Shuttleworth want Desktops More Beautiful Than Apple's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Ubuntu Linux founder Mark Shuttleworth is now urging for the development of desktops more beautiful than Apple's comps.

In the O'Reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON) keynote, Shuttleworth urged delegates to make a serious effort not just to catch Apple but to overtake the company in terms of the quality of desktop experience delivered to users, reports The Register

Shuttleworth said that the great task over the next two years would be to lift the experience of the Linux desktop from something that is stable and robust and not-so-pretty into something truly artistic.

Further, Shuttleworth raised some questions on the funding of such open-source developments. According to him, there is clearly a demand from companies and individuals for open-source software, but what's not clear is where the money comes from. So in order to earn revenue the software is stuffed with banner or flash-based ads.

Urging for a new revenue model to fund free software, Shuttleworth urged that the new model should not depend on such annoying ads fro revenue but just move to subscription-based services.

Source [*www.techtree.com/India/News/Desktops_More_Beautiful_Than_Apples/551-91433-581.html]

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
indeed there are some good concept UI made by users :D

hope to see them as default art too.

*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/3-7-1.jpg
*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/2-7-1.png

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
LOL don't make me laugh.. I think he has forgotten that there is something called "Simplicity". Beauty is not everything.. If you want beautiful desktop; go install some transformation packs, themes. That does not make any difference.

LOL don't make me laugh.. I think he has forgotten that there is something called "Simplicity". Beauty is not everything.. If you want beautiful desktop; go install some transformation packs, themes. That does not make any difference.
as T said, beauty lies in simplicity.
I used Ubuntu for one year, and I think its much much easier to learn to use than any windows version I have seen. Its add/remove programs menu, synaptic package manager, the system menu, and the various nautilus plugins... its simply too easy to use, and at the same time amazingly functional.

But if you ask me, not even mac can come close to arch in terms of beauty and simplicity :p

praka123

left this forum longback
Ubuntu should compete with macs reg ui coolness as n00b users are lured by simple gimmicks like "aero" by some corporations.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
So now shuttleworth is urging for a subscription based model for which FOSS supporters once bashed linspire & hate MS for giving software as a service.

talk about double standerds

narangz

Web developer
When I read the title, I thought they are going to make hardware too which will be more beautiful than Apple.

^^u forgot beauty in simplicity

That's what Amitava means. Beauty lies in simplicity. What's the benefit if you make the UI 'oh so cool' but using & managing is not simple?

But if you ask me, not even mac can come close to arch in terms of beauty and simplicity :p

LOL! Are you serious? Arch is simpler than Mac? :D

Last edited:

chandru.in

In the zone
So now shuttleworth is urging for a subscription based model for which FOSS supporters once bashed linspire & hate MS for giving software as a service.

talk about double standerds
Please post only when you understand what has been said. He makes a subscription service only for ISV's proprietary software. Other Ubuntu repo's and Ubuntu itself would always remain free (as in freedom and prolly cos too).

Go read the Ubuntu promise here *www.ubuntu.com/

Also, when did FOSS supporters bash SaaS and subscription model? Red Hat itself has subscription model and has good level of respect among FOSS users.

goobimama

 Macboy
Go read his blog. He runs all three :D.
Does he? I thought it was only Linux and Windows…

And with the Mac, its not just about the looks. You could very much make any Linux or Windows desktop 'look' like a Mac. Its the integration, the third party apps and the awesome hardware that makes the mac experience what it is.

x3060

A LOTR fan
why make some look or feel or whatever like mac, linux itself is great, a few UI change here and there is all you need.
just concentrate on making it better than compare and adjust, when you compare and modify accordingly ,you never grow beyond the compared product.

Pat

Beyond Smart
why make some look or feel or whatever like mac, linux itself is great, a few UI change here and there is all you need.
just concentrate on making it better than compare and adjust, when you compare and modify accordingly ,you never grow beyond the compared product.

Shuttleworth wants the linux desktop to beat OS X in terms of polish and beauty! That does not mean he wants to make it look SIMILAR to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom