Suggest a subdomain name for blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
Hi guys,
I need your suggestions for the subdomain for my blog. It's gonna be technology related(mostly computing). So suggest keeping that in mind. It shouldn't be blog.****.com or anything like that. Suggest anything which is related.

Thank you :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I can't understand what you want. You want a name for your blog or Subdomain URL name?

Some advice from my 2.5 years of exp....

In case of subdomain:
1. Name your directory ‘blog’ instead of ‘wordpress’ or name of your blog (like 'The Newspaper Blog')
2. Don’t put your blog at the root of your domain. ashwinr.com shouldn't be your blog instead blog.ashwinr.com should be.
3. Avoid 'www' in your URL. Even if you want 'www' make sure all the pages are '*www' and don't mix them both.
4. ashwinr.com/blog is better than blog.ashwinr.com

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Hi Doc!
I was going to PM you about this :D

I've bought a domain *techiesrealm.com

It'll have a index page+wordpress blog+forum

Index is not the wordpress blog.

I want suggestions for wordpress subdirectory. For example- *techiesrealm.com/technology

I dont want to name it *techiesrealm.com/blog because Adsense displays ir-relevant ads & if i name it to *techiesrealm.com/computing it displays relevant ads! Hence I want suggestions for the blog subdirectory. I don't quite like computing/computers/technology as the sub directory name. So please suggest something related to this.

To check what type of content I am going to write in blog please check my *narangz.blogspot.com .

Thanks Ashwin :)

drgrudge

Your Index: ashwinr.com
Your Blog: ashwinr.com/blog
Your Forum: ashwinr.com/forum
Your Tech category (in blog I suppose): ashwinr.com/blog/tech/date/post-title
Note: Google doesn't care if there are many dir in URL like blog/tech/date/year/post-title, etc.. Be adviced that Yahoo does give waitage to this.

I don't think URL is going to make a difference in the Ads that are displayed. It's the content that matters in those pages.

Hope I'm clear on what I wanted to say...

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
No Ashwin. You can try it yourself. I've myself checked that. Ads are totally ir-relevant with /blog directory. It's a known fact & you can find many topics on the web regarding that. With the content(similar to that on the blogspot blog)on my test installation on /blog directory the ads do not even come close to the content. I get french/spanish ads & some bathroom, clothings ads :D

So I don't want to use /blog as the directory of wordpress installation & I am out of ideas. So please suggest some other directory name. I hope you got my point now.

IT Idiot

Banned
use yourname.yoursitename.com or set it up at yourname.yoursitename.com/blog and set a redirect from yourname.yoursitename.com to ..../blog

drgrudge

How much content do you have? How old is your domain? How frequent do the spiders visit? The Ad context depends on that too. Don't expect Ads to be perfect for each and every page.

ashwinr.com/blog is the best. It's good for SEO. I'm not telling this. Matt Cutts confirmed this. Don't think of any other directory name than 'blog'.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
@ IT- I want some name related to the content.

How much content do you have? How old is your domain? How frequent do the spiders visit? The Ad context depends on that too. Don't expect Ads to be perfect for each and every page.

ashwinr.com/blog is the best. It's good for SEO. I'm not telling this. Matt Cutts confirmed this. Don't think of any other directory name than 'blog'.

OK. I understand what you mean & got your point.

1. The domain is registered in April 08.
2. So I don't expect spiders on my site this soon.
3. I don't have hits now as its just registered.
4. I understand ads can't be perfect on every page or in every post.
5. I've no idea about Matt Cutts. :oops:

Here's another thing. On the main page of wordpress the ads are totally irerelevant in posts. But on individual posts' pages the ads appear according to the content in posts. I couldn't really understand this.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Ok, don't think I'm rude or something. Don't try to learn overnight or posting in here. We learn by doing. Get on with the blog. Content is more important than SEO.

Try to take grip of basic things that you need to know. Read some 2-3 articles in 'SEO for Wordpress' like that and start blogging.

Please forget the Ad relevancy. It won't and can't be also. How does AdSense know what Ads to serve if it doesn't know what's this page about.

Good Luck. :)

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
No. I am thankful to you :) I have got the Matt Cutts site & will study that also.

Now just like you said I am going with /blog directory.

Thank you a lot :)

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
Narangz, search engine spiders are very much complex and have grown up a lot :D having a /blog or /technology is irrelevant mostly ;) you might have seen a difference when you had a blank page, first time it might display relevant ad then due to lack of content over time it will goto the public service ads. this first time also just happens for the adsense crawler, google main crawler wont even touch the site without content of traffic :D but nothing like that really affects what ads you get when you have content.

search engines can easily recognise even the version of wordpress you are using from the headers. technorati engine even lowers your blog position if you have a old version of wordpress that has security vulnerabilities. even if your blog is named kjsahdklahsd.com but if you have the correct content, adsense always is clearly relevant to the content.

the main reason for the numero uno position of adsense is the relevancy and targetting. which is not so great in YPN (yahoo's adsense equivalent). if your whole site is different (like a company website/portal) and you want to add a blog to it then that /blog theory holds good. but if your whole site is the blog itself, you can perfectly go for having the blog in your root domain itself. no difference it makes. US military forces are censored to all websites which has 'blog' in their url as US military thinks most blogs dont give credible info like news sites. so the whole of blogspot.com took a bit of hit in traffic but blogs on wordpress.com did not :D just a small info :p

and you can check whether and when was your site crawled (or if there is any crawl errors) by adding it to google webmaster central *www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ even specify the www or no www preference in your account.

I also regularly read problogger.net, dailyblogtips.com, smashingmagazine.com they have gr8 tips :D

_

Last edited:
OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
1. search engines can easily recognise even the version of wordpress you are using from the headers. technorati engine even lowers your blog position if you have a old version of wordpress that has security vulnerabilities. even if your blog is named kjsahdklahsd.com but if you have the correct content, adsense always is clearly relevant to the content.

2. and you can check whether and when was your site crawled (or if there is any crawl errors) by adding it to google webmaster central *www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ even specify the www or no www preference in your account.

1. Well what can I say. You need to try that yourself. I posted my stuff in a test WP installation & if I change the URL to /computing the ads completely change. If you don't believe me, try it.

2. I know those things. Thank you :)

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
1. thats why it says in Adsense Policies to not display ads in under construction pages. as I said b4 it might be once or twice and then it goes to the PSA's if there is no content when the Adsense crawler comes.

yes it affects thats also why we have permalinks instead of ?p=3 or something like that. it will better the case of relevancy but if you have clean categorised content then it is not necessary to have a /technology to get relevant ads

2. oops k :D

_

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
use yourname.yoursitename.com or set it up at yourname.yoursitename.com/blog and set a redirect from yourname.yoursitename.com to ..../blog
redirect is never a search engine friendly

Content is more important than SEO.
Only if you have targeted traffic. What you will do of content when you have no traffic. So, traffic is must for any site.

Last edited:

blackpearl

The Devil
1. It doesn't matter whether you have /blog or /technology directory, adsense will always show relevent ads. The reason it is showing different ads now is because you either have little or no contents on your page. Hence, adsense is using the directory name to show relevent ads. Once you start having contnts on your page, the directory name will become irrelevant.

2. It's against adsense's terms to display ads on underconstruction pages. Google is very strict about their terms and policies. If you are caught you might get banned and getting back into the program will be very difficult. So put some content on your site and then start displaying ads.

3. Both content and SEO is important for your blog. Read some articles on the subject. Visit DigitalPoint forum and read the threads. You will learn a lot more than reading articles believe me, because those are first hand experinences from real webmasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom