Sony Ericsson Posts Fourth Consecutive Quarterly Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
.Anyways. The Zn5 looks crap and has pathetic java implementation. I wouldnt waste my money on that. I would rather have some awesome capuchin(java+flash) apps running on my phones than nothing at all.

:grin:
Ya zn5 looks are a bit downside but that does not make it a crap phone as suggested .
For me a good phone is which has a good OS and hardware which many of SE mid range phones lack and hence their loss in market . Xperia certainly has a good piece of hardware but how many people think it is worth more then 30k . ( NO OFFENCE )
I am really inclined towards good OS hence got my self an ipod touch and SE k810 . I can honestly say that k810 cannot fulfill my multimedia needs but on the other hand it is a good phone with good camera .

Last edited:

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Android, which SE and Sony will be developing jointly will hopefully bring back SE to better shades.

Oh as for the Aura. Expect the BRAVIA phone with WXGA OLED screen to be announced anytime soon and which holds a free hinged display(can be held at any position).

YA and when these phones will be released they will have a price tag of a motorbike .

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
. Iphone was good at v1 but become slower as the firmware evolved and v3 is actually quite slow with iphone2g.
I have found good overall increase in performance with the latest 3.0 version firmware release . You cannot conclude with what some other people on other forum say . Most people are using pirated version of 3.0 firmware and also jailbreaking their devices , if not done correctly then they are sure to face probs .

raj_in

In the zone
i am happy,,,,,,
not really a SE fan bcoz of there battery end of story.............
If i was dor best colours on a phone wud be the first to say SE rocks bcoz i think they some so the bst looking phone but lack the power in the long run,,,,,,,

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
How many phones in the market that sported a full qwerty and WM costed less than 30k?? And btw, your prayers have been answered. its 29k now.

And yea dude. I would expect people to pay a premium for devices that have a 1 ghz proccy,512 mb ram and android running on it. Ah well, if you cant afford it, just sit and stare, but talk BS.

And anyways, SE has better midends in the market right now than Nokia/samsung. The loss is due t the lack of low ends and no hold in the cdma market which is booming due to recession.

Tamoghno

Padawan
I have found good overall increase in performance with the latest 3.0 version firmware release . You cannot conclude with what some other people on other forum say . Most people are using pirated version of 3.0 firmware and also jailbreaking their devices , if not done correctly then they are sure to face probs .

Yeah its true that i have given my conclusion from forums and video reviews . But dont forget iPhone 2g uses a lower mhz procy compared to your ipod touch , so maybe its why you have better experience than iphone users.

Btw , i dont believe (and never seen any prove) that pirated software runs slower than legit version. its just a crap bullshit that micro$oft wants you to believe. (jailbraking may have bad effect though)

Tamoghno

Padawan
How many phones in the market that sported a full qwerty and WM costed less than 30k?? And btw, your prayers have been answered. its 29k now.

agreed . winmo is always way too costly for its featurset/capability .

And yea dude. I would expect people to pay a premium for devices that have a 1 ghz proccy,512 mb ram and android running on it. Ah well, if you cant afford it, just sit and stare, but talk BS.

thats the point . if people cant afford it than it wont sell enough to make money . xperia was a good example. Also phone with this type of hardware is already in market (toshiba g101) with more from htc and sammy coming very soon . So dont expect it to be a runaway success. Bottomline: while this type of phone may increase se's image , dont expect it to make much money

And anyways, SE has better midends in the market right now than Nokia/samsung. The loss is due t the lack of low ends and no hold in the cdma market which is booming due to recession.

True for india , but not for worldwide market. About cdma market , 100% true , but look at RIMs phones average price , i wonder do they even make money with handset !

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Zn5 looks pathetic and thats a fact. I dont see why you keep whining over that matter.
I agree with you on this. ZN5 is not a beauty contest winner. But that phone has some real good things under the hood.

Iphone was good at v1 but become slower as the firmware evolved and v3 is actually quite slow with iphone2g. Even the palm pre with mighty omap3430 is slow. Add to that touchscreens delicate nature and you'll realise that touchscreen isn't for everyone.
I disagree with all of your points here. I've lived with everything you've mentioned here and my experience has been otherwise. Both iPhone/iTouch (all generations) haf been snappy with all the firmwares I've used with. Palm Pre is very much responsive and the touchscreen implementation on all of these 3 devices is excellent.

But even then i find the latest android phones are hard to resist. The HTC's hero have an amazing and very well thought interface (and unlike winmo counterpart android is pretty good even without skinning). The amount of innovation touchscreen is getting these days , i fear touchscreen might be the next 'granted' features(like camera now) of cellphones.
I haf access to some internal builds for HTC Hero and I'm amazed at how HTC's tweaked the overall OS. Its so much better than Samsung and other builds. HTC I believe tweaks most of the hardware drivers.

Ya zn5 looks are a bit downside but that does not make it a crap phone as suggested.
I agree.

For me a good phone is which has a good OS and hardware...
I agree, again.

... which many of SE mid range phones lack and hence their loss in market.
I disagree on the hardware part. SE hardware is in the best of the league in any price bracket. Its just that they stuck to their proprietary OS and memory stick even for mid-high end phones. Nokia was smart enuf to gobble up Symbian at the rite time.

Most people are using pirated version of 3.0 firmware and also jailbreaking their devices , if not done correctly then they are sure to face probs .
There is NO pirated 3.0. How can you possible pirate something thats free?!?! (to iPhone users) and in case of iTouch users, what is the difference b/w pirated 3.0 and legal 3.0? Its not an editable image that you can inject some trojan or something into the image. Its the same image. Yes, jailbreaking and using software like backgrounder etc. may slow down things.

SE makes low end phones but they are really really crappy and fragile (I've had a couple of those). In the low end segment I would definitely prefer a Nokia anyday due to its sturdiness. In the mid range I would go in for an SE anyday. In the high end I would expect features like a nice touchscreen (the SE P series was a joke!) and would surely go in for any HTC device than Nokia or SE. SE has nice hardware but it should stop being stubborn and adopt android or S60 (if possible to license from Nokia) in the Rs.15k+ segment.

Btw, at least here in the US nobody buys Nokia CDMA. People go in for high end phones by LG, HTC, Palm etc.

Tamoghno

Padawan
I disagree on the hardware part. SE hardware is in the best of the league in any price bracket. Its just that they stuck to their proprietary OS and memory stick even for mid-high end phones. Nokia was smart enuf to gobble up Symbian at the rite time.

I thought hardware is the reason se couldn't come up with any vga video recording camera till now. Also se never used any special hardware/dsp for most of their walkman phone(and last few generations of nokia have better sound than walkman).

About the speed of pre/iPhone , they are good but certainly not at the level of symbian non touchscreens that i was comparing with. My point was touchscreen in generel feels slow , even 5800 is quite slow then other nokias.

No offence dude , but i smell typical american mindset of 'nokia is only for low end , se is king of midrange , and touchscreen is god of em all' in your post.

Btw , whats up people with zn5's looks . I was so damn impressed at first look that i asked a complete stranger who was buying that phone to take a look at it . The fit and finnish is unmatched in 5mp catagory.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Well thats the point. SE did not see the recession coming and stuck to the success of the K750/w800 and went on revealing hordes of copy/paste phones to flood the market. This resulted in more people getting diversified to more product groups which basically serve the same purpose. The mid-end market was totally dominated by the likes of the K790/k800 and now in the form of the C510.

And this is what I was trying to say all this while..

Look at this article.

Sony Ericsson has been boosted by strong sales of the W995 as it prepares to unveil an Xperia-branded Android handset.

Retail sources have informed Mobile that the W995 has been ‘flying off the shelves’ in its first month of release, after Sony Ericsson gave the device a £5m marketing push.

Sony Ericsson has been counting the costs of the W905’s software problems and the X1 Xperia’s underperformance, but the manufacturer looks set for a better second half of the year.

Sony Ericsson’s marketing manager, Dave Hilton, told Mobile: ‘We are very pleased with the way the W995 has sold, it proves there is still a strong market for people who don’t want a touchscreen, and that there is still an appetite from slider phones.’

The W995’s success looks to be followed up by an Xperia-branded Google Android phone, after a video of the device, codenamed ‘Rachael’, was leaked onto the internet.

*www.mobiletoday.co.uk/phonenews.as...kfxmen_noscript=1&ekfxmensel=e0fa05763_38_408

SE unlike LG will always remain a premium cell-phone brand. LG is up and running due to its enormous CDMA portfolio which has been on the upside as the downturn went more public. A good phone from SE with the market in a better position is sure to outsell many. What I would expect from SE now is to stick to their current mid-end portfolio or maybe add a few cheap 5 mp phones with xenon flash. A couple of cheap smartphones and not rehashes like Nokia does all the time. A mid-end smatphone is enough to generate sales for a long time.

Also their high end folio is pretty stacked up.With the imminent arrival of the Racheal and the Satio and the X2, their high end segment will be more diversified than any other company.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I thought hardware is the reason se couldn't come up with any vga video recording camera till now. Also se never used any special hardware/dsp for most of their walkman phone(and last few generations of nokia have better sound than walkman).
To date I've found SE phones to be better in terms of hardware - the speed, the quality. But then to each his own!

About the speed of pre/iPhone , they are good but certainly not at the level of symbian non touchscreens that i was comparing with. My point was touchscreen in generel feels slow , even 5800 is quite slow then other nokias.
Thats what I said, I feel otherwise :)

No offence dude , but i smell typical american mindset of 'nokia is only for low end , se is king of midrange , and touchscreen is god of em all' in your post.
I dunno where you heard about "typical american mindset" that "nokia is only for low end". People here do buy Nokia phones. In fact, the normal people here don't even care what handset they haf, coz mostly its the SE or LG handsets which are bundled free with the connection. I said that coz I feel only their low end phones haf the muscle. again... its me...

Well thats the point. SE did not see the recession coming and stuck to the success of the K750/w800 and went on revealing hordes of copy/paste phones to flood the market. This resulted in more people getting diversified to more product groups which basically serve the same purpose. The mid-end market was totally dominated by the likes of the K790/k800 and now in the form of the C510.
Unless SE switches to S60 or Android, I don't see the "informed" buyer using mid-range SE phones.

SE unlike LG will always remain a premium cell-phone brand. LG is up and running due to its enormous CDMA portfolio which has been on the upside as the downturn went more public. A good phone from SE with the market in a better position is sure to outsell many. What I would expect from SE now is to stick to their current mid-end portfolio or maybe add a few cheap 5 mp phones with xenon flash. A couple of cheap smartphones and not rehashes like Nokia does all the time. A mid-end smatphone is enough to generate sales for a long time.

Also their high end folio is pretty stacked up.With the imminent arrival of the Racheal and the Satio and the X2, their high end segment will be more diversified than any other company.
In the US, SE is NOT a premium brand. Nobody buys SE phones. They sell only coz they are given free with the connection. I am yet to see a passionate person going to the store and "buying" an SE phone!

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
I am not talking about the US.With the introduction of the C905a at a price of 180$s hopefully the market will be more endearing towards SE. The Satio is slated for a Verizon(CDMA) and an At&t launch latest by December which should also boost sales going to Christmas. Acc to me, the phones that boom in the US are generally flips or qwertys.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
@tamaogno-Well, the W995 sure took care of that. It is the best sounding phone in the market now according to all reviews.

Tamoghno

Padawan
@tamaogno-Well, the W995 sure took care of that. It is the best sounding phone in the market now according to all reviews.

W995 is a good phone . But with launch of N86, it wont see runaway success anymore .

C905@ $179 is ridiculas price . Its priced above many good smartphone (like e71) .

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
At least its out of stock in the UK and further pending orders. :D

I would be damned if the N86 is a huge success. Its the same old Nokia slider with the same looks + an 8mp cam on board which isnt the best either.

k4ce

Youngling
no smart fone = no sales . atleast at 14k plus range

i dont understand why SE fanboys belt nokia and samsung fones ... if se was really that gud , why arent ppl buying em ??? :p

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
no smart fone = no sales . atleast at 14k plus range
Exactly my point.

i dont understand why SE fanboys belt nokia and samsung fones ... if se was really that gud , why arent ppl buying em ??? :p
Not quite convincing. "If Chrome is that good, why are most ppl still using IE?" Sounds similar??!! At least in India, in the low end market I've seen people blindly buying Nokia even tho some of them are really very crappy as compared to Samsung/SE/or whatever.

One device that I absolutely love is the Nokia 5800.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
N86 wont be a success!.. hee hee . what a joke.. I think this same guy said this abt N82 way back in jan 2008 and look what happened to his beloved cybercrap...I dont need to tell the model no though ..now do I ? N86 is the best non-touch screen phone available in the market now ..no se can come close..period.. My friends own c905 and w995 and I know first hand how they sound..

Until se can come with good smartphones which does not cost arm and leg to own, they are crap in my book ..

RMN

In the zone
SE can boost sales with very simple things like SD card Supp. and 3.5mm jacks,many users are turning away frm SE for these simple reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom