Suggestions needed on this Intel Core i5 Gaming rig..

cooldude94

Journeyman
This should help you found this after some searching

Weird Power Issue [PSU/UPS]

According to this at max load

520Watts PSU
80% Efficient
so the maximum my SMPS may draw is 520x100/80 = 650 Watts
Bear in mind, its 650Watts and not 650VA
a modified sine wave has a power factor on 0.6
650/0.6 = 1083.33va

So you may need to change the ups

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
I never said S12II has any problem.

I tried a modified BIOS and lowered the voltage from default 1.238V to 1.156V. Also reduced the core clock from 1070 to 950 MHz. Tried running Unigine Heaven and turned off the mains. A very shaky alarm tone came from the UPS and it shut down within 5-7 seconds.

There is no way the system is even drawing 300W. Please check the HIS R9 270's power consumption here - AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 270X & R9 270 Review: Feat. Asus & HIS.

Its 239W. My voltage is even below what HIS has. I should not be drawing more than 250W at max.

Also, if its the sinewave thing, shouldn't the PC shut down when I'm not playing games and the lights go off? Then it works fine.

Should I contact APC?

- - - Updated - - -

520Watts PSU
80% Efficient
650/0.6 = 1083.33va

Damnit, that means I need an APC 1100VA. Totally broke now. :-/

Nerevarine

Incarnate

520Watts PSU
80% Efficient
650/0.6 = 1083.33va

A psu rated at say 530 watt WILL NEVER use that much amount of power unless the system is asking for it.. 530 watt is HUGE in terms of PC components, typically an extreme high end single gpu card + a high end CPU will consume that much power, at full load..

Besides that your logic is flawed, you just cant simply multiply 2 numbers to calculate the amount of power consumed by PSU in full capacity load.. 80 + efficiency means of the total input power, 80 percent is effectively utilized by the components and the rest is dissipated as waste..

What you said about the UPS could be true, though.. A good UPS is always welcome for any build

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
I am using a s12II 620 with APC 1.1kVA. Although I had some random UPS shutdown even when main supply was online, never faced any problem while gaming on battery. For my problem I contacted APC customer support and they were very helpful. Although they and myself are yet to figure out what caused the shutdowns the problem vanished as it came. My assumption is the battery was not fully charged and due to voltage fluctuations the UPS went to battery mode and tripped everytime in my Case. Contact APC support. There are some very helpful guys out there.

I tried a modified BIOS and lowered the voltage from default 1.238V to 1.156V. Also reduced the core clock from 1070 to 950 MHz. Tried running Unigine Heaven and turned off the mains. A very shaky alarm tone came from the UPS and it shut down within 5-7 seconds.

There is no way the system is even drawing 300W. Please check the HIS R9 270's power consumption here - AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 270X & R9 270 Review: Feat. Asus & HIS.

Its 239W. My voltage is even below what HIS has. I should not be drawing more than 250W at max.

Also, if its the sinewave thing, shouldn't the PC shut down when I'm not playing games and the lights go off? Then it works fine.

Should I contact APC?

- - - Updated - - -

Damnit, that means I need an APC 1100VA. Totally broke now. :-/

It's simply a compatibility problem between that PSU and that UPS. Neither Back-UPS nor Back-UPS Pro gives pure sine wave. You'll need an even higher variant. Try to sell that PSU and get an S12II.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, contact APC about this too and see if they can do anything.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

Should I contact APC?

tried to contact apc.

- - - Updated - - -

520Watts PSU
80% Efficient
650/0.6 = 1083.33va

his system will never push the psu to maximum load.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
tried to contact apc.

his system will never push the psu to maximum load.

It's simply a compatibility problem between that PSU and that UPS. Neither Back-UPS nor Back-UPS Pro gives pure sine wave. You'll need an even higher variant. Try to sell that PSU and get an S12II.

Anyways, contact APC about this too and see if they can do anything.

Okay, today morning I reset the clocks to default 1070MHz and the voltage was still at 1.156V. The UPS did not shut down while playing Tomb Raider. ALTHOUGH, the UPS's beep sounded like it was ill or dying and I could also hear a lot of 'tut' 'tut' sounds from it before it finally shut down (in 50 seconds flat).

I've contacted APC too. They've asked me to reset the router, discharge it and charge it once again. If the problem persists they would send an engineer to come take a look and repair/replace the product.
I'll try resetting it later when I go back home.

I went straight from an Antec VP550P to M12II. S12II and M12II are the same models, sans the modular part. The S12II you linked to earlier was a 430W unit that did not have that problem. Are you sure its a PSU thing? If it is, why doesn't it shut down when the PC is not under too much load?

PS - Really appreciate you guys helping me out. Thank you everyone!

I am using a s12II 620 with APC 1.1kVA. Although I had some random UPS shutdown even when main supply was online, never faced any problem while gaming on battery. For my problem I contacted APC customer support and they were very helpful. Although they and myself are yet to figure out what caused the shutdowns the problem vanished as it came. My assumption is the battery was not fully charged and due to voltage fluctuations the UPS went to battery mode and tripped everytime in my Case. Contact APC support. There are some very helpful guys out there.

Glad it worked out for you. Maybe they can do something about it for me as well. Is it possible to ask them to give me a 1.1KVA UPS if this one goes for replacement? I could pay the difference amount as such

^ The M12II is a modular S12II with a different PFC. You cna google for more details on 'M12II with stepped appriximated UPS' and you'll find details. I don't remember the page bit it said S12II 430, S12II 520 and M12II all have different PFC modules.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
^ The M12II is a modular S12II with a different PFC. You cna google for more details on 'M12II with stepped appriximated UPS' and you'll find details. I don't remember the page bit it said S12II 430, S12II 520 and M12II all have different PFC modules.
This is what was written on xBit Labs -

"Like the S12-II 520, this PSU refused to work normally with my UPS. It was stable at loads up to 350 watts when powered by the mains but did not work after switching to the batteries.

Thus, I can suppose that the high-wattage S12-II and M12-II series models have a different active PFC design than the low-wattage models and cannot work normally with UPSes that have non-sinusoid output voltage. The S12-II 430, having a somewhat different interior design than the S12-II 520 and M12-II 620, had no problems working with my UPS."

I think I'll wait for the APC guy to take a look once and then decide on the course of action. What if the UPS is faulty? I would lose out on an otherwise brilliant PSU. :)

PS - what price can I expect for the PSU if I sell it? and also what price for the UPS if I have to sell that instead?

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
i wont advice you to sell the psu. let us see what apc can offer.

I registered a complaint with them yesterday. The executive assured that it seems more like the UPS's fault, there is probably leakage inside. They have asked an engineer to visit my place who, btw, called today morning and said "Sir, aapke computer me graphics card laga hoga. Ushi se dikkat hoti hai. Bina uske sahi chalta hai. Ye complaint kai baar aayi hai"

So I told the guy that my friend has a similar config and his 800va Microtek(Promax actually) can power his PC for 20 mins while gaming.

I made him understand that the total output cannot be more that 300W and when the UPS is capable of handling loads upto 480W, why is it a problem?

He's agreed to come take a look.

Meanwhile, the executive at the support line did assure that APC will replace the UPS if it is at fault.

**fingers crossed**

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Nothing. The guy comes and says I need a 1500VA UPS. Too much load.. I told him its not even 350W. He says "wo nahi chalega Sir. Kuch bhi karo, nahi chalega. 480W likha hai output par nahi chalega"
What do i do now? Complain to APC again?
I don't agree with APC having stellar customer support.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
...... the UPS's beep sounded like it was ill or dying and I could also hear a lot of 'tut' 'tut' sounds from it before it finally shut down (in 50 seconds flat).

That happens when you pull loads higher than the APC UPS can provide or the battery charge is very low.
Do a simple test it would clear all confusion. Get a pure resistive load of 350W( 3 100 W bulbs + a 50 W bulb) and run it on battery on he UPS. If it runs then its your PSU the culprit.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding PSU efficiency it depends on operating temperature and Humidity.
A psu is 80% efficient when it draws 100W from the wall to deliver 80W to components, rest 20W is convertion loss + heat

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Nothing. The guy comes and says I need a 1500VA UPS. Too much load.. I told him its not even 350W. He says "wo nahi chalega Sir. Kuch bhi karo, nahi chalega. 480W likha hai output par nahi chalega"
What do i do now? Complain to APC again?
I don't agree with APC having stellar customer support.

1500va, really! you should e-mail this matter to apc and see what their reply is. your system will hardly draw more than 300W .AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 270X & R9 270 Review: Feat. Asus & HIS . assuming an efficiency of 80% or more, expect 350W or less.

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
1.5kVA really? I use a 290 for god's sake in 1.1kVA. That engineer must be crazy. Shoot a mail to APC.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Probably your batteries are bad. 800VA UPS should atleast give backup to your config for 5 mins(assuming 2x12V 7Ah batteries inside).
Did the APC guy check the batteries??

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Probably your batteries are bad. 800VA UPS should atleast give backup to your config for 5 mins(assuming 2x12V 7Ah batteries inside).
Did the APC guy check the batteries??
Nope, he did nothing.. I just started Bioshock infinite and turned off the mains.. BAM! the UPS trembled,, "tit tit" sounds could be heard and then.. and then..my friends.. the inevitable happened..
Sorry for being dramatic,, totally pissed :D
In short, the UPS died in flat 4 seconds and the guy blamed my graphics card for it without even wanting to know what my system config was.

Top Bottom