Smart Phone for light usage

Soumik

Padawan
Both Defy and Desire have very high radiation. Dont worry abt it. :)
Between Defy and Desire, i have Defy and my roomie just bought Desire. I would still prefer Defy over Desire. :)

aditya2696

Right here right now
can anyone tell me if wildfire and wildfire s has got flash support or not

can anyone tell me if wildfire and wildfire s has got flash support or not and which are the other phones that have flash in them

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I was about to buy Samsung Galaxy S I9000 but that thread on HTC Desire came up.

Is it a better buy @ 16.5k from flipkart ?

if you can spend 16.5k, go for it. HTC has promised Gingerbread and unlocked bootloader and it is one huge hit among mods. Just take a look at the number of ROMs available at XDA.

can anyone tell me if wildfire and wildfire s has got flash support or not

can anyone tell me if wildfire and wildfire s has got flash support or not and which are the other phones that have flash in them

I think flash needs atleast a 1GHz processor (if I am right). W:S support Flash Lite if I am right.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Looking at the battery issues with Desire, I bought Samsung Galaxy S.

Admittedly, the SAMOLED really attracted me when I tried out these phones at Univercell. Also the S is way more responsive than ace and LG O1 and the screen is markedly superior. I found that the phone lags a bit for about 5 seconds after booting while its scanning for media. But its fine after it settles. Is this the lag issue that so many people are ranting about ? I really cant complain. Even my PC takes about 10 secs to settle down after logging into windows.

And no need for itunes to load media from the PC ! iPod really bugs me with iTunes. This combined with the cost made me stay away from iPhone.

I have only one complaint about SGS. The GPS seems week to me. It does fine out doors taking about 20 secs to lock. But has a hard time locking in doors. Anything I can do about this ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Looking at the battery issues with Desire, I bought Samsung Galaxy S.

Admittedly, the SAMOLED really attracted me when I tried out these phones at Univercell. Also the S is way more responsive than ace and LG O1 and the screen is markedly superior. I found that the phone lags a bit for about 5 seconds after booting while its scanning for media. But its fine after it settles. Is this the lag issue that so many people are ranting about ? I really cant complain. Even my PC takes about 10 secs to settle down after logging into windows.

And no need for itunes to load media from the PC ! iPod really bugs me with iTunes. This combined with the cost made me stay away from iPhone.

I have only one complaint about SGS. The GPS seems week to me. It does fine out doors taking about 20 secs to lock. But has a hard time locking in doors. Anything I can do about this ?

First of all congrats. The lag that people used to talk about is not the slow boot time. The OS used to get slower and slower on use and also there used to be lag while accessing menus etc. This is resolved now and you should not be seeing that anymore.

coming to GPS issue, yes, GPS on SGS is pretty weak. Don't be surprised if it shows that you are in Singapore or in some other country :D

Do try out the Cyanogen mod. much better than the factory ROM.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Thanks.

Is the Gingerbeard Official update out ?

Too bad I didn't know about the GPS. If I had known, I would've bought a different one. Its decent enough for me to manage though.

The Download ( Vol down + Home + power ) and Recover ( Vol up .. ) modes are available in my phone. So is it safe to root it ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Thanks.

Is the Gingerbeard Official update out ?

Too bad I didn't know about the GPS. If I had known, I would've bought a different one. Its decent enough for me to manage though.

The Download ( Vol down + Home + power ) and Recover ( Vol up .. ) modes are available in my phone. So is it safe to root it ?

yes. the official update is already out. Update using Kies. and yes, rooting is damn easy. head over to xda forums. you will get loads of info there.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
updated to gingerbeard via Kies. Something's not right. I've connected the USB cable and the battery is charging, yet the power reading is going down and not up. I cant connect to my google account although maps and internet works fine.

GPS performance seems the same.

Is there a better gingerbeard or custom ROM or can i go back to froyo ?

Soumik

Padawan
2.3.4 CM7 mod. should be there for GS. Heard is the best and most stable one.
Chk out XDA forums. sure to get more info on it.
BTW, Congrats!!! :D Got one of my fav devices with u now. Wish i had some more money to get it. :'(

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
updated to gingerbeard via Kies. Something's not right. I've connected the USB cable and the battery is charging, yet the power reading is going down and not up. I cant connect to my google account although maps and internet works fine.

GPS performance seems the same.

Is there a better gingerbeard or custom ROM or can i go back to froyo ?

See if you can do a factory reset. Do use app called appbrain.com and make it remember all the apps that you have installed so that you need not search and install each app from the market.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Did the reset but no go.

Flashed to 2.3.3 JV9 ( from JV6 ) and this corrected the battery drain issue. Still couldn't access gmail. Flashed back to 2.2 and its fine now. I guess I'll have to wait for a newer release or use custom ROM.

I found flashing with Odin to be more reliable. Kies bricked ( phone != PC ) my phone twice before getting it right.

The CM7 mod doesn't seem to have anything special for GPS. Right now, I'm focusing on improving that a bit since its one of the key reasons I bought a smart phone in the first place. Any GPS fixing tips would be of great help.

Thanks.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Did the reset but no go.

Flashed to 2.3.3 JV9 ( from JV6 ) and this corrected the battery drain issue. Still couldn't access gmail. Flashed back to 2.2 and its fine now. I guess I'll have to wait for a newer release or use custom ROM.

I found flashing with Odin to be more reliable. Kies bricked ( phone != PC ) my phone twice before getting it right.

The CM7 mod doesn't seem to have anything special for GPS. Right now, I'm focusing on improving that a bit since its one of the key reasons I bought a smart phone in the first place. Any GPS fixing tips would be of great help.

Thanks.

hmm. okay. CM7 mod won't fix GPS but the OS runs faster, you have options to run other overlay UIs (launcher etc).

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Registered for Airtel Data plan ( 98 bucks for 2GB ).

Flashed 2.3.3 JV9. It didn't allow me to sign in to google via WiFi but had no issues signing me in with mobile network. But after the first sign-in, it has no trouble resigning in with WiFi. Weird.

GPS seems a bit better. But hardly functions in doors and takes 30 secs out doors. Anything I can do to improve it ?

This guy seems to have some elaborate fix that works well.
SGS, glgps, jupiter.xml, and you (how we can control the GPS behavior better) - xda-developers

How do I "install" the zip file he has attached in the first post ?

There's this fix "taken" from Nexus S which i think has a decent chance of working.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [MOD][ODEX/DEODEXED][JVB/JVK/JVH/JVO/JVP][+SOURCE FILES] Tiny GB Modifications by $

How do "install" this ?
-----------------------------
I think i'll have to give up GPS on SGS.

My mom wants to buy a phone for 6-7k.
- Decent camera ( 3MP is enough, 5 MP preferred ). Dont care about video recording.
- Good battery life
- Good call quality
- Dont care about touchscreen / android.

It looks like i'll have to swap phones for atleast a while. My needs
- Very good GPS with compass and google maps. SatNav is welcome but not absolutely needed.
- Decent music player with earphones.

I'm eyeing the nokia C5. Any other recommendations ?

If someone has the C5, please give a review of the GPS.
And C5 has ovi maps. How is that ? Can I install google maps ?

C5 lacks compass. How is samsung galaxy 3 ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Registered for Airtel Data plan ( 98 bucks for 2GB ).

Flashed 2.3.3 JV9. It didn't allow me to sign in to google via WiFi but had no issues signing me in with mobile network. But after the first sign-in, it has no trouble resigning in with WiFi. Weird.

GPS seems a bit better. But hardly functions in doors and takes 30 secs out doors. Anything I can do to improve it ?

This guy seems to have some elaborate fix that works well.
SGS, glgps, jupiter.xml, and you (how we can control the GPS behavior better) - xda-developers

How do I "install" the zip file he has attached in the first post ?

There's this fix "taken" from Nexus S which i think has a decent chance of working.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [MOD][ODEX/DEODEXED][JVB/JVK/JVH/JVO/JVP][+SOURCE FILES] Tiny GB Modifications by $

How do "install" this ?
-----------------------------
I think i'll have to give up GPS on SGS.

My mom wants to buy a phone for 6-7k.
- Decent camera ( 3MP is enough, 5 MP preferred ). Dont care about video recording.
- Good battery life
- Good call quality
- Dont care about touchscreen / android.

It looks like i'll have to swap phones for atleast a while. My needs
- Very good GPS with compass and google maps. SatNav is welcome but not absolutely needed.
- Decent music player with earphones.

I'm eyeing the nokia C5. Any other recommendations ?

If someone has the C5, please give a review of the GPS.
And C5 has ovi maps. How is that ? Can I install google maps ?

C5 lacks compass. How is samsung galaxy 3 ?

you should've mentioned about GPS earlier. and why do you want to go for galaxy 3 when you saw the issue with GPS on Galaxy S. Nothing beats a Nokia device when it comes to navigation and maps. consider 5230, E5 and C6-01

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
9. Preferred applications - GPS, facebook, gmail, wikipedia
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc) - navigation, calls, messages, camera.

Dont blame you for the crappy GPS on SGS. Rather I blame the reviewers. Not one of the three reviews I read had anything to say about GPS issues.

c6-01 is way out of budget. E5 is a bit expensive too. Any coupons for letsbuy which brings it down to 8k ?
how is the battery life on 5230 considering it has a touch screen ? Any non-touch screen cheaper alternative ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom