UPS should be fine for such loads.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
I have a M12II 750W PSU, and an APC-BackUPS Pro 1000 (1000VA/600W), and I have not faced any such compatibility issues. I had this issue with my other Intex UPS (600VA), which couldn't handle heavy games, and used to overload.

This APC one has a display which can show the current power consumption, and according to it my system (in sig. - OC to 4.3GHz) draws 375-380W when playing Crysis 3 or BF4. Idle consumption is around 80W. So a 800VA UPS should be fine for such loads.

This is helpful. I'm guessing the M12II's internal components of your 750 and my 520 should be more or less similar? Damnit, if only I had a kill-o-watt meter kind of thing. I'm hoping my PSU is not inefficient and it is entirely the UPS's fault here.

Will follow up with APC again.

Thanks!

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Is it advisable that I upgrade from a 270x to a Sapphire DualX HD7970(freshly RMA'd)? The additional I will have to pay is around 3k. What do you think? ( [MENTION=95020]avinandan012[/MENTION] , [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] , [MENTION=98996]aniket.cain[/MENTION] , [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION], [MENTION=154031]nomad47[/MENTION])

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
how much warranty remaining for that 7970? remember high end gpus may have used for mining purposes and are selling for dirt cheap rates. so beware.

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Agree with [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION]. If it is used for mining then you are better off without it. AMD may even decline to honor warranty if the GPU was used for mining .

But if it was RMA'd it was repaired or is it a new seal pack? If new sealed pack then you can go for it

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Agree with [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION]. If it is used for mining then you are better off without it. AMD may even decline to honor warranty if the GPU was used for mining .

But if it was RMA'd it was repaired or is it a new seal pack? If new sealed pack then you can go for it

I already bought it :-/ I'm not sure I am supposed to put links here. But here is the card - For Sale : Graphic Card Sapphire 7970 DUAL-X - Free Shipping.

He said it hasn't been used for mining at all and is a brand new card. Did I just get ripped off? :S

how much warranty remaining for that 7970? remember high end gpus may have used for mining purposes and are selling for dirt cheap rates. so beware.

It says 1 year and 8 months

Last edited:

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Checked the thread. And its not used for mining than well and good. But even if it was used, as it was RMAed it can be done again. I think you are safe from that point.
While using the card keep a lookout for ailing fan in the GPU. The fan usually fails first in a card used for mining. How much did it cost? Did the seller mention the reason for RMA?

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Checked the thread. And its not used for mining than well and good. But even if it was used, as it was RMAed it can be done again. I think you are safe from that point.
While using the card keep a lookout for ailing fan in the GPU. The fan usually fails first in a card used for mining. How much did it cost? Did the seller mention the reason for RMA?

he said it just died all of a sudden. He also has an R9 280x on sale which is priced at 16.8k
14k shipped was the price which I think is a good bargain. The GPU looks new in the pic as well and the guy sounded legit when i spoke to him on the phone.. Fingers crossed.
Should I have bargained on the price more? I can already see that this is the lowest anyone has charged for an RMA'd new 7970 which has more than 1.5 years warranty on it. Couldn't find anything similar on OLX as well.

More of an impulsive buying kind of thing. God bless my SMPS and that wretched APC 800VA UPS!

PS - What price can I sell my Sapphire R9 270X Dual X for? It has around 2years 7 months warranty on it

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I already bought it :-/ I'm not sure I am supposed to put links here. But here is the card - For Sale : Graphic Card Sapphire 7970 DUAL-X - Free Shipping.

He said it hasn't been used for mining at all and is a brand new card. Did I just get ripped off? :S

It says 1 year and 8 months

we can't always blindly believe what the seller tells ;). .anyway, since you have already bought, wait for the card and then game :D

- - - Updated - - -

PS - What price can I sell my Sapphire R9 270X Dual X for? It has around 2years 7 months warranty on it

sell for 11k-12k.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Received the card and it's in perfect mint condition.. looks brand new(did not have the tapes on though but scratchless and no dust to be seen).. put it into my system and it works fine as well..
Should I check anything else as well?

Here'a pic -
*i.imgur.com/XWZgTX0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
try some games and if the card perform well, then nothing to worry about.

I did and they don't seem to crash or anything. I can see a noticeable frame rate improvement in games. For instance, the in-game benchmark in Tomb Raider gave an average FPS of 60.5 on the 270x at ultra settings. On the 7970, it gives an average frame rate of 78 fps.
Similarly Bioshock Infinite has gone up from 72-73 frames to 88-92 frames.

PS - The APC problem persists. No engineer has re-visited. My complaint is still open. Even with the 7970, the PC does not shut down while playing FIFA 13. Yet, it shuts down instantly while playing other games. :-/

Top Bottom