Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Re: Steam related discussions

I think portal 2 uses some shared files with other source games. try copy pasting the portal 2 folder and steamapps/your username/ folder into respective locations in steam installation in win xp. or just create backup of portal 2 in win 7 and extract the backup in xp.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Well, since I have just created Symlink, so Steam folder has exact same replica in XP, as it is in Windows 7. And I can't really do "Backup and restore" since, Portal 2 is 11.3 Gigs, and there is not enough space on the partition where XP is installed.

I guess, I will have to just play it on Win 7, after lowering some eye candy maybe. Thanks though. :p

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
If you want to only play portal 2 in win xp, no need to create replica of your entire steam folder. Install steam in win xp. Then copy the portal 2 folder from win7 Program files\steam\steamapps directory to your Windows XP Program Files\Steam\Steamapp folder . Then when you run the game from xp, first it will verify all the files. And if any extra files needed for xp, it will download.

For your case i guess it is because of win xp and win 7 uses different location for my documents, app data etc. So when u are trying to run the win 7 instln from xp, it will look for win 7 folder structure.

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer

Logitech is giving away free copies of Defense Grid: The Awakening on facebook. *www.facebook.com/logitechgaming?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God

@gt0gagan.. that's a common bug.

@who got defence grid . download it immediately. it's awesome! one of my most played games...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Be sure to get BTTF game on Humble Bundle Weekly sale! Just 5 days left!
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/gamerz/174431-get-bttf-humble-bundle-weekly-d-also-walking-dead.html

If you want to only play portal 2 in win xp, no need to create replica of your entire steam folder. Install steam in win xp. Then copy the portal 2 folder from win7 Program files\steam\steamapps directory to your Windows XP Program Files\Steam\Steamapp folder . Then when you run the game from xp, first it will verify all the files. And if any extra files needed for xp, it will download.

For your case i guess it is because of win xp and win 7 uses different location for my documents, app data etc. So when u are trying to run the win 7 instln from xp, it will look for win 7 folder structure.

I tried copying just the Portal 2 folder from Win 7 to XP. It did detect the folder, but still started to d/w entire 6 gigs from scratch. I though it was #Epic fail. Before I restarted PC. After which, it picked up the folder again, and after downloading some files, game was ready to play!
So thanks for giving that idea.

(I actually, make a symlink of just the portal 2 folder and not the entire steam this time!)

Lesson Learnt: Copying entire Steam directory from Win 7 to XP doesn't work. :p But copying just the games does. FTW!

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?

Does The Orange Box include Half Life 1 and Portal 2? I am thinking to buy it from FK. or shall I wait for steam summer sale??

Vignesh B

Youngling

^^ Even I get consistent speeds of around 450 KB/s. But certain games download staggeringly at certain times. Perhaps a(n) server overload issue.

Top Bottom