Showcase your 3D Animation & artwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
@siriusb, thanks for the comment man, ur work is very nice too

@gx, the window is on the wall opposite to the one with the man utd poster(the wall can't be seen in the pic), and the tubelight has been included in the pic

This took 56 secs to render on my system, but obviously, most of the materials haven't been applied yet

*img44.imageshack.us/img44/5046/room0cf.th.jpg
My sys config is-
AMD Athlon 1.7 Ghz
512 MB Ram
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra

OP
G

gxsaurav

good room, U got many chairs, I only got one, :(

@siri

man the dasy is cool, mind sending me the Flower as a .max file, I will use it in my room, also a tutorial of how u made "object" will be good, I can with better material make it look really close to the real thing

I have never seen a wine glas in my life, so don't know how it creates the shadow, will modify with what U say.

TV jindabad

U got a system even more powerful then me (A64 3200+ compared to P4 3.06 GHz), which gfx card u use

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Yo abhijit, that's some neat modeling man. Good attention to detail. I still like the pillow and cot, but I guess u should apply a uvw map to the mattress and choose the "box" shape. That should cure the sides of the bed which currently looks "stretched". And is that tshirt a photo or texture. Can't wait to see the finished room.

@gxsaurav
I have a winfast 6600gt tdh pcix card.
No, I don't mind sending it. But just make sure you don't post a render of it anywhere. Which "object" are you refering to? The daisy or the dettol liquid soap?

Here's my watch I did some time ago:
Close-up:
*img39.imageshack.us/img39/8720/mywatch4ts.th.jpg

Far-out with strap:
*img39.imageshack.us/img39/6550/mywatchskylight8qy.th.jpg

OP
G

gxsaurav

I will use the daisy in the next artwork I m making, I m going too fast, which might hurt so taking rest & doing other things, right now just compleated making the shelf in my room portrate

the daisy will look better if a better material for the pot is used,

nice reflection on the watch

plz also mention which mode U run 3D Max in, OpenGL or Direct3D

--------------------------------
Max 7 SP1, Direct3D 9

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
@siriusb, thanks man, i'm not done with the final materials, hence i've not added the uvw map, i'll be sure to add it during the final render
Also, the shirt is an image which was created by me
BTW, ur watch looks awesome!!!

@gx, I'm running max7 under Direct3d 9

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
To Abhijit,
Ok, I understand you are yet to concentrate on the mats. You must be awesome with photoshop to do something like that shirt with the creases and all.

To gxsaurav,
For the reflection, I used a hdri image in environment map.

I run max7 in DX9 mode coz amd is good for running DX stuff than OpenGL. Why do you ask?

About the daisy...you have to understand that my models are not perfect. I make the models to look good as seen from the camera only. If this is ok with you, I can send it to you. Where do I send it to?

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
Finally finished entire modelling, now i've to apply materials and textures
Heres a test render with brushed metal material to tubelight and all shadows and global illumination on-

*img299.imageshack.us/img299/4764/room8pd.th.jpg

It took 24 mins to render!!!!

OP
G

gxsaurav

24 mins to render this scene only, man U need some optimisation fast

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I just want to make a small comment...

In all of you guy's render's the shadows are coming very poor...
You should use some other plugin for rendering shadows maybe mental ray...
The default one sucks....

I saw a guy having a 4 hr render.. But the image quality was awesome...

Here it is....

*www.pixelperfectgraphics.biz/cg_files/sss-glass.jpg

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
It's amazing that it took only 4Hrs to render that glass...contraption thingy. It's beautiful and eerily magnificient.

Here's one that took 10Hrs to render :shock:
*img36.imageshack.us/img36/3523/poolscene7gs.th.jpg

Basically, I wanted to create a wavy chair. Later I wanted a swimming pool to place it in. And later, needed some people to pose as using my chair. So, here it is. The ladies were default characters in Poser6 with a few, err, big changes and posed. Later I imported them into 3dsmax as meshes. Water is mental ray material. I know, there are a lot of mistakes in the texture. Also, the shadow on the lady looks pixelated, but I don't know why. I increased shadow map resolution to 2048, but still it is pixelated.

PS: Hey, gxsaurav, why did u want to know if we ran dx9 or OGL?
And, abhijit, post the entire room.

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
ok, i've finished the materials as well, and have figured out the lighting also
Now, gx and siriusb, i need to know how to optimise the scene to improve render time, otherwise it'll take ages to render!!!!
Also, at what resoultion should i make the renders?
There'll be abt 4-5 different pics showing different views of the room

OP
G

gxsaurav

I have made the windows & wall cut shelfs in my room animation, but since my room is under paintjob i can't post it right now, I m in a cybercafe right now, will soon post, the window was painted with multi-sub materials with material IDs for differnet faces, kinda UVW Map but done manually

now tackeling the problems one by one

nikhil

even with mental ray the shadows won't look good if the settings & photon values are not given properly, remember that scene took 4 hrs to render an artificial shadow, but in real life shadows are different, they are better termed as soft shadows, they blur as U move far from them, because of which the shadow will look darkest or most dence clsoe to the cam but less dence when it is far from the camera, that shadow is not realsictic, the shadow U see in Abhijit's room or my room is close to reality (in my room I have yet to give photon volumes & values)

siriusb

i wanted to know which mode U run Max in as this can help a lot in running max viewport, nvidia GeForce 6 or FX cards will run max better in Direct3D mode as the opengl driver for these consumer lavel cards are not made to run max 7 & maya etc, try running in OpenGL & U will see serious performance degradation & visual loss

The water materials could have been optimised by decresing the noice lavel & placing another copy of water below the primary water, creating an illusion of water while still maintaining low polygon count, & don't forget the Optimize modifier, use it where ever u can use it

Abhijit

If U R suing the defalut scaline rendere, then first remove everything which U don't need & place different cameras to show what u want to show, one simply isn't enough

what type of lights U R using, if they are omni or m area spot or target then change the color of shadow from black to light gray & select shadow map insted of ray traced shadow, also if u r using photon emition then try rendering without it, since the room is closed I guess that won't make a big quality difference anyway, select light effect shadow color

rendering at 640X480 with Sharp quadratic anti allising & hammersity sampleing set at .5 quality is enough, if there are no glass in the view then disable raytracing & set the ray trace value from 9 to 2, that is enough (above the "enable raytrace" checkbox)

in case U R using mental ray, however for this scene the default will do fine too, decrese the photon values to 100 or 500 from 10000 or high, disable scaline

U need to do R & D, yourself, disable whatever which isn't required, & then render, do not go for balckman or camulet - rom AA as they will make the image sharp & anti allised but that isn't required,

do not render field but frames & disable camera effects,

if possible, U can post the .max file here, in rar format & we wil also render it at our place, I will optimise the materials too & this will show u what to do next time

-------------------------------------------------

big post

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
OK, heres a small non-optimised render of my room with all lights, shadows, etc.
Let me know if it looks ok, then i'll render using some of the tips posted by gx
BTW, i'm using mental ray renderer
*img94.imageshack.us/img94/4420/room21ju.th.jpg

OP
G

gxsaurav

there seems to be over bright lightning, at the top of the almirah, did u also tried with the default scaline renderer, render at 640x480 atleast, unless u r making a video at 352X288

the mirror is not looking like mirror but another almirah, try placing the light to a bit right side, there should be a glare at the mirrors

Also, post a new render with the optimisation i told u to do,

& mail me a tutorial about how u made the pillow & the pillow max file, dam, it's so Pillow-e

wall is good already as for indoor wall, U have a wallpaper I have none so my walls shine more then usual

remember, remove all the unrequired polygons, also post the render time

OP
G

gxsaurav

Yahooo, back to my room & computer, first thing first, uploading the latest version of window & room,

the window is made by simple boxes, & the materials are applied by multi sub material, at last started learning UVW mapping

*img299.echo.cx/img299/5808/shelfwindow3au.th.jpg

Also, the room is now properly layed out, I don't have many things in my room, the big space in front is where the computer table is supposed to be with the computer, that is still under construction, infact not even started,

Use of HDRI in indoor sceans is useless, so using simple omni X2 & M area target

*img298.echo.cx/img298/1684/main9kz.th.jpg

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
OK, heres the first final render, i know it sucks, but thats the best i could do
After posting all the views, i'll put up the max file, so u guys can render the scenes urselves
I opted for closed window with curtains, so thats it looks more elegant, hence there is no sunlight, and the only sources of light are the tubelight and the light above the mirror
lete me know what u guys think

BTW, can u tell me why i can't see the shirt display and its appearing black?

*img110.imageshack.us/img110/6811/room6fk.th.jpg

OP
G

gxsaurav

maybe cos there is no light falling on it, I can't say exectly without taking a look at the max file, need to see the light target

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
That shoe looks good. Did u model it? Maybe u have to increase global illumination photons and bounce count to get light to those hard to reach places. Other than that, the scene is awesome.

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
No, the shoes weren't modelled by me, they were from some site which was offering some free models, same with the flower vase

Anyways, my gf has given me an ultimatum because i'm spending way too much time on 3ds max(according to her), so i'll be taking a break for about a week or so
Both my wrists were hurting like hell anyway, so maybe this is a good thing afterall
I'll continue posting on the forum to comment on u guy's work, but no 3ds max for me for about a week or so :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom