Sony Xperia 2014 discussion Thread

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Linpack also seems to be a joke of a benchmark if those graphs are to be believed.

Xperia SP has a dual-core Krait. Xperia Z has a quad-core Krait. SP actually having 200 Mhz higher clock speed.

Single threaded performance should be nearly same.

Multi-threaded? Obviously not.

Basically what these manufacturers do is, make modifications in Kernels of specific flagship phone models to boost performance, rather 'artificially inflate scores' in such stupid benchmarks. They'd obviously want their flagship to sell more.

i agree 100 % that is why benchmarks should never be taken at absolute values and always should be taken relatively with margin of error..

linpack is not perfect but it is the most accurate and reliable benchmarks when it comes to CPU..
ofcourse Xperia Z is employing some tricks here in single threaded..

i don't know if ram helps in bechmark or not but xperia Z has a 533mhz ram whereas sp has 500mhz don't know how much difference that should make..

there are other differences as well between SP and Xperia Z

like L2 cache in xperia SP is 1mb whereas Xperia Z has 2mb..

again i am not sure regarding cache and ram effect on benchmark

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
i agree 100 % that is why benchmarks should never be taken at absolute values and always should be taken relatively with margin of error..

linpack is not perfect but it is the most accurate and reliable benchmarks when it comes to CPU..
ofcourse Xperia Z is employing some tricks here in single threaded..

i don't know if ram helps in bechmark or not but xperia Z has a 533mhz ram whereas sp has 500mhz don't know how much difference that should make..

there are other differences as well between SP and Xperia Z

like L2 cache in xperia SP is 1mb whereas Xperia Z has 2mb..

again i am not sure regarding cache and ram effect on benchmark
Looking at those scores, it's not reliable. Not at all.

As far as cache is concerned, Krait based SoCs have L2 cache which is shared among all cores.

For SP, 1 MB is shared among 2 cores. For Z, 2 MB is shared among 4 cores. Roughly it is still 512 kB per core in a multi-threaded high load in every core scenario. So, in multi-threaded I'd expect Xperia Z to be 2x of SP, but it is 4x looking at those scores. Not at all reliable.

Z isn't that much faster. It's just programmed to artificially inflate scores or SP's stock kernel is programmed to lower the scores.

If we need true benchmarks, then we need something like gcc compile times, 7-zip compression and the likes.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
*i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/109517-thumb/Sony-Xperia-G-D-Series-features-2.jpg

the below one is Xperia G ... Looks Supeer SEXXXXXXYYY

Specs

4.8 inch screen
8 MP camera ( i hope they fix this time )
720x1280 Resolution
1.4 ghz quad Core cortex A7 snapdragon 400 8226
1 GB ram
8 GB internal memory with expandable memory
Android 4.4

Last edited:

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
lol :p

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact launched in India, available for Rs 36898 : Technology, News - India Today

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
realistically this might be priced at 36k ..
don't forget this is still a flagship device..

lol :p

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact launched in India, available for Rs 36898 : Technology, News - India Today

Bingo... right guess ;)

- - - Updated - - -

What is the expected price of xperia G when it launches in India?

let us wait for specs first. most probably around 17-18k

- - - Updated - - -

Sony has gone mad

Sony Xperia T2 Ultra now available online in India for Rs. 33749

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Moto G competitor Xperia M2 (rumoured as Xperia G) launched @ $300. source. Probably will launch in India around Rs 20K.
Wonder how it's going to compete with the Moto G at that price point.

jhingalala

Broken In
Moto G competitor Xperia M2 (rumoured as Xperia G) launched @ $300. source. Probably will launch in India around Rs 20K.
Its hard to come out with same price for sony.google has done a lumia 520 trick with moto g.if m2 is above 20k around april then it may lose to grand 2

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
look at the Z2 (I call it Zattu) size.. stupid sony still not learned.

Sony cannot do anything ,,.. the Size is due to waterproofing .. if they need to get the top and bottom bezzels down they will have to get rid of the waterproof feature.. which is Sony's USP that sets it apart from other OEM .. they cannot produce a G2 like phone.. also they have reduced side bezzels now .. so this phone is narrower and is much easy to hold and is thinner.. But large at top and bottom.. also the 20 MP camera sensor might also be one of the reasons.. instead of having a bulge like nokia they went for a flat design with large area..

- - - Updated - - -

they'll price is at 18k something if they don't go mad like they did with T2 ultra..
This improves on Moto G shortcomings

Sexy Design
Better Camera
Memory Expandability..
Better Brand Value ( Majority less tech savvy people don't trust Motorola Brand that much than Sony and LG in India )

A slightly larger screen but ppi and screen quality is inferior to moto G and is a letdown

so those who dislike Moto G design ( i do ) /camera/limited storage both LG G2 mini and xperia M2 will be better options at a slightly higher price..

though none of them will be a major seller like moto G .. some decent sales yes

- - - Updated - - -

hahaha rohan look at the size of galaxy S5

S5 - 142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm - 5.1 inch screen

Z2 - 146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2 mm - 5.2 inch screen

both are approx same diff due to .1inch screen ..

looks like xperia Z2 isn't the only one now with big top and bottom bezzels.. now this year nobody will complain about sony as samsung has released it also

Last edited:

Dr. House

No Regrets
Xperia Z1 was available for 33k on ebay.in with Sony India warranty last week I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

So I guess price would be around 40k in April on ebay.in

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent

Has Sony lost it's mind or what ? very very bad pricing.

Xperia T2 ulta - 520$

Xperia M2 - 400$

Don't become like HTC .. i hope they are not actual prices

Top Bottom