Sound card for my PC

pulsar_swift

Youngling
Guys,

I am looking for a good sound card for my PC within 5K.

I have a creative 2.1 channel speakers with woofer.

I am really disappointed with the sound quality of my onboard VIA HD1708S integrated audio.

Would a sound card improve my sound quality ? How about the USB sound stations from ASUS XONAR U1 usb station and Creative sound blaster X-fi GO ?

Should i also upgrade to creative 5.1 speakers ? Is it mandatory to upgrade my speakers ?

Check my signature for my current config and PSU

ajai5777

Youngling
5k sound card for Creative 2.1 ? :shock: Its a waste of money.
People are struggling to buy a 5k Graphics card here:razz:
Even I am using Creative SB 5.1 vx bought for 1.1k with Creative T6100 5.1
This combo rocks in gaming,5.1 Movies,Music etc..
That type of sound cards are only good for high end speaker systems.

2.1 and 5.1 depend upon your needs.

5.1 is good if you want to game with surround sound EAX and to watch movies in 5.1.Also your room should be suitable for a 5.1 setup.

If you need only basic stereo in games and in movies with a decent bass, then 2.1 is good.2.1 is also good for music playback.

OP
pulsar_swift

pulsar_swift

Youngling
arey problem is not with speakers, the output of my onboard sound card is very bad. I want some thing better,something clear. I want clear sound thats the expected result.

Ok Creative SB 5.1 vx @ 1.1K and Creative Inspire 6160 - Rs 3900.

Or is it enough if i get Creative SB 5.1 vx with my existing creative 2.1 ?

Last edited:

ajai5777

Youngling
Actually for 2.1 speakers there is no need of dedicated sound card.I want to know the model of your speakers because some will give broken sound when put in high volume.If thats the case, sound card wont help.Low end SBS series tend to give bad sound.

OP
pulsar_swift

pulsar_swift

Youngling
creative inspire some model, i purchased them in 2005. they worked flawlessly on XP with my realtek hd audio card. When i moved to windows 7 and new PC, all problems started :(

Mr.Digital

Broken In
Make sure that there is not too much dust on the speaker/woofer.

The creative SBS2.1 series has a remote (wired) volume control & speaker on/off switch. I guess this is always the main culprit for such types of problems after couple of years.

It happened with me & my friend as well.

Open the volume control & clean all the dust that has accumulated.

Try testing ur speakers on RADIO/TV/MP3 player first for clarity.Then doubt ur motherboard dear.

Hope this should solve ur doubt.

OP
pulsar_swift

pulsar_swift

Youngling
the speakers are working fine, when connected to my laptop.but when i connect the speakers to my desktop, bass is out of control, its sounds either too low and too high. Sounds are not clear. there is no clarity

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
cleapup the sound drivers in Win7 & delete the left over files with drive sweper. than download a fresh copy of the driver (maybe not latest. 2nd latest or something). install & try.

OP
pulsar_swift

pulsar_swift

Youngling
oh, what did you then ajai ? how did you solve ur problem ?
buddy i am ok to spend 1.5 K on ur creative sound blaster vx 5.1. Can it give clear sound to a 2.1 channel speaker system ?, assuming that there is no problem with my speakers ?

ajai5777

Youngling
A dedicated sound card is always better than an onboard audio.I purchased the combo at the first time itself.But I used onboard audio due to the unavailability of PCI slot.Then I could see the difference.You just wipe out the drivers and install latest drivers.Use your audio enhancement settings properly.

OP
pulsar_swift

pulsar_swift

Youngling
ok will creative SB VX 5.1 work on my board ? i mean to ask, my board has 2 PCIE slots and one on them is already in use by HD5670. Can i order creative SB VX 5.1 online ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
ok will creative SB VX 5.1 work on my board ? i mean to ask, my board has 2 PCIE slots and one on them is already in use by HD5670. Can i order creative SB VX 5.1 online ?

is there any X1 slot left (uncovered by the HD5670)? i think you can install it in the 2nd PCIe X 16 slot instead.

OP
pulsar_swift

pulsar_swift

Youngling
I think a card will fit in the other slot without any space problem. any online shop selling creative SB VX 5.1 ?

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

I think a card will fit in the other slot without any space problem. any online shop selling creative SB VX 5.1 ?

Top Bottom