Software Piracy! Then What do u call THIS?

(ans. after read. my post.)IS borrowing books from friends is a kind of piracy?

• YES

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • NO

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • I DON'T KNOW

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerthivasan

very very STUPID
hi guys.
i got a doubt.
my doubt is
when we make a copy or when we use our friends software like ADOBE PHOTOSHOP,..... we call it as PIRACY
right?
now
when we borrow a book from our friends to read, does it not called as book piracy?

IS BORRWOING BOOKS FROM FRIENDS (not xeroxing) is a kind of piracy?
if YES,
then is running a library is illegal?

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^It is clearly mentioned in The agreement that you accept when you install a software that you can use it only on a specified number of computers. But no such thing is there in any book (you can't reproduce without permission of publisher). So I don't think its piracy to borrow books from others

legolas

Padawan
^^ :) rudeeeee
Unless you want to criticize Wordsworth blatantly, Argument may win the situation but it loses the person with whom u r arguing.
Also, I could not find this quote in Wikiquote by Wordsworth. Could you please give a link? (just out of curiosity)
and to answer your question, I second asnvin, its not piracy for the same reason. That is why Book libraries exist and to my knowledge no software libraries do.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Yep and for most books, photocopying the book content amounts to piracy!

Thats coz then there are 2 copies of the book, much like like softare!

viswanadh

Broken In
The thing is at any time only one person should use the product. For a book, it's OK as it can be read only by one person at a time. For a software it's only possible by limiting the use to only one system and one user.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
It will not come under piracy. You can run a library only when you have proper license.

checked one novel and it is printed

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copyright owner.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Lending a book is like allowing someone else to work on the registered s/w on ur PC. Its 100% ok.
Think of pirated s/w as making another full copy of a book nd removing the publisher details.:)

Surely making copy of a book or copy pasting its contents is piracy.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
^^Right-o.

Borrowing book/Library = Multiple users using same product on same PC i.e. having one instance of the software in question present. [legal]
Photocopying a book = Installing a software on multiple PCs with a single user agreement. [illegal]

Also, please refrain from using the font size and colours you have used. I'm sure most of us here are not blind.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
No its not illegal but please post in text colors like black. There are some things called legibility and readability.

Last edited:

legolas

Padawan
^^^ Yep and for most books, photocopying the book content amounts to piracy!

Thats coz then there are 2 copies of the book, much like like softare!
He said not xeroxing (photocopying) but just borrowing. Its not piracy. I hope I understood your reply right.
but again, with e-books, I am not sure if they will have the same argument, more stringent rules might apply?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Borrowing book/Library = Multiple users using same product on same PC i.e. having one instance of the software in question present. [legal]
Sez who?
There are licenses which have per user restriction. See Qt Commercial License for instance.

hullap

Cyborg Agent
when we borrow a book we dont actually copy it and the other person cant use it.
SO ITS NOT PIRACY

legolas

Padawan
Sez who?
There are licenses which have per user restriction. See Qt Commercial License for instance.

I think the = sign is to be replaced with the term "analogous". as in,
"Borrowing book/Library is analogous to Multiple users using same product on same PC i.e. having one instance of the software in question present. [legal]"

hailgautam

Youngling
piracy in both books and software happens when you make copies of the same, unless you make copies it is not piracy. it has nothing to do with number of users a computer can have multiple users but it will only need one license. similarly books may be read by any number of people but it can not be copied. same goes with music cds etc, you can buy one cd and give it to your friends to listen but you may not make copies and distribute.

amitava82

MMO Addict
In India, Photocopying of book is not illegal as long as it is done for educational purpose and is done for non-profit. Thats what my law teacher told.. :|

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
What amitava said is technically correct. One of the Exceptions to Copyright Infringement is when

"A publication mainly composed of non-copyright matter, bona fide intended for the use of educational institutions, and described as such in he title and in any advertisements issued by or behalf of the publisher"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom