[SOLVED] Ms-Excel help for a n00b!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Guys I'm feeling so n00b like while asking this question, and i really know how silly this question is.
So my question is, i got a excel file having data of various students. Problem is I just have to arrange a whole column alphabetically, and i'm not able to do that :( . File is below, and i have to arrange I'th column (state column). Help me pls :(

Another question, i have to create a project report in word; while doing page numbering, i have to keep in mind that first few pages, say 5, have to be left without numbering, therefore starting from 6th page as page no 1 then on. How to do that?

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Re: Ms-Excel help for a n00b!

1) Take that sheet off the internet.
2) Select all the columns you want to sort.
3) Hold Ctrl and click the first cell of the column, according to which you want to sort the sheet.
4) Click on the sorting button. (A above Z and a downward arrow)

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

thnx for quick reply but there isnt any "sort" option in right click menu :(

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

*www.tizag.com/pics/office/excel/excelsortalpha.gif
That AZ button. Its on the toolbar.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Select all data, (ie, rows and columns), and then...

If its Office 2003:
From Menu bar, click Data -> Sort.

If its Office 2007:
From Ribbon, click Data, and Sort button.

As for you Word problem, I remember skipping page number for first few pages a few years back, but for now, just can't seem to replicate the solution. Maybe because I am using Word 2007, and it can be done easily in 2003.
But still, there's a turnaround you can use.

You can make two different word files, one for without numbering pages, and second file, from where, you have to start numbering.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

@dashing.sujay: which MS office version u r using?
in 2007 just select the names of students column (exclude the header) & in Home tab
there a icon "Sort & Filter" there u can sort the data alphabetically...

cyclops

Broken In

Guys I'm feeling so n00b like while asking this question, and i really know how silly this question is.
So my question is, i got a excel file having data of various students. Problem is I just have to arrange a whole column alphabetically, and i'm not able to do that :( . File is below, and i have to arrange I'th column (state column). Help me pls :(

Another question, i have to create a project report in word; while doing page numbering, i have to keep in mind that first few pages, say 5, have to be left without numbering, therefore starting from 6th page as page no 1 then on. How to do that?

You need to add section breaks in word. Set the footer for the first section without the page nos. and for the second section you can assign page nos.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

You need to add section breaks in word. Set the footer for the first section without the page nos. and for the second section you can assign page nos.
:blink: :crazy: OP is asking for MS Excel & not MS Word.Pls read correctly

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Adding a section break, DOES let re-starting page numbers from 1. BUT, it's not letting us to implement page numbers for just a particular section.
Deleting the page numbers from any page from Section 1, deletes page numbers from Section 2 also. And so 1st part of 2nd query of OP, doesn't get resolve. :(
"first few pages, say 5, have to be left without numbering,"

sakumar79

Technomancer

Simplest is to keep first few pages in a separate document without page numbers and pages to be numbered separately. If the page numbering for the second set must start from 1, default settings is enough but if page numbering must start from first section (only without the footer), offset must be given to the page numbering so that first page on the second section is noted as Page 5, etc...

Arun

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

*www.tizag.com/pics/office/excel/excelsortalpha.gif
That AZ button. Its on the toolbar.
Thnx bro that works and damn that was so simple :duh2: :)

@dashing.sujay: which MS office version u r using?
I'm using 2003, 2007 sucks for me!!

Not works!

^^Oh..my bad...failed to notice..sorry :lol:
LOL Zangetsu :D

Adding a section break, DOES let re-starting page numbers from 1. BUT, it's not letting us to implement page numbers for just a particular section.
Deleting the page numbers from any page from Section 1, deletes page numbers from Section 2 also. And so 1st part of 2nd query of OP, doesn't get resolve. :(
"first few pages, say 5, have to be left without numbering,"
Ya :( :banghead:

Simplest is to keep first few pages in a separate document without page numbers and pages to be numbered separately. If the page numbering for the second set must start from 1, default settings is enough but if page numbering must start from first section (only without the footer), offset must be given to the page numbering so that first page on the second section is noted as Page 5, etc...

Arun

Palle nahi pada :D And creating first "numbered-less" part in another file and rest in another wont help dude, coz as u merge them, page nos will automatically adjust in all pages.

sakumar79

Technomancer

^^ You dont merge the document in Word, you convert them to pdf files separately and then merge them using free tools like Quick PDF tools...

If you want in word itself, you can check out How to insert page numbers in word starting from page 3? - Yahoo! Answers where some answers are there.... Since I dont use MS Office (using LibreOffice), I cant check if it is working or not. Following is an extract from it for Word before 2007 version

1. At the top of the first page you want numbered, click the Insert->Break menu item.
2. Insert a Next Page type section break.
3. Move the cursor down a few lines so it's in the new section you just created.
4. Click on the View->Headers and Footers menu item. You should now see and be able to edit the section's header.
5. One of the icons on the Headers toolbar that pops up, probably the fifth from the right, will say "Same as Previous" when you hover the cursor over it. Click it to disconnect the header from the previous one.
6. The one to its right will say "Switch between Header and Footer" Click it.
7. You're now in the footer. Repeat step 5.
8. A third icon, probably the one to the right of the Switch one, will say "Move to Previous" Click it. You've now moved to the footer of the first section.
9. If there's a page number in the header or footer for this section, delete it.
10. Close the toolbar.
11. Go into the second section.
12. Click on the Insert->Page Numbers menu item.
13. Click on the Format button.
14. If you want the first section’s page numbers to count but not show, click Continuous.
15. Or, if you want the page numbering to start at one, click Start At. A 1 should show up in the list box adjacent to it.
16. Click OK.
17. Click OK to actually insert the page number.

Here is another link to solution: *homeworktips.about.com/od/computertips/ss/pagenumbers.htm

Hope that helps.
Arun

Last edited:
OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

^Thnx i'll check it out.

Guys gadbad jhala!! :(
Thnx to Ishu gupta and other members who helped me solving my problem, but my purpose is still not complete. Let me explain what i mean.
following solution as i was given, i sorted one whole column (here, I). But guys, other columns are struck in thier place as they were except I column. This has created messed up data. I mean all the rows now are pointing to wrong columns. I column had to be arranged taking rows into account na? :(
I think i'm able to explain my problem exactly what i mean to say, if not can i upload my file link to demonstrate exactly what problem i'm facing? help me guys :duh2:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

1) Take that sheet off the internet.
2) Select all the columns you want to sort.
3) Hold Ctrl and click the first cell of the column, according to which you want to sort the sheet.
4) Click on the sorting button. (A above Z and a downward arrow)
Make sure you did steps 2 & 3 correctly.

sakumar79

Technomancer

^^^ So, if you have serial number in Column A, Name of student in Column B, Name of parent in Col. C, Class in Col D, etc..., you have to select all four columns upto last entry. Then you have to press Ctrl and click on Column B first row (B1 cell). Then you should press the sort button...

Arun

OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Thanks to all buddies who helped me solving my problem. My both problems got solved :)

Top Bottom