Suggestions needed on this Intel Core i5 Gaming rig..

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
800VA should suffice, IMO. 1.1KVA is the safer bet

But would you recommend that I change my UPS? If it should suffice, I would not want to waste any more money on this. If not, I may go with what [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION] has suggested. Could even go in for the 1.1KVA APC. (Don't want to get screwed over 100VA in the future :p)

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
But would you recommend that I change my UPS? If it should suffice, I would not want to waste any more money on this. If not, I may go with what [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION] has suggested. Could even go in for the 1.1KVA APC. (Don't want to get screwed over 100VA in the future :p)

tagging one of the experts of UPS [MENTION=138043]kARTechnology[/MENTION]

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
But would you recommend that I change my UPS? If it should suffice, I would not want to waste any more money on this. If not, I may go with what @bssunil has suggested. Could even go in for the 1.1KVA APC. (Don't want to get screwed over 100VA in the future :p)

Let me get some facts straight buddy.

Theoretical total power used by your system while using GTX960 was 350w right but what about the power drawn(used) during peak gaming sessions.
GTX960 is a 120w TDP GPU but it uses 200w while in peak gaming sessions. So that will take your power consumption over the 480w limit provided by your APC 800VA UPS. This is why your 800VA UPS is not supporting your HD7970 GPU at all. Your HD7970 GPU needs at least 1500VA UPS as recommended by the APC Technician while taking in to account the peak power drawn during peak gaming sessions.

Conclusion: My best bet for you is going with either CyberPower 1000VA or APC 1100VA UPS as they will provide 600w or 660w power backup depending on the respective models.

My Case: My APC 600VA UPS does not provide me backup during any gaming session(even though my total output used by my system is less than 360w) but gives me good backup when I am just browsing because the peak power drawn during any gaming session is greater than the usual 360w limit given by my UPS.

During normal browsing sessions my system peak power drawn is less than 360w so it gives me good backup.

Last edited:
OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Let me get some facts straight buddy.

Theoritical total power used by your system while using GTX960 was 350w right but what about the power used during peak gaming sessions.
GTX960 is a 120w TDP GPU but it uses 200w while in peak gaming sessions. So that will take your power consumption over the 480w limit by your APC 800VA UPS. This is why your 800VA UPS is not supporting your HD7970 GPU at all. Your HD7970 GPU needs at least 1500VA UPS as recommened by the APC Technician while takimg in to account the power drawn during peak gaming sessions.

Conclusion: My best bet is going with either 1000VA or 1100VA UPS as they will provide 600w or 660w power backup depending on the respective models.

lol.. I will bend the quoted facts again :p jk..

Theoretical Power used during a PC with a GTX 960 at idle is well under 100W! The 350W I calculated should be the power draw at 100% CPU + GPU usage. The 200W you state is something the entire test rigs for the Tech websites across the internet consume.
Check these out -
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 review • Eurogamer.net
Review: Asus Strix GTX 960 DirectCU II - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 11
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Review - Power and Thermals | bit-tech.net

An R9-280x/7970 consumes about 350W at load and yes, I'm talking about the entire system again.

If a system running GTX 960 consumed more than 480W then god was miraculously kind on those who were able to run an R9-290 with 1KVA UPS'es :)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
lol.. I will bend the facts again :p jk..

Theoretical Power used during a PC with a GTX 960 at idle is well under 100W! The 350W I calculated should be the power draw at 100% CPU + GPU usage. The 200W you state is something the entire test rigs for the Tech websites across the internet consume.
Check these out -
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 review • Eurogamer.net
Review: Asus Strix GTX 960 DirectCU II - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 11
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Review - Power and Thermals | bit-tech.net

An R9-280x/7970 consumes about 350W at load and yes, I'm talking about the entire system again.

If a system running GTX 960 consumed more than 480W then god was miraculously kind on those who were able to run an R9-290 with 1KVA UPS'es :)

Then How come my system which is in my Siggy is not supported by APC 600VA UPS at all while gaming sessions otherwise fully support me during normal browsing sessions.
Tell me how is this possible to my system... Leave your case for a second....

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Then How come my system which is in my Siggy is not supported by APC 600VA UPS at all while gaming sessions otherwise fully support me during normal browsing sessions.
Tell me how is this possible to my system... Leave your case for a second....

Because the total system power draw depending on your setup can range from anywhere between 230-280W -
AnandTech | The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Review: GK106 Fills Out The Kepler Family
MSI GeForce GTX 660 TwinFrozr III review - Graphics card power consumption

Again, with an 80% efficient PSU the system would consume around 280/0.8 = 350W without the other components (monitor, case fans, HDD's, etc). Try playing a lighter game such as DOTA 2 or FIFA 14 and your system won't turn off during game (if vsync is enabled). Like me, you should be fine with an 800VA UPS.

Also, if I recall correctly, another member had posted it on this thread that there's a 90% efficient active PFC conversion involved. In that case, the power draw will be even higher - 280/(0.8*0.9) = 388W. :)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Because the total system power draw depending on your setup can range from anywhere between 230-280W -
AnandTech | The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Review: GK106 Fills Out The Kepler Family
MSI GeForce GTX 660 TwinFrozr III review - Graphics card power consumption

Again, with an 80% efficient PSU the system would consume around 280/0.8 = 350W without the other components (monitor, case fans, HDD's, etc). Try playing a lighter game such as DOTA 2 or FIFA 14 and your system won't turn off during game (if vsync is enabled). Like me, you should be fine with an 800VA UPS.

Also, if I recall correctly, another member had posted it on this thread that there's a 90% efficient active PFC conversion involved. In that case, the power draw will be even higher - 280/(0.8*0.9) = 388W. :)

Maybe you are right but anyways I plan to get that CyberPower 1000VA UPS in the future to future proof my UPS needs. Thanks again.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Maybe you are right but anyways I plan to get that CyberPower 1000VA UPS in the future to future proof my UPS needs. Thanks again.

Sure. You would need to upgrade in order to protect your PC during gaming sessions. I, on the other hand (even going by the same logic mentioned earlier) should still be fine with an 800VA UPS. 250/(0.8*0.9) = 347W + 35W for the monitor (I'm really stretching it here as well, it should be around 25W at most). That's still 375W. Much less than the rated 480W for my UPS.
With a 7970 I agree that the UPS should conk off since the system load is around 335W which is again (335/0.8*0.9) = 465W + 35W monitor = 500W :p There I would certainly need a 1KVA UPS. But with a GTX 960? No way.

Thanks for mentioning the CyberPower UPS though. If all fails, I may want to take a look into it

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
how much backup time do you require?
according to APC, their ups'es are around 60% efficient....as 800va=480W maximum peak load it can handle.
more the power consumed lesser the backup
(and [very] lesser the power consumed lesser the efficiency in some cases)

it provides a mere 1 min backup @ peak load(480W). when the battery is full and healthy....
you should rush to save & shutdown asap when gaming.

see runtime graph @ Buy APC BACK-UPS 800VA 230V INDIA - Technical Specifications and Information | APC
hover mouse on curve to get runtime.

[MENTION=154031]nomad47[/MENTION] thank you.:)

i run 2 pc's and a tv, pioneer HT and a powered subwoofer, streaming hd videos and few fans and lights off my 800va inverter for 45mins...how? my battery has high capacity and inverter is an efficient one. outputs pure-sinewave too.
at the same time when used with tv and pc + 1fan and 1light I get easily 6 hours backup*. only pc + 1 fan and 1 light = 10 hours backup.*

*with normal browsing

Last edited:
OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
how much backup time do you require?
according to APC, their ups'es are around 60% efficient....as 800va=480W maximum peak load it can handle.
more the power consumed lesser the backup
(and [very] lesser the power consumed lesser the efficiency in some cases)

it provides a mere 1 min backup @ peak load(480W). when the battery is full and healthy....
you should rush to save & shutdown asap when gaming.

see runtime graph @ Buy APC BACK-UPS 800VA 230V INDIA - Technical Specifications and Information | APC
hover mouse on curve to get runtime.

[MENTION=154031]nomad47[/MENTION] thank you.:)

i run 2 pc's and a tv, pioneer HT and a powered subwoofer, streaming hd videos and few fans and lights off my 800va inverter for 45mins...how? my battery has high capacity and inverter is an efficient one. outputs pure-sinewave too.
at the same time when used with tv and pc + 1fan and 1light I get easily 6 hours backup*. only pc + 1 fan and 1 light = 10 hours backup.*

*with normal browsing

TBH, I'm okay with even 1 minute of backup. It takes <30 seconds for the generators to kick in once there's a power-cut. However, the UPS just shuts down as soon as there's a powercut while emitting a long beep.
In this case it's clearly not able to take the load which, like I mentioned earlier, should definitely be below 400W.

Thanks for replying!

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
TBH, I'm okay with even 1 minute of backup. It takes <30 seconds for the generators to kick in once there's a power-cut. However, the UPS just shuts down as soon as there's a powercut while emitting a long beep.
In this case it's clearly not able to take the load which, like I mentioned earlier, should definitely be below 400W.

Thanks for replying!
Do one thing. Unplug your entire system from the UPS. Switch in the mains and let it charge for a full day. Use your system after that with the UPS. And switch off mains when not in use

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Do one thing. Unplug your entire system from the UPS. Switch in the mains and let it charge for a full day. Use your system after that with the UPS. And switch off mains when not in use

Did try this earlier but that was for 12 hours only. Will try it again for a full day, if you say so. Going to contact APC about this as well

cs4sid

Broken In
[MENTION=232182]2kool2btrue[/MENTION] how is your experience with Corsair Spec 03, how's the cable management and the build of the case itself? Do you like the case or would you change it if you could?

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
[MENTION=232182]2kool2btrue[/MENTION] how is your experience with Corsair Spec 03, how's the cable management and the build of the case itself? Do you like the case or would you change it if you could?

Build of the case is decent for its price. The cable management is decent barring the only con I find is that there's no cutout for the 12V motherboard power connector.

If I could, I would buy an el-cheapo case. TBH, I don't even look at the case once the PC is switched on.

For what its worth, the case does remind me of Bane (Tom Hardy) from The Dark Knight Rises. :p

Top Bottom