some queries abt UEFI

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Am bit confused about UEFI and Windows Install and have some noob questions. Did some reading on net but it only adds to confusion!

If I wish to build a PC that has UEFI, do we get mobos that have UEFI instead of BIOS
Various mobo vendors that use terms like 3D BIOS, Click 4 BIOS etc are they actually referring to UEFI.

*technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx --> While in UEFI mode, the Windows version must match the PC architecture. A 64-bit UEFI PC can only boot 64-bit versions of Windows. A 32-bit PC can only boot 32-bit versions of Windows.

So if I wish to install Win 7 or Win 8 64 Bit in UEFI Mode, how do I get confirmation that I have compatible PC system/mobo etc?

Thx

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
every new cpu is 64 bit compatible / complaint so you should not face any issue installing 64 bit versions of windows in a new pc.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
yes..however is there any bitness to UEFI itself and does that matter when selecting what OS to or it can install

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
please explain it...
It basically limits you to the OS your OEM provided you with. You just can't make a bootable USB drive to install a new OS, irrespective of whatever the OS is, it just won't boot without disabling uefi and secure boot.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
But I had made my DELL Inspiron 14 5447 laptop dual boot with Windows-8.1 + Linux Mint,all within the UEFI BIOS system.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that used to be the case earlier,not now.
Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Secure boot is supported by Windows 8 and 8.1, Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2, and a number of Linux distributions including Fedora (since version 18), openSUSE (since version 12.3), and Ubuntu (since version 12.04.2).Support in FreeBSD is in progress.

kg11sgbg

[MENTION=86068]dashing.sujay[/MENTION], my own experience regarding DELL laptop has already been discussed here at : *www.digit.in/forum/laptops-netbooks/187845-friends-should-i-go-laptop-opinion-required.html

Also,
Well,previously I had to create an ext4 partition and a swap partition ,by reclaiming disk space from 1TB HDD,which consist Windows-8.1.

I had defragmented Windows-8.1 clearly using Auslogscs Disk Defragmenter tool.

You have to hit F2 key immediately to enter into BIOS or F12 key immediately for change in boot sequence,AS SOON AS THE MACHINE STARTS UP(Cold Start or BOOT UP).

Then I followed the steps which I had written on #44 comment under this thread.

Meanwhile, I had downloaded 4.3GB of openSUSE-13.2(64-bit) on Monday 03-11-2014 the day it was released. I used Ktorrent, BELIEVE ME IT TOOK 2HRS. 26MIN. ONLY FOR THE COMPLETE DOWNLOAD.

Hat's OFF to BSNL,KUDOS to BSNL...never any networking/downloading issues. GOD's Blessings and Good Faith from you well wishers.

I burned the entire iso image in a Sandisk 8GB usb Thumb Drive,using the tool "SUSE Studio Image Writer". It has became a bootable USB openSUSE distro pendrive also.

Subsequently, I plugged in the Sandisk 8GB drive and booted up the Ultrabook,with immediate pressing of F12 key.

There I chose the USB pendrive(Sandisk 8GB : Bootable openSUSE Distro.)as the 1st device to boot in,and after that following the steps as it happens on a normal Desktop-PC.

Of course during the installation stages I chose custom partitioning, as the default file system in this distro of openSUSE-13.2being the Btrfs,but I am at ease with ext4.

That's it Friends.

- - - Updated - - -

As of using within Windows-8.1(those of us who are using the Desktop mode) it is working like a charm. No difference from Windows-7.

But some issues are cropping up in openSUSE :--->

1). While no issue/problem as I use an external usb mouse(Circle USB mouse in the photos.)in Windows-8.1,the same is getting non-functional in openSUSE.

I mean, the mouse pointer is freezing in openSUSE,BUT NO PROBLEM IN USING THE DEFAULT TOUCHPAD OF THIS ULTRABOOK in openSUSE.

Is this a driver problem? I have to click every now and then to make the mouse functional in openSUSE.

Any solution to this problem @friends ???

2). Truly,the networking issues are completely gone and now fully operational/functional in Windows-8.1, BUT THE PROBLEM OF DISCONNECTION AND NOT ACCESSING THE INTERNET HAS SPRUNG UP IN openSUSE. Even though the wireless icon and settings are shown fully O.K. in openSUSE.

Requesting Friend, @whitestar_999 (our expert friend in networking) to solve this problem.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
seems my initial query has been lost in the discussion.
is UEFI available on retail motherboards 64 bit? is this info really relevant and is there any way to know this.
Mobo specs don't mention anything except terms like Visual UEFI BIOS, 3D Click BIOS etc.

kg11sgbg

seems my initial query has been lost in the discussion.
is UEFI available on retail motherboards 64 bit? is this info really relevant and is there any way to know this.
Mobo specs don't mention anything except terms like Visual UEFI BIOS, 3D Click BIOS etc.

Mostly all new and latest motherboards based on Intel chip set or AMD chip sets features UEFI BIOS.The things which you mentioned are extra added features on UEFI BIOS that may differ for different manufacturers and vendors for different motherboards.
There is nothing like 64 bit motherboards.All motherboards support 64 bit/32 bit architecture.Just ensure that your CPU(Intel or AMD)/APU(AMD only) socket is fully and exactly compatible with the socket of the motherboard.

Top Bottom