software for web browser dictionary

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
hello frndz

do you know any software which i can install on IE 6/7 or above or firefox as an addon or extension. so that i can find out the meaning of that word just by highlightin or some other less time consuming method..

Its Urgent.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The simplest thing would be to install free edition of WordWeb dictionary. WordWeb: Free English thesaurus dictionary download
After installing it, you just need to select the word (by double click or anything) and then press Ctrl+Shift+W (default Shortcut), and POP comes a window explaining its meaning, as well as synonym, if any. Great app! This works on words selected in any other applications too, like MS-Office, and ANY browser.

But if you want any extension to the browser, I have one, called as "Apture Highlights", for Chrome browser, which I use.
Screenshot would explain how it works....

View attachment 4148

I am sure, you can find such add on for firefox too, or you can use Chrome for the meanwhile. :oops:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Oh Ya.. just found the firefox extension too :)
*addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/apture-highlights/

OP
pulkitpopli2004

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
yeah m using apture highlight for chrome. but it doesnt work for IE..

i think wordweb wud be best option and simpled one.. i found some desktop assistant too but it requires internet..

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I just LOVE WordWeb. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + W has become my second nature when I need to look for a meaning of something.
And yeah, the shortcut is Ctrl + Alt + W, and not what I had written in my previous post. My apologies.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah. That was a good list. Making list isn't an easy task. But they accomplished it brilliantly.
Now I also have the list of must apps to install in Linux, now that I am thinking to try Ubuntu. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Ahem ahem.... correction... its Ctrl + Alt + W, not the one which you gave :)

Top Bottom