Suggestions needed on this Intel Core i5 Gaming rig..

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Hello again! This time I'll be putting together a PC for myself. Here's the basic questionnaire -

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: Gaming - Battlefield 4, Bioshock Infinite, Need for Speed - next iterations, Crysis Franchise, Skyrim, Batman Franchise, FIFA 14, 15, 16....20

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 25000

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Window 8

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:Yes, a 21" 1080p monitor that shows no ghosting.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I've already bought an i5-4570, 2x4GB of Corsair vengeance 1600 Mhz RAM and a Sapphire R9 - 270X.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: 1st week of June

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No but can try my hand at it. Else, will do it with the help of an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: New Delhi.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: The PC NEEDS to handle all current games. I won't be overclocking. Well actually, I can't.

Please suggest the remaining components. I did some research and could arrive at this system -

Motherboard - Gigabyte B85 based mobo - Rs. 5600
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB - Rs. 3800
PSU - Antec VP550 - Rs. 3650
Keyboard + Mouse - Logitech MK200 - combo - Rs. 750
Display - 21" 1080p - Rs. 9000
Cabinet - Local - Rs. 700

TOTAL - Rs. 23500

1. Which monitor should I go for? I read that the Dell 2240L has ghosting issues in games like FIFA. I wouldn't want a monitor that suffers from this. Is there an alternate monitor which has equally good reputation and is better at gaming?

2. Will a local cabinet suffice(for now) or do I need a branded one right away? If yes, which one would that be? I really like the Corsair Spec 02/03 and also the NZXT Phantom 630(way too expensive for me) but they are over my budget. Then, there is the Deepcool Tesseract BF and CM Force 500 which come under my budget.
The only thing I wish is if any of these had 2 front USB 3 ports. Are there any other good looking cases that have good cable management and look good? :-/

3. Any 800VA UPS around 2k? I know APC makes some stellar UPS but I can't put in that much money into a UPS right now. A 600VA will probably fall short. How are the Microtek UPSes?

What do you guys think about the build?

Any changes/recommendations?

Thanks

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
all chosen components are good except the cabinet. a good cabinet is always recommended. if you are looking for a good one with good cable management options, then drop the idea of getting cm force 500. deepcool tessaract is much better. if you can get corsair spec 03, then that is even better.
for the monitor , check AOC I2269VWM. look for reviews.
always go with reliable ups. so apc gets my vote.
for the mouse, see if you can get lenovo m6811 for around rs 700. it is laser mouse with 1600dpi.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M-D3H - Rs. 5500
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB - Rs. 3800
PSU - Antec VP550 - Rs. 3650
Keyboard + Mouse - Logitech MK200 - Rs. 700
Display - Dell S2240L LED IPS 21" - Rs. 8200
Cabinet - Deepcool TESSERACT - Rs. 2700
UPS - APC 600VA UPS - Rs. 2100
TOTAL -26,600.

But APC 1100VA UPS @ 5.4k or CyberPower BU1000 VA UPS @ 4.4k is recommended.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
will a 6000VA UPS work? I doubt since the total power draw at max load should be around 370W. Does anyone have a hands on experience of the AOC monitor?
My friend has an AOC VS19 and it comes with 2ms GTG response time. yet, games like fifa suffer from ghosting.
Any other monitor in this range?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
will a 6000VA UPS work? I doubt since the total power draw at max load should be around 370W. Does anyone have a hands on experience of the AOC monitor?
My friend has an AOC VS19 and it comes with 2ms GTG response time. yet, games like fifa suffer from ghosting.
Any other monitor in this range?

no..definitely not recommended under load.
the person who suggested apc 600va itself had bought it for his rig having 650 ti boost and 2 days later told that it is not giving any backup while gaming and was looking to sell it. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

what is his configuration??

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
no..definitely not recommended under load.
the person who suggested apc 600va itself had bought it for his rig having 650 ti boost and 2 days later told that it is not giving any backup while gaming and was looking to sell it. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

what is his configuration??

He has a very old pc. It has an Intel Pentium E5200 processor, Gigabyte G41 motherboard, 4GB Corsair Vengeance, 1TB WD HDD, CX430 PSU and a Saaphire HD7750.
The framerate is well over 60fps... around 250+ fps at all times(if v-sync is off). I see ghosting with vsync on. The game is smooth as silk though

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Urgent assistance needed. I need to pick a monitor asap. Should I go with the Dell S2240L? The other options are -
Benq GW2255, Dell E2014H, AOC E2060SW, LG 20M35D.
I don't want ghosting issues as such. Please comment. There's a 10% off on flipkart on these monitors. The 2240L is costing ~ Rs. 8000 which I think is a steal. The only concern is the response times.
HELP!

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
2240l is decent monitor and am yet to face any ghosting issues. And 8k is a really good price for it

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
[MENTION=154031]nomad47[/MENTION] - have you played fifa on this? how's the response time then? which games have you played? Also, is the E2014 better at gaming?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
[MENTION=154031]nomad47[/MENTION] - have you played fifa on this? how's the response time then? which games have you played? Also, is the E2014 better at gaming?

dell s2240l. no to the 20" screen. if you can find AOC i2269vwm, that is also a good monitor.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
dell s2240l. no to the 20" screen. if you can find AOC i2269vwm, that is also a good monitor.

Is the AOC i2269vwm worth the 1.5k premium over the Dell? I like the monitor better than the Dell S2240L because of the better response time and a non reflective display.
Alternatively, I could buy the E2014H for now and maybe get an AOC i2369w later. Is that a wise thing to do?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Is the AOC i2269vwm worth the 1.5k premium over the Dell? I like the monitor better than the Dell S2240L because of the better response time and a non reflective display.
Alternatively, I could buy the E2014H for now and maybe get an AOC i2369w later. Is that a wise thing to do?

wouldn't that be an added expense??

nomad47

Cyborg Agent

I have played Crysis 3, AC4 etc on it. No FIFA. The AOC monitor has better specs but is also costly. Don't buy the AOC from online retailers as you may face warranty problem. If you buy it buy locally

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
wouldn't that be an added expense??

I meant like a year down the line. Any decent 23-24 inch monitor selling then. I'm coming from a 1366x768 laptop display so any of these monitors look like an upgrade to me. However, I'm still open to a reasonable argument on this. I don't know. totally confused :p

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Hello again. I've been running short of money. Still haven't put together a PC.
I was contemplating changing a few things since the original config is going out of budget.

I still have the R9 270x, 8gb RAM and processor. If I sell the 270x and get a 750ti instead, will it be able to pull its weight at a resolution of 1600x900?

Here are the changes I was considering -
Motherboard - AS Rock H81m-HDS - Rs. 4000
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB - Rs. 3550
PSU - Antec VP450P - Rs. 2400
Keyboard + Mouse - Logitech MK200 - combo - Rs. 750
Display - 19.5" 900p Dell E2014H - Rs. 6000
Cabinet - Local - Rs. 700
UPS - APC 600VA - 2350

Total - 20k

TOTAL - Rs. 23500

If I continue with the previous system, I'll have to shell out a lot more money since
1) I would need a branded, bigger cabinet to accommodate the 270X
2) I would require a 550W SMPS to power the rig
3) A minimum of 800VA UPS

What are your guys suggestions?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
a 600va ups would be a waste for that system and better skip it now. selling 270x is also a bad idea. some local case will be able to accommodate 270x. you better check dimensions.
if you are so tight on budget, what about postponing it to next month or until you get enough cash? that is just my suggestion though. 270x can be powered by antec vp450p though you might need a molex converter. getting vp550p makes sense though.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
a 600va ups would be a waste for that system and better skip it now. selling 270x is also a bad idea. some local case will be able to accommodate 270x. you better check dimensions.
if you are so tight on budget, what about postponing it to next month or until you get enough cash? that is just my suggestion though. 270x can be powered by antec vp450p though you might need a molex converter. getting vp550p makes sense though.

Won't a 600VA(360W I believe) UPS be able to power an i5-4570 along with a maxwell 750ti? I don't think it should have any problem as the total power draw should not exceed 250W (including the monitor).

Is the 750 ti really that bad? I plan to overclock it to its capacity since I've seen that an OC 750ti reaches the level of a stock 270(not 270x).

Another month.. ahh.. that seems so far away ;)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Won't a 600VA(360W I believe) UPS be able to power an i5-4570 along with a maxwell 750ti? I don't think it should have any problem as the total power draw should not exceed 250W (including the monitor).

Is the 750 ti really that bad? I plan to overclock it to its capacity since I've seen that an OC 750ti reaches the level of a stock 270(not 270x).

Another month.. ahh.. that seems so far away ;)

do no go for a lower end gpu GeForce GTX 750 Ti In Battlefield 4 - Tom's Hardware. selling it is not a good idea.
with 270x consider assume your total system power consumption is around 280W. since the psu is not 100% efficient, it will draw more power from ups. assuming your psu efficiency as 80%, total power drawn by vp450p will be equal to 350W, monitor extra and do you think you will get the 'required' back up?

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
do no go for a lower end gpu GeForce GTX 750 Ti In Battlefield 4 - Tom's Hardware. selling it is not a good idea.
with 270x consider assume your total system power consumption is around 280W. since the psu is not 100% efficient, it will draw more power from ups. assuming your psu efficiency as 80%, total power drawn by vp450p will be equal to 350W, monitor extra and do you think you will get the 'required' back up?

Okay you have a point there.. I'll try going to nehru place today and see what the prices are. The only backup I need is for 1 minute max! Since my society's gensets kick in after 20 seconds. Its just that the PC should not shut down in that mean time.

PS - do you know if I can get the Gigabyte B85M-D3H in Nehru Place at a price equivalent to Snapdeal's? It was Rs. 5202 today afternoon. By the time I ordered it, the price changed to Rs. 5368! (while I was on payment page! wth!!). So I cancelled that order and was wondering if I can pick up the board from Nehru Place at an equivalent price. What do you say?

I'll be shopping for a few components this week. Let me know if anything needs to change. Here's what I'm getting -
1. An APC 800 VA UPS - (What price should this be? sells for 4200 on ebay)
2. A cheapest 500/600VA UPS for my router
3. An AOC i2269VWM monitor
4. Antec VP550P (have already ordered it on COD via snapdeal. If I find a lower/equal price in the market, I'll cancel that order)
5. Gigabyte B85M-D3H motherboard (what do you have to say about ASRock H81M-HDS?)
6. WD 1TB blue
7. Generic Cabinet (for now)

Please comment and thank you for replying patiently!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
for 1 minute, probably 600va may do. but i dont really know.
5.3k for that board is still a good price. why to choose an h81 instead of b85?
if you buy cheapest , you will end up spending twice. so no to a cheap ups. why do you wanna buy a separate ups for router?

Top Bottom