Share your Tweaking Tips here

Have you tweaked your computer?

• Total voters

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Not atually a tweak, but a way to get extra juice from your system, in case, you want to run that one heavy resourceful app.
I use a software called as, "Advanced System Care". It provides a one touch button, "Turbo Boost" which allows to turn off every major and minor background services, including the theme, to turn your computer into the BOOST mode. Task manager shows a significant drop in memory usage. I mostly use it before burning a DVD, but you know well, how much useful can it be!
With another press, it returns computer into the previous mode by restarting all the services. Quite a handy button, isn't it?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Q: The Windows 7 search box returns the files u search on the fly.:grin:
So,how to use exception for a folder to not to search inside dat folder?Any ideas.... :chinscratch:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I dont know about any such thing as, hiding a specific folder from searching inside. But their is something you can do.

1. Prevent searching from subfolders (Refer Prevent Search From Searching Sub-Folders | Windows Fanatics to do this)
This trick would work, if you just want to search inside the current folder and not the folders inside that folder.

2. Temporarily delete the folder which you want to exclude from the search results
This one is a "little" risky if you are not careful. You can just delete (not shift + delete) the folder from which you do not want to include in search result. Just make sure that it is going to recycle bin, and not being permanently deleted. (It can get permanently delete, if the size of the folder is more than the space allocated for Recycle bin, but windows WILL ask for a confirmation, in clear English. How graceful?)
Now dont forget to restore the folder, which you deleted, after searching :p

3. Lastly, the most preferred choice... Use Everything
"Everything" is a little (read, tiny) and nifty tool, which searches in a few seconds, from a specific term (your search query) from the entire contents of your hard drive. (I love it)

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Tip-

Delete the files in your temporary folder from time to time(preferably daily)-

1) Open the Run box and type
Code:
 %temp%
and Shift+Del everything there
2) Use software line CCleaner to run a cleaner
Download here-> *www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Also, you need to delete contents from temp folder from time to time...
that's, after entering "temp" in run dialog box.

sygeek

Technomancer
Add "Open File Location" to Right-Click Context Menu:
Download the ZIP file, extract it and run the "Add Open File Location Option in Windows XP.Reg" file to add this option. There is also an Undo file in case you want to remove the option.

Remove CrapWares and Speed up you PC:
Thought I'd share how I actually do it but there are better instructions I found:
  1. Follow the steps mentioned here
  2. Run CCleaner
  3. Run TuneUp Utilities
  4. When you are done with TuneUp Utilities, uninstall it (unless you really like it). Just keep the installation file in case you want to redo the above steps in the future
  5. Remove the viruses from your PC (if any) with your preferred anti-virus.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Add "Open File Location" to Right-Click Context Menu:
Download the ZIP file, extract it and run the "Add Open File Location Option in Windows XP.Reg" file to add this option. There is also an Undo file in case you want to remove the option.

Now THAT is one Useful tip. Way better then the Right Click -> Find Target method, I have been doing all these years. Thanks.

Works in XP, will test in Win 7 later.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you mean GBoost? Totally love that software, I was surprised when it actually worked.

No - I'm talking about Game Booster - get it from here :
Game Booster 2.0 Free Download, Speed Up PC for Top Gaming Performance

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ From what have I learned (from an irritating YouTube vid), GBoost is a free alternative for Game Booster, which is paid.
So both are DIFFERENT things.

sygeek

Technomancer
Found a very useful Windows XP Tweak guide in PDF format (170 pages) -
Windows XP Tweak Guide

Wanted to post this as a new thread so that more users will be aware of it, but this thread serves for the exact same purpose. I'll be happy to post this as a thread if an admin permits me.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ From what have I learned (from an irritating YouTube vid), GBoost is a free alternative for Game Booster, which is paid.
So both are DIFFERENT things.

Gane Booster was onec a completely freeware app ( upto version 2.1 guess ) and they still have a freeware version anyway.

Will try oput GBoost and comment on the same.

Top Bottom