Suggestions needed on this Intel Core i5 Gaming rig..

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
i have logitech k120 and pressing right Alt+4 gives rupee symbol on windows 8.1. ₹.
it is simply written as Alt though(no AltGr)

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Anyways, used page source to access image source. Monitor looks sleek. Cable management needs a lot of work.

BTW does the AltGr key on your Logitech MK200 work in Windows 8.1 (check by pressing AltGr + 4 to get rupee symbol)? It worked in Win 8 but doesn't work in 8.1 for me.

I'm still on Windows 8. Will check it out later tonight and confirm. Can you guide me how to re-do the cables properly?

I'm still on Windows 8. Will check it out later tonight and confirm. Can you guide me how to re-do the cables properly?

> Tuck the ATX 24 pin cable and USB 3.0 cable more into the gourmet, behind the motherboard tray.

> The front panel button connector cable is lying loose near the PSU. Route this through the available gourmet , from behind the motherboard tray.

> Try to route the CPU 8 pin connector cable from behind the motherboard tray.

Do you also have side intake fans? ANd you should get another 120 mm fan for top exhaust.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
> Tuck the ATX 24 pin cable and USB 3.0 cable more into the gourmet, behind the motherboard tray.

> The front panel button connector cable is lying loose near the PSU. Route this through the available gourmet , from behind the motherboard tray.

> Try to route the CPU 8 pin connector cable from behind the motherboard tray.

Do you also have side intake fans? ANd you should get another 120 mm fan for top exhaust.

I'll see what I can do with that.. I have a side window. There is space for 2 120mm fans on the top though. The 8 pin CPU pin connector cannot be routed any other way. I've tried it and it looks even worse.

PS - Alt Gr + 4 = ₹ :)

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Guys I'm facing a problem. My UPS just shuts down while playing games like Tomb Raider, BF4, Splinter Cell, etc when the power goes off.. Nothing is overclocked. The total draw should not be more than 430W (for the system+monitor). What should I do?
I have an APC 800VA/480W UPS

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Guys I'm facing a problem. My UPS just shuts down while playing games like Tomb Raider, BF4, Splinter Cell, etc when the power goes off.. Nothing is overclocked. The total draw should not be more than 430W (for the system+monitor). What should I do?
I have an APC 800VA/480W UPS

Exactly the same problem I faced when I bought my APC 600VA (370w) UPS 3months ago for the configuration in my siggy.
Even APC 800VA UPS is not sufficient only 1000VA (650w) UPS is sufficient when playing demanding games which is APC 110VA (660w) UPS.
So the cheapest 1000VA (650w) UPS I found was CyberPower BU1000 VA UPS @ 4k

While browsing, listening to songs and seeing movies the APC 600 VA UPS supports me fully but while playing GPU intensive games only it does not support at all.

PS:OP has to change his present 800VA to at least 1000VA UPS to fully support his system.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Exactly the same problem I faced when I bought my APC 600VA (370w) UPS 3months ago for the configuration in my siggy.
Even APC 800VA UPS is not sufficient only 1000VA (650w) UPS is sufficient when playing demanding games which is APC 110VA (660w) UPS.
So the cheapest 1000VA (650w) UPS I found was CyberPower BU1000 VA UPS @ 4k

While browsing, listening to songs and seeing movies the APC 600 VA UPS supports me fully but while playing GPU intensive games only it does not support at all.

PS:OP has to change his present 800VA to at least 1000VA UPS to fully support his system.

omg, please don't say that. I already went overboard with the UPS. Also, I'm not sure what price I will get for it.. :-/ Can APC help me out if I log a case with them? Shouldn't 480W be more than enough for this system running games? I have a Seasonic M12II SMPS which is rated at 87% efficiency. :-/ :-/
Is there no alternative?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
the restarting is not because of the lack of power available from the ups. 480w is plenty for your system under the load. the culprit is likely the psu. it is taking low loads with stepped sine wave, but can not keep up with higher load when the output is stepped sine wave. that is my assumption though. you may try contacting apc. they have pretty good after sale service, i think.

That PSU is 87% efficient. 87% of 480 W is just ~417 W. And the effieiency will be lower at full loads. Now does the power output seem low?

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
^^ The recommended PSU wattage only shows 356W on extremevision with the system running at 90% load.
The PSU is 87% efficient that means the total power draw should be 410W from the UPS. add 30W for the monitor. Total 440W. Still below 480W. Now what?

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Try increasing the UPS' sensitivity. Check the manual, it has the instructions mentioned

Okay.. I'll check this and see what can be done.
PS - If this doesn't work what about -
1) I undervolt and underclock the card to reduce the power consumption? Remember it does not shut down while playing FIFA so I'm pretty close to the maximum power draw I guess.
2) Call APC and have a technical guy look at it. Maybe my unit is faulty?
3) If I do have to sell it (as a measure of last resort), what price should I get for it?

This a problem with the PSU. According to XBitlabs and various pages on the INternet, the M12II does not work properly with stepped-approximated sine wave at high wattage. S12II however does work properly having a different PFC design.
Gold and Bronze: Seasonic Power Supply Units Roundup. Page 4 - X-bit labs

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
This a problem with the PSU. According to XBitlabs and various pages on the INternet, the M12II does not work properly with stepped-approximated sine wave at high wattage. S12II however does work properly having a different PFC design.
Gold and Bronze: Seasonic Power Supply Units Roundup. Page 4 - X-bit labs

So what should do I do then? Contact Seasonic now or APC? This is concerning.

The article you cited also says the same for S12II 520. Its the 430W that works normally. What a bummer!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Okay.. I'll check this and see what can be done.
PS - If this doesn't work what about -
1) I undervolt and underclock the card to reduce the power consumption? Remember it does not shut down while playing FIFA so I'm pretty close to the maximum power draw I guess.
2) Call APC and have a technical guy look at it. Maybe my unit is faulty?
3) If I do have to sell it (as a measure of last resort), what price should I get for it?

My APC 600VA UPS was bought for 2.1k and now everybody is asking for 1k so you can guess how much you would lose if you try to sell your's. I already recommended APC 1100VA but you went for 800VA.
There is no use if the power draw is more than what the UPS provides as is the case with my UPS as well.
You should try to sell it for 4k at least and buy the CyberPower BU1000VA UPS @ 4k

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
My APC 600VA UPS was bought for 2.1k and now everybody is asking for 1k so you can guess how much you would lose if you try to sell your's. I already recommended APC 1100VA but you went for 800VA.
There is no use if the power draw is more than what the UPS provides as is the case with my UPS as well.
You should try to sell it for 4k at least and buy the CyberPower BU1000VA UPS @ 4k

But what about the sinewave thing? Please look at the following threads -
PSU with Active PFC+UPS with Stepped approximation to sinewave (India) [Solved] - Power Supplies - Components
Seasonic s12ii 620w support on 600 va ups ? - Power Supplies - Components

I'm not sure if changing the UPS will work or if its the PSU at fault. If it is the PSU, I'm in for some big trouble. If its the UPS, I can try undervolting the GPU and reducing the clocks till I can settle at a point where the UPS does not shut down.

Last edited:

It's no longer about wattage but about output waveform.

- - - Updated - - -

But what about the sinewave thing? Please look at the following threads -
PSU with Active PFC+UPS with Stepped approximation to sinewave (India) [Solved] - Power Supplies - Components
Seasonic s12ii 620w support on 600 va ups ? - Power Supplies - Components

I'm not sure if changing the UPS will work or if its the PSU at fault. If it is the PSU, I'm in for some big trouble. If its the UPS, I can try undervolting the GPU and reducing the clocks till I can settle at a point where the UPS does not shut down.

Try asking APC India about a product exchange.

Top Bottom