Smart Phone for light usage

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
1. Budget - Not very specific. 10-15k seems like a good deal. Please suggest based on my needs. Dont mind spending extra. But I'm concerned I might lose it since I'm a light user and most often I dont have the phone on my person.

2. Display type and size - dont care.
3. Form Factor - dont care
4. Preferred choice of brand - dont care

5. Preferred input method - okay with touch and qwerty
6. What camera option you want - flash and autofocus. Dont need front cam. wont use the phone for video calls.
7. Preferred operating system? iOS/Android.
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc) Bluetooth, 3G, Wifi
9. Preferred applications - GPS, facebook, gmail, wikipedia
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc) - navigation, calls, messages, camera.
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration - Samsung Galaxy Ace

12. Any other info that you want to share
- Want good battery backup
- Fast response on the screen is a must. Laggyness / jerky movements are unacceptable
- Dont have a good digicam/camcorder, so good camera is preferred
- Dont care about modding or 3rd party firmware or jail breaking or whatever. I'm a light user and I want things to work out of the box.
- I'm really a very light user. Sometimes it takes days for me to figure out that my phone has switched off because the battery is drained.

Issues with galaxy Ace.
- Poor video recording.
- Hear rumors over the internet that battery life is poor.
- Doesn't play divX / xVid out of the box. Adding one app is not a big deal though.
- No Flash support.

Thank you.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
My recommendations based on OPs query...

1. HTC Wildfire S

It is a good phone out of the box, but battery performance could be average. If you don't want to tinker with your phone, you must get an HTC...

2. Samsung Galaxy Ace

Good 5 MP Camera but very poor QVGA (320x240) video recording. Good built quality, light weight. Looks like an iPhone kirf. Personally, I don't like it...

3. LG Optimus One

Average built quality, decent performance, average 3 MP camera but good video recording (VGA). I own this phone... Its become better after using custom ROMs... Atleast twice as fast as it was originally...

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
A bit of change in requirements. I will be buying a camera. So very good video recording isn't so much of a necessity.

1. HTC Wildfire S

a) How is battery life ? Particularly in comparison to galaxy ace.
b) How is the screen response ? Its clocked at 600Mhz which concerns me. Does it produce lags in the UI or in games ?

2. Nokia C7
-Based on an older Symbian and is a bit costly ( 18k ). Not too inclined towards Symbian.

3. LG optimus one.
- Speed ( and UI ? ) issues out of the box. And 3 MP camera is a tad too low. I'll opt out of this.

How is motorola Defy ?

I like that it has a long battery life and is rugged.

Right now, I'm considering Moto Defy, Samsung Ace and HTC WildFire S.
What do you guys say ?

Oh, and I have sweaty hands. Will I have trouble handling a touchscreen ? Will a gorilla screen be better for me ? This would point me towards defy.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
A bit of change in requirements. I will be buying a camera. So very good video recording isn't so much of a necessity.

1. HTC Wildfire S

a) How is battery life ? Particularly in comparison to galaxy ace.
b) How is the screen response ? Its clocked at 600Mhz which concerns me. Does it produce lags in the UI or in games ?

Battery life is decent and better than Ace's it seems.
Screen is okay. Don't expect fireworks. It is a midrange device.

2. Nokia C7
-Based on an older Symbian and is a bit costly ( 18k ). Not too inclined towards Symbian.
I think the current price is 16k-16.5k

3. LG optimus one.
- Speed ( and UI ? ) issues out of the box. And 3 MP camera is a tad too low. I'll opt out of this.
Much similar to Wildfire S but has got very good developer support.

How is motorola Defy ?

I like that it has a long battery life and is rugged.

Right now, I'm considering Moto Defy, Samsung Ace and HTC WildFire S.
What do you guys say ?

Oh, and I have sweaty hands. Will I have trouble handling a touchscreen ? Will a gorilla screen be better for me ? This would point me towards defy.

Yes. Defy is a superb phone and for some reason, I like Defy more than SGS:L or W:S or ace.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
@thetechfreak,

Why would I want to install a custom ROM ? Android 2.2 official update is available for Defy.

--

Point taken about HTC Wildfire S battery performance. Reviews confirm it.

But it sports a 600MHz processor. So its rather sluggish and games aren't smooth.

HTC Wildfire S review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Mobile phones

HTC Wildfire S Mobile Phone review - Performance and Interface - Trusted Reviews

How does Galaxy Ace compare to this ? It sports the same processor but at 800MHz.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
sagargv said:
@thetechfreak, Why would I want to install a custom
ROM ? Android 2.2 official update is
available for Defy.
Wasnt aware. Its good that it got it.
But Android 2.3 is out as well...

cyclops

Broken In
C7 is worth the price paid. If you are okay with the Symbian applications, which are actually pretty good and serve every purpose.

Soumik

Padawan
C7 - Excellent hardware and construction. But the UI is really not worth it. Its too cluttered and feels really cheap. Avoid this.
Wave II - Even better hardware. But very buggy UI. Also avoid this.
Galaxy Ace - Good device. Low resolution display. Very bad battery life.
Defy - Own this. Excellent device for the price. Very high res display and very compact, strong body. Decent battery life.
Galaxy SL - Excellent device for the price. High res big display in a big thin shell. Moderate battery life.
Wildfire S - Havent used it, but Wildfire seriously feels slow once u use Defy/Galaxy SL. Only thing going for it is the HTC sense. Avoid it.

Between Defy and Ace, blindly pick Defy. Much better processor at same stock speed, much better built, comparatively much higher pixel density, better screen, slightly bigger screen in same or smaller body. Lags, never faced a lag while using any app or game.(Lags come when the annoying vodaphone pop ups come out of nowhere, and the frequency just seems to keep on increasing. Really frustating!!! Will raise a request to get them removed next week.) There was a slight lag while scrolling through menu on stock eclair, its become a lot smoother wit the froyo update.

Between Defy and SL, depends on your exp on both devices. SL menu screen is smoother than Defy, camera is better, but lacks flash. Has a bigger better display, slightly less pixel density, but hardly matters. SL has the same proc as Defy, at a slightly higher clock speed. The touch, while very responsive, sometimes mistakes flicks for taps, which can be my style error, but i faced it. I didnt like the huge thin body of the phone, but its a personal taste.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
I've skipped HTC Wildfire S. I guess I should skip Ace too.

Why is the Ace so popular ? Spec-wise its horrible compared to Defy. Ace is priced at 14k while Defy is at 16k. The vast difference in spec seems to make the extra 2k more than worth it. There must be a reason why Ace is so often recommended but not Defy.

So few people seem to have motorola phones. How is the service ? Am I missing something about motorola phones in general and Defy in particular ? It looks like a steal with no competition around its price point and yet its not often recommended.

Galaxy SL costs 19k while Defy costs 16k. Is the extra price justified ? For my needs, I felt 16k was getting a bit high. But 19k seems stretching it to the breaking point.

Last edited:
+1 for Defy. Rugged phone for daily usage, plus the latest update to froyo makes this phone perfect. I too prefer this phone over Galaxy SL/Optimus one/Ace/Wildfire:S.

I own optimus one, I wish defy would hv launched before the O1. :(

Buy VFM phone defy !

sureshk

Right off the assembly line
+1 for defy .planning to take it soon .
my only concern for defy is its high radiation . dont know abt SL

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
I was about to buy Samsung Galaxy S I9000 but that thread on HTC Desire came up.

Is it a better buy @ 16.5k from flipkart ?

Top Bottom