Smartphone under 35k

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Hi everyone,
I want to buy a mob. under 35k. My top priority is it should be getting updates for at least 2 years. I have had a very sour experience with my galaxy 3 which only got one update in its entire life. Only 50 small essential apps for me make it lag. I wanted to buy nexus 4 but I dont want to wait for that long. Right now I have dilemma between note 2 and xperia s. S3 and One X are old and I dont want a mob which is gonna be refreshed in 1-3months. Which of the 2 (s and note2) do you think vfm? And will xperia get updates for 2 years like from manufacturer of cm etc.
Again thanks for help :)

Empirial

Youngling
If you don't mind carrying a huge device in your pocket then Note II. Sony Xperia S is also a very nice phone & will definately receive JB. If you wanna try something different & can do without microsd slot then buy HTC 8X.

sharang_3

Journeyman
htc 8x if you wanna try wp8..it has received nice reviews..if android go for note 2...though you can expect s3 to recieve updates for atleast an year and a half as it is gonna be company's flagship till next summer.

OP
V

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
If it had been lumia 920 I would have given a shot, but right now wp8 needs some more development. The only wp device interested right now would have been lumia 620 ;). I know xperia s will get jb, I am actually worried about KLP. Sony almost never gives more than 2 updates but does cyanogeenmod supports this phn or note2. and do you think nexus 4 will come to india?? Will have money before new year... can't wait, every day seems like a week. :-D

sharang_3

Journeyman
lumia 920 coming in first week of jan...so if you can wait till then id say get it...best camera and wireless charging..

OP
V

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Went to see all options today. S3's looks suck!, note 2 is too big. I think its popular because people think they are saving money by not buying a tablet with a phn. None of my frnds who have note2 have a tablet actually. Xperia s is the best looker but not comfortable to hold and one x has the best in hand feel and second best looks. Will buy 2morrow.. now the comp. is between one x and xperia s :). Any last moment advice about the products or price anyone...?

X 0 N 0 D E

Broken In
Hi Vaibhav. TBH your criteria of getting updates for 2 years is slightly odd. I will just tell u a little bit about this update scenario.
In Android, forget two years. You can get updates from the last millennium too. Thanks to custom ROMs.
Secondly, brands have to stay in the markets and for this, the concentrate all their energies and money in developing new phones with better OS optimization. In doing this, making the same OS backward compatible is taxing. It not only makes no sense, it is a waste for all practical reasons.
The only company doing this is Apple.

But there is a catch. Newer OSes are built/programmed/made for better hardware. JB for example is better performing on a quad then a dual core device.
Coming to your question, if u personally ask me, a Windows Phone 8 is an investment. And if MS says it will get an update, it definitely will.
Android is and will be a resource hogger. Single, dual, quad, hexa whatever core u feed it.
In short, forget the updates. Make sure the phone performs fine today and for as long as u have it.
Hope I could help.

OP
V

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
That's the best advice man. Thanks. The only company which always gives update to higher end is samsung. My bro has s2 and it has a great dev community and samsung is still supporting it. But s3 is one fugly phone. I too thought really hard for wp8 route and lifetime free songs were a really good offer with nokia ;) but there is no lumia with wp8 available. I dont like to sell my phns and my mom wont get me a new one every year. Although I have a friend who has already changed 4 android phones: galaxy spica> galaxy 3> note 1> Note 2.... but then sure he is a topper:p

X 0 N 0 D E

Broken In
That's the best advice man. Thanks. The only company which always gives update to higher end is samsung. My bro has s2 and it has a great dev community and samsung is still supporting it. But s3 is one fugly phone. I too thought really hard for wp8 route and lifetime free songs were a really good offer with nokia ;) but there is no lumia with wp8 available. I dont like to sell my phns and my mom wont get me a new one every year. Although I have a friend who has already changed 4 android phones: galaxy spica> galaxy 3> note 1> Note 2.... but then sure he is a topper:p

Hah...i totally understand what u are saying man. What u need to see is which phone serves all ur needs NOW. If u like games, get a gaming phone. If u r a music phone, get a music phone with Beats. If u are a business type, get a business phone. And how do updates matter? They slow the phone down, some apps go in a limbo and age your hardware quicker.
This is just my opinion. And you said it, S3 is the ugliest phone I have ever seen. But people only see it otherwise.

OP
V

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
ppl who see s3 otherwise are the ones who either bought it or are sammy followers. And it is very true. Think about it if sammy was selling something like xperia s for 25k IT WOULD HAVE BEEN RAGE and if lg was selling s3 in place of optimus g only hundereds of them would have been sold. Samsung is Apple of android. I think nokia was wise going with wp else sammy bcos created such a hype by ads..... not even one critic has said that it looks better than one x or ip5. One X plus is even faster than it but still s3 remains the king. Its all about making a brand following and sammy did it very well in samsung galaxy s era. Top notch hardware and lower selling price helped them take down htc which is only a phone maker unlike sammy which produces almost anything. Heck even I would not have thought twice if Sammy made s3 like note 2 body just minniaturised ;)

Top Bottom