sudo apt-get not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests,sudo apt-get is not working for me!!I updated my ubuntu today.Dunno if its causing probs
every time a type sudo apt-get install xxxx in teh terminal it gives the error.
Some things like nvidia-glx are working and others like emerald and gtweakgui are giving the error - E: Couldn't find package emerald

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Can you tell us what error does it give? You post is like saying, hey look there's a pebble in the sea. Can you find it for me??! :D Plz give more details.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Check if all repositories are enabled under System > Admin. > Software Sources and then run an update.

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Also try:
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade --fix-missing

CadCrazy

in search of myself
emerald n gtweakui is not available on ubuntu repo. u hv 2 ad 3rd party repo to apt-get the pkgs

im sorry guyz,after a little more updates it started working fine.
I enabled all repos and updated again and it worked.
Im sorry

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Im sorry
post a review of the whole experience, i mean the gutsy experience with screeshots:)

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
emerald n gtweakui is not available on ubuntu repo. u hv 2 ad 3rd party repo to apt-get the pkgs
Both are available in repos..

Im sorry

Need not to be.. But do play around before asking.. That will help you learn better .. and if you still didn't get any solution then ask :)

hey guyz one more prob.
Yesterday i installed ubuntu and edited xserver-xorg with nano editor where i changed the VGA driver to vesa and then installed teh nvidia driver it worked fine but today i reinstalled gusty due to some mees up that i did and again repeated the procedure but after isntalling the nvidia driver gusty began to start in low gfaphics mode.Please guyz reply soon

EDIT:got it working.
For all those guys who own a 8800 GTS or GT 512 G92 card and are not able to configure ubuntu graphics here is a tut-
1.get the alternate cd of ubutnu.
2.Install it in the text mode.
3.on the first boot,open recovery mode,type 'sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf'.Then look for 'device' and then 'driver'.change teh driver from nv oe something else to 'vesa'.
press F2,save and restart in normal mode.now u have working vesa drivers.
3.Get latest Nvidia drivers(169.12) for ur card from nvidia site.Download it to desktop(important)
4.press ctrl+alt+F1,ull enter the text mode,login with ur username and password.
5.then type 'sudo telinit 1'to terminate xserver and other processes.
6.type 'cd /home/username/Desktop (username is ur username.mine is sunny)
7.then type 'chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run' to make the file executable.
8.type 'sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run' to install the drivers.type 'sudo reboot' after the installation is finished.
9.Resart and now u the latest drivers installed:D:D
I got totally screwed up in discovering this method.Thanks a lot to Prakash(praka123) and Anirudh(infra red dude)

@T159-I am not good at writing reviews.Ill try though:D:D.Right now i can only say that ubuntu is the best OS i have used till date:D

BTW I(my dad) is getting a macbook pro.We had planned to get it in Jan but lack of time(my dad remains busy most of the time)wee couldnt :(

Last edited:
*img398.imageshack.us/img398/3843/screenshothv0.png
My customized ubuntu
Installed it 2day only thts y it isnt looking that good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom