Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
G

gxsaurav

whats the problem in showing, your stuff, I say even U show what u r making

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
Hard pressed for time, and will take quite some time to upload the animation videos, but now that ur saying, i'll try to show some of it soon

OP
G

gxsaurav

Animation video, cool, I m still doing static sceans

One advice, for all the good old dial up users like me, plz encode it to DivX 6 at 320X240 with 256 kbps bitrate, that will be enough & make the background white, it will render fast

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
hehe, but that will mean re-rendering of some videos, and some of my animations took abt 7 hrs to render at 320*240(avi format)
So, I'll just post only the static scenes for now, and will try to do something abt the videos later
BTW, I'm learning everything from 3ds max 7 Bible, which is an excellent book for 3ds max

OP
G

gxsaurav

since my home is under renovation, I made a replica of my room, as it is right now, not of a lot of things there, it's made in such a way that I m sitting on the opposite direction & the place where the chair is in the scene, computer used to be, & right now there is no color on my walls, just cement

*img108.imageshack.us/img108/2598/room2ao.th.jpg

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
Hey!
Modelling ur room!!Now theres an idea!!
Furniture should be quite easy to make. I'm going to try it next
Thanks for the idea mate
Did u make the door manually or used the inbuilt one?

OP
G

gxsaurav

I made the door myself, first a box the exturded a few polygons at the front & then applied meshsmooth & then optimized the whole door for low polygons with good quality, do U want it

the handle is just a sphere, as the back part is not visible,

I m following one procedure, Y make something if in the end it won't be visible

OP
G

gxsaurav

This is a huge update to my room scene, I added the bed & table, removed the circular table & added texture to the walls & a color, this is infect the same color which will be painted in my room in a few days

I m also releasing an animation for a close up view of the room, some tinkering with the camera & auto key function, it's a DivX 6 encoded avi file, so make sure U have DivX 6 codec before downloading the file.

The original uncompressed rendering at 352X288 resolution took 9 minutes to render on my Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz with 1 GB RAM & GeForce FX 5900XT card, with the default scalene renderar, although it took 7 minutes with Mental ray, but for some reason the lightning in mental ray is weird, which I don't know why. The final file size for uncompressed avi was 120 MB, which came down to 1 MB with DivX 6, home theater profile, & insane quality, with noise reduction set to maximum & a bit rate of 640 kbps. Because of this there may be some blurriness, I recomend using the DivX decoder configuration application set the mode to "Fully Automatic"

For storage I converted the file to QuickTime movie with Motion JPG B codec & best quality, the file size came down to 15 MB

I have found some pretty good settings for rendering, with Max 7 default scanline rendered, as it is enough to render static sceans & simple animation, I will be releasing a tutorial soon

The rendered sceans with Mental Ray & Default renderer are given below

*img212.echo.cx/img212/1408/room1dq.th.jpg

*img86.echo.cx/img86/4995/mray1oi.th.jpg

Download the animation file DivX 6 avi, 1 MB

OP
G

gxsaurav

just a small simple creation, a sa practise of lights & caustics

*img274.imageshack.us/img274/3866/lightball0yj.th.jpg

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
There seems to be a rendering party going on here. Mind if I join too?
I have just started to use 3d studio max and have just matured past modelling petty things. My models aren't perfect, but it will work.
Here's one. I call him "squeezy" :)
As u can see it's dettol's liquid soap bottle. I made the label in photoshop since I couldn't find one to nick-off the web. Rendered in mental ray.

Edit: OOps, here's the image shacked one.
*img137.imageshack.us/img137/9702/dettolliquidsoapcam3bd.th.jpg

I don't know much about uvw mapping myself. I just played around till I got the result I wanted. Here is my long version: *myxp.blogspot.com/2005/05/be-100-sure.html

OP
G

gxsaurav

Can't see the pic, upload it on imageshack insted

but as U said it's a dettol liquid soap bottle with label, can U plz post a tutorial for UVW mapping if U know it, I need it, I m good at material editor, then modeling, but I suck when it comes to UVW Mapping

Also plz post your system specs & render times,alongwith Max version & rendering settings (press F10 in Max 7 for that)

OP
G

gxsaurav

just made something with Mental Ray, Glass Material made by me & Caustics, a simple shadow scene with realistic glass, tell me how real it is

*img285.imageshack.us/img285/6460/causticsglass5fs.th.jpg

& U r going ot teach me UVW mapping I really need it

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
Hey gx, I hope u don't mind if i post some of my work in ur thread
Just let me know if it bothers u...
Anyways, I said earlier that I was going to work on modelling my room, so here it is...an exact replica of my room-
Just a beta still, many materials not yet applied, and also there is no proper lighting, but this is just to show u a small preview of my work
I hope u guys like it

*img44.imageshack.us/img44/6558/room5wd.th.jpg

OP
G

gxsaurav

My god, U even beet in some things, dam i need to learn UVW mapping fast, everytime I apply a texture on a few faces of an object it goes out of boundry or something like that happnes, expically if I made the texture in photoshop

The chair is good, U R better then me when it comes to modeling & UVW mapping, but i m sure I can beat U anyday in Material Editor & lights

@ siriusb

how u applied the texture to the bottle of dettol, can u please post a tutorial & maps U used it,

I m writting my 3 page pdf article on rendering optimisations, both Video & static, will be released soon

as for todays last creation, I m uploading the wine glass with caustics I just made in Max , rendered in Mental ray & took 40 seconds to render. It's a compleate wallpaper

*img128.imageshack.us/img128/7850/wine0mr.th.jpg

Abhijit, plz post your System specs & render times, so that we & the other can use it as a reference

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
Can u tell me how to make a mirror effect in 3ds max?
I used flat mirror for reflection map, but it dosen't look right
And my lighting really sucks, i'm going to have to practice a lot on lighting

I'll note the render times the next time i render something and then post here

Hey gx, suppose I have one window in my scene and only 1 source of light(tubelight) on another wall, how should i go about the lighting?Can u help me please?

OP
G

gxsaurav

Hmm, a slight update to the existing wallpaper, made it more anti allised

*img261.echo.cx/img261/5602/wineglass1sp.th.jpg

now, for the glass i m releasing my own material library in which all the materials I have made are stored, U can get glass, mirror & water from it, it will even render fine with the default scaline renderar, but if U want try with mental ray too, simply apply it

*rapidshare.de/files/2813195/mat.zip.html

as for the lights, first tell me with respect to the above screenshot, where is the window going to be, then apply a m area target light outside the window, so that light comes in your room from outside the window, increse the intensity to 1.5 & make it white light, then apply another target at the place of tubelight & also if U R going to show the tubelight, make it, & put the light2 behind it, make the tube light transparent & white material based,

Enable shadows & caustics in mental ray, decrese the photon entry & volume to 100 from 100000, and render, move the lights till U get the result U want

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
wow, gaurav man, I can make stuff but can't dictate values off the top of my mind like you just did.
About the wine and glass...don't you think ther's something wrong with the shadow? The shadow is spposed to show the transparency of the glass and the filter color of the wine.

I am not gr8 at telling how to things like you are, but here's what I did with the dettol can.
- I modelled the dettol can by lofting a few ellipses. The squiting apparatus was polygon modeled. The topmost cap was lofted from rectangle and then scaled and stuff.
- Then, drew the label in photoshop cs on a 1024x768 canvas. I used a mask the shape of the label and saved as .psd
- In 3dsmax, added a uvw map modifier to the can body. The shape of uvw map I used was "planar". Could've used box too, but left it at default.
- In material editor, I chose plastic material and in diffuse map, specified the .psd file. Tiling set to 1x. Alpha source set to "image's alpha". But since the image was not exactly the same size as the can's face, I had to increase tiling to 1.3 to make it fit. I could've avoided this by aligning the camera 90 degree to the can's face and taking a screen shot of it. Then try to draw the labelfitting in that area.

There's another method which involves adding another modifier called the "uvw unwrap". This gives you a map representing every point of the 3d object on a 2d map. You can just paint on this and assign it as the object's diffuse map. This method is the only method used in games and other 3d applications.

@abhijit,
I like the bed. Noce cushion effect.

I'll post some of my other things soon.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Here's a good ol' daisy:
*img256.imageshack.us/img256/9373/mydaisy8ld.th.jpg

Used it to learn the settings of the Light Tracer plugin. Here's the daisy when I used too much bleeding and intensity:
*img47.imageshack.us/img47/6028/bleedingflower26yy.th.jpg

kinda modern art-like, huh?

Oops, I forgot:
I use 3d studio max 7.0, Photoshop cs.
I forgot how much time it took to render this though.

Here's my sysconfig:
------------------------
AMD64 3200+ (2GHz @ 2.2GHz)
Asus A8N-E motherboard
2x512MB DDR400 dual channel
2x80GB Seagate SATA (raid-0)
2x80GB samsung PATA
Synmaster 753s monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom