Suggest a proccy & mobo

lucky5

Right off the assembly line
Hi frens i need help to buy a new processor and motherboard. I have following componets and i dont want to change anything except proccy & mobo.
AOC 22 inch Full HD Lcd
Corsair 1*2 gb ddr2 667mhz ram
CoolerMaster 600 watts psu
xfx 8800gt alpha dog edition gfx.
So now i want a good proccy and mobo combo which does justice to these components. My budget is 9000. Pls help me guys i want to buy as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H @ 3.9k (780G chipset + AM3 CPU ready)
AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9Ghz @ 5k

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanx for the reply. Is that processor better than the phenom ll 550?
For gaming, Phenom II X2 555 BE is the way to go because of it's 6MB L3 cache. But for multi-threaded and rendering tasks, Athlon II X4 635 is better. The choice is yours.

OP
L

lucky5

Ok then i think i will go with phenom 555 BE. Is there any other good alternative for mobo?? I think i can stretch my budget to 500 bucks more. So which is the best mobo for 4500?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Ok then i think i will go with phenom 555 BE. Is there any other good alternative for mobo?? I think i can stretch my budget to 500 bucks more. So which is the best mobo for 4500?

get Athlon II X4 630 + Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H. expect total cost to be around 9k. you can instead get the Phenom II X2 555 BE & try unlock the extra 2 cores but its a luck thing. so don't expect 100% success.

OP
L

lucky5

What about the memory? Does the combo support ddr2 @ 667mhz?? I dont want to change the ram. I bought it very recently.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ the board suggested by ICO as well as me are AM2+ board. will support DDR2 ram. processor is AM3. so will work in AM2+ board & support both DDR2 as well as DDR3 (in case you change motherboard in future, can use DDR3 supporting board).

ssb1551

Technomancer
hi guys dunno if this thread is still active but I got a query on this.
3 other MoBos which are Biostar A780L3,Biostar MCP6P3,MSI GF615M-P33 also support AM3 n 800Mhz memory.So can 1 go for AMD Athlon II X4 635/630 with one of the afore-mentioned MoBos with an existing DDR2 800Mhz memory?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Try to avoid AMD 780 G chipset based boards as they don't support some advance properties like Advance Clock Calibration (ACC), smart overclocking etc. They were designed for the old AMD AM2+ processors and support new Athlon II/Phenom II processors by BIOS update. So don't expect to get the max performance.

Get 790 or 785G based chipset boards. My suggestion will be
BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M AMD 785G SB710 @ 3.54k (here is the link)

The basic features are
AMD 785G Chipset with SB710
Supports All Phenom II and Athlon II CPUs (125W)
ATI HD 4200 128 MB DDR3 Side port memory with max 512 MB shared
4 Ram slots with max 16 GB support
1 DVI and one VGA output
1 PCI Express X16
2 PCI
6 SATA II
10 USB 2.0
Realtech Gigabit LAN
Realtech 5.1 Channel HD audio

For processor, go for AMD Athlon II 635 as other suggested.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Try to avoid AMD 780 G chipset based boards as they don't support some advance properties like Advance Clock Calibration (ACC), smart overclocking etc. They were designed for the old AMD AM2+ processors and support new Athlon II/Phenom II processors by BIOS update. So don't expect to get the max performance.

Get 790 or 785G based chipset boards. My suggestion will be
BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M AMD 785G SB710 @ 3.54k (here is the link)

The basic features are
AMD 785G Chipset with SB710
Supports All Phenom II and Athlon II CPUs (125W)
ATI HD 4200 128 MB DDR3 Side port memory with max 512 MB shared
4 Ram slots with max 16 GB support
1 DVI and one VGA output
1 PCI Express X16
2 PCI
6 SATA II
10 USB 2.0
Realtech Gigabit LAN
Realtech 5.1 Channel HD audio

For processor, go for AMD Athlon II 635 as other suggested.
nice suggestion!!But will BIOSTAR TA785GE support DDR3 1333 memory if one wishes to upgrade the memory in future?

Cilus

laborare est orare
No, it does not support DDR3 ram, it is a DDR2 based mobo. You can add as many DDR2 modules until it reaches 16 GB but if you want DDR3 ram to be added, then you need to change the motherboard. And if you are going to get a DDR3 mobo for now, then you have to sell your current ram, which is not a very good idea for now, as both AMD and Intel are releasing their new gen processors at the end of this year.

OP
L

lucky5

That bioscctar mobo looks good for the price. I have already ordered the gigabyte mobo for 4k. I think i should have waited lil longer before ordering.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
hey wats the difference between Nvidia n AMD chipset?I mean wat all properties make AMD chipset superior to nVIDIA chipset?

AMD chipset for AMD processor:

1. Graphics. AMD IGP (the current 8 series or 7 series far better than Nvidia 6-7 series IGP).
2. HT link. AMD Hyper Transport link runs at 1.0 maybe for Nvidia but runs at 3.0 for AMD chipset (take it as higher HT link, better performance).
3. Cool&Quite. the board you linked have Cool&Quite on but the earlier Nvidia chipset doesn't have it. so do ACC & a few more important features. also theres a big question mark about the future processor support on Nvidia chipset boards.

Top Bottom