Standby question

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepakvrao

Broken In
Hi Guys,

If I have my lap top set to switch off HDD at 15min, Standby at 20m and hibernate at 30m, when in plugged in mode then will it still do all of these things if I am not there so there is no keyboard/mouse activity but there is an active download going on?

IOWs do I need to change these settings if I plan long downloads in my absence?

Thanks for any help.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
These operations will be performed at the specified interval even if a download is taking place. So to keep it running, you need to move the mouse or press any key every 20minutes. Else change the settings or set it to just switch off the display.

mrintech

Technomancer
Better change the setting as Thinkfree says when you are downloading and as soon as downloading is over switch to whatever setting you mentioned in the first post

cheers!! ;)

Raccoon

Journeyman
I dont think it will go in standby if you are downloading stuff.

It dosent on my comp. I'v set the monitor to go off in 5 mins, Hard disk in 15 mins and Standby in 20 mins. No Hibernate... dont see the use/need of it.

It never turns my HDD off or goes in standby whenever Im downloading thru browser/torrent/etc. In fact, I think it goes in standby only when my ADSL modem is off.

I dont see the use of Hibernate in "normal" use. If comp is not needed for say an hour or 2, it goes into standby. If its not needed for more than that, I just switch it off. I belive Hibernate mode will require the comp including HDD to again wake up from standby so that an image can be created. And thats not so good for the comp...

ThinkFree

Technomancer
I dont think it will go in standby if you are downloading stuff.

It dosent on my comp. I'v set the monitor to go off in 5 mins, Hard disk in 15 mins and Standby in 20 mins. No Hibernate... dont see the use/need of it.

It never turns my HDD off or goes in standby whenever Im downloading thru browser/torrent/etc. In fact, I think it goes in standby only when my ADSL modem is off.

I dont see the use of Hibernate in "normal" use. If comp is not needed for say an hour or 2, it goes into standby. If its not needed for more than that, I just switch it off. I belive Hibernate mode will require the comp including HDD to again wake up from standby so that an image can be created. And thats not so good for the comp...

File is being downloaded means some thing is being done on the hard disk which means hard disk is not lying idle. It will be switched off only if no activity takes place, ie download is over. Computer will go to standby mode after 20 mins even when download is taking place.

Raccoon

Journeyman
^^^Didnt understand that...

Are you implying that a comp can go into standby while HDD is on? I dont think so. AFAIK, standby mode includes HDD going off!

And standby mode and a download can DEFINITELY not coexist!! In othe words you wont see your comp downloading something, and at the same time be in Standby mode!

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Source
Definition of: standby mode

A sleep mode in a portable computer that provides an almost immediate resumption of operation when turned back on. In standby mode, the hard disk and display are turned off, and the CPU is throttled down to its lowest-power state. However, memory is kept active, which requires battery power, but at a very slow rate. The system will typically switch to hibernation mode when it senses insufficient battery capacity to continue in standby mode
Atleast on my computer, priority is given to standby mode. If it's scheduled to be put on standby after 20min of activity, and hard disk is still working, the computer will be put on standby after 20 idle minutes which means hard disk will also be switched off. This means any active download will also be stopped.

Raccoon

Journeyman
Thats really strange... my comp has NEVER gone into standby if anything is being downloaded thru any means.

OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In
These operations will be performed at the specified interval even if a download is taking place. So to keep it running, you need to move the mouse or press any key every 20minutes. Else change the settings or set it to just switch off the display.

This statement of yours contradicts this:
File is being downloaded means some thing is being done on the hard disk which means hard disk is not lying idle. It will be switched off only if no activity takes place, ie download is over. Computer will go to standby mode after 20 mins even when download is taking place. __________________
SO What do you think is right? I'm confused here.

Last edited:

ThinkFree

Technomancer
This statement of yours contradicts this:
SO What do you think is right? I'm confused here.

hard disk will also be switched off.

This is in continuation with the second statement. So if computer is scheduled to go to sleep mode, it will (and it's clear that hard disk will also go to sleep) , irrespective of any hard disk activity taking place or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom