SLi Crossfire or nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
hey guys need ur help again.
current rig's config is in my sig.
since my mobo supports both SLi & Crossfire i wud like to setup 1.
my choices r:
1>9800 GT 512MB SLi
2>9800GTX 512MB SLi
3>HD4850 512MB CF

now tell me wat sud i do.
i'm buying 2 morrow.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Wouldnt recommend with cm 600w. A single card will work properly but not dual cards. cm600w gives out 18 amps on +12v rails.

amitash

Intel OCer
You can either go for 2 HD4850 CF or 9800GTX amp sli....but both seem pointless to me as you already have a 4870 sonic and there is no game that pushes this card to its extrmem limit...w8 for ati 58xx and nvidia GTX-3xx cards

EDIT: Do you grow money or sth? a core i7 and a 4870 and now a cf setup...:eek:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ There are games that pushed 4870 1GB but on higher screen resolution. But any card powerful than 4870 1GB ddr5 deserves to be run above 1680x 1050 resolution. In fact- if you crossfire or sli- it deserves to be run over 1680x 1050 resolution. Besides running more than one graphic card emits more heat. You need a screen with more deserving resolution, need more amps on the +12v rail (atleast 40-50 and above if your crossfiring/sli a worthy graphic card and a more cooling to remove all that hot air.)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
U have a HD4870.So I suggest two things:

1. Corsair VX600W @ 6k
2. Another HD4870, try to get the same as ur previous one.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
^^ +1

corsair hx620w and one more 4870.stay away from the TX series .way too much ripple( 90mV on 12 volt rail at full load !! ) . hx series is made by seasonic while tx is from CWT . vx450 is also from seasonic i think..
if u've too much more money , then get a 4870x2 crossfire setup. what monitor do u have ? i dont think u wud be doing justice to any of these setups if u've got anything under 27".

offtopic : the new jasper ( xbox360 ) has 9400GT as its gpu. and gta 4 runs fine on xbox 360 while it struggles even with the best g-card in a pc .. most games look awesome on ps3 and xbox360 if not better than a pc. .so why cant we get good frame rates and equally good eye candy on pc's which have as much power as that of a console ? does that 10mb of edram in jasper make all the difference ? cant that be brought to the pc ?

Last edited:
OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
getting 2x XFX 9800GT s 2morrow.
yipee i'm going SLi at last.
gud buy ATi & ur crappy drivers.here i come again nVidia.

wat do u guys say?this 9800GT Sli setup sud last me till June 2009?cuz after that i'll be getting 32nm Nehalem & maybe GTX 3xx Sli.:)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
^Thre reason is a bad port to PC

how about other games ? at the same visual detail that a console offers , will a pc with 9400GT give playable fps ?

edram - embedded ram . search in wiki.

i'm sure 9800GT SLI will last until june even though i wudnt take it. why do u want sli and its problems when u've got a gr8 single card ? post the benchies after u get it.

amitash

Intel OCer
wat do u guys say?this 9800GT Sli setup sud last me till June 2009?cuz after that i'll be getting 32nm Nehalem & maybe GTX 3xx Sli.

The HD4870 should have easily lasted till june and more..IMHO it was a pointless upgrade.
And 32nm nehalem?!? I think the 32nms are coming in first half of 2010 and they are called westmere not nehalem...nehalem is the last of the 45nm era...the next intel procy will be core i5 and since you already have a core i7 and the core i5s are slower there is no point in going for a CPU upgrade in june...I would have directly gone for the GTX 3xx cf or an ATi 58xx cf.

OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
got 2 x XFX 9800GT 512MB GDDR3 2day and i'm happy with the 3DMark06 score.its 21293.shall post screenies later.

benches posted here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104579

Last edited:

x3060

A LOTR fan
it was a pointless upgrade that you have done, why buy sli, or crossfire when you already had 4870?

i never believe in dual solutions unless its stable, which i don't think is gonna happen in a year.

anyways , congratulations on your new upgrade :).

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
To the HD4870.

Cud u give it to me? Lol

But if u have any older card, I wud get rid of my 6200. Hehe
Aab mazaa aayega

acewin

Point Blanc
^^ +1

corsair hx620w and one more 4870.stay away from the TX series .way too much ripple( 90mV on 12 volt rail at full load !! ) . hx series is made by seasonic while tx is from CWT . vx450 is also from seasonic i think..
if u've too much more money , then get a 4870x2 crossfire setup. what monitor do u have ? i dont think u wud be doing justice to any of these setups if u've got anything under 27".

offtopic : the new jasper ( xbox360 ) has 9400GT as its gpu. and gta 4 runs fine on xbox 360 while it struggles even with the best g-card in a pc .. most games look awesome on ps3 and xbox360 if not better than a pc. .so why cant we get good frame rates and equally good eye candy on pc's which have as much power as that of a console ? does that 10mb of edram in jasper make all the difference ? cant that be brought to the pc ?

you are very right, its not just with jasper, but older xbox also. I do not have much answer than a lame comment "xbox is a specialized hardware for gamin"

@all, never undermine hellgate in buying new hardware.
@hellgate, Bro, I do not hope this setup with you will last as long as june 2009. heehe.

OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
@all, never undermine hellgate in buying new hardware.
@hellgate, Bro, I do not hope this setup with you will last as long as june 2009. heehe.

its nothing like that dood.its just that i just cant resist hot hardware.

also why ru saying that they wont last me till June 2009?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom