Suggest a good database and a scripting language

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi guys,
I have been told to learn a database and a scripting language in my office to enhance my skill set , so that I can handle a variety of projects . I already know Core Java and currently learning a bit of servlets and MIDlets. I have been also told to learn XML for another project. I want your suggestions as to which database and scripting language to go for ??? What I am thinking is to go for MySQL and Python but I don't really know what will be the best option. Can u guys please suggest(with reasons) a database to be used with java and a scripting language( which can be used any where not just for client side scripting alone or just sever side scripting alone.) Also please suggest some good quality study material/books/ebooks etc. for these (database , scripting language and XML). And what u guys think about XML , how much time will it take to get hold of it and is there really any use of learning XML today:rolleyes:(I know basics of HTML) . Please guys , its urgent and really important.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Phenom, Learn PHP & MySQL. It's the most widely used database & scripting
language combo!! XML is standard. Almost every application today from Office Word to
IDEs use XML.

@Phenom, Learn PHP & MySQL. It's the most widely used database & scripting
language combo!! XML is standard. Almost every application today from Office Word to
IDEs use XML.
He can even try Python and MySQL if he wishes. There is nothing lacking in python compared to PHP for average scripting needs. It can also be used to make programs.

and I fully agree on the point that XML is standard. Its one of those things which finds use everywhere, regardless of platform. Its more widely usable than even Java. Wether you are an Apple developer or a Microsoft developer, a Linux developer or a BSD developer, a user of OpenOffice.org or a user of MSOffice, an internet freak or a multimedia geek, you will always find use for XML.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
+1 for PHP and MySQL.
And if u want more (of course u r in Enterprise) then learn Oracle (too) !! :|

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
ok , then MySQL and XML is decided. Still confused about Python and PHP , please confusion door karne mein help karo. I repeat : please suggest(with reasons) a scripting language( which can be used any where , with most interfaces for both online and offline requirements, not just for client side scripting or just sever side scripting .) Also please suggest some good quality study material/books/ebooks etc. for these (database , scripting language and XML).

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
client side scripting: JavaScript, AJAX
Server side: PHP(my choice)
Database: MySQL

I learnt all my tuff from free online tutorials.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Well, Python is still not widely used as a Web Scripting Language.. It's like "A Programming Language that can be used for Web Scripting".. You get the Idea..

PHP is meant to be just a Web Scripting Language from the start (though these days there are lots of other stuff you can do with it.. like PHP-GTK for instance).

My Personal Suggestion will be PHP because it's easier to deploy and to code.. (AND it's pretty scalable).

For the Database, You might want to look at PostgreSQL too.. I really don't trust Sun Microsystems with MySQL these days :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom