Share your Tweaking Tips here

Have you tweaked your computer?

• Total voters
Correct one : Tricks For Window
Old one but a nice site(for xp only i guess)..used to be a regular viewer when i had only xp :) . Now i dont have much time for XP, busy with Ubuntu and SUSE :p
For Windows 7: TweakWin7.com - Windows 7 Tweaks, Tips and Secrets is a good one.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ thanks for the links and even my blog contains some old but good tips and tricks ( including a BSD one ) - don't know if they works in windows 7 ( don't has much time to update the blog but if I can will update it with new tricks and obviously it won't be a copy and paste stuff :p

This is not an actual tweak but yea its fast way to access command line from any where in computer.
1)Hold down the Shift key and right click on any folder in Windows 7 and select Open command window here.
2)A command prompt will open with the current directory set automatically.

I know it as I had tried it before
I never had the good luck to use Vista too much. I only used it when it comes to me in "half dead mode" in a friends laptop and i am supposed to revive it or backup the data and remove it permanently :) !

techwhiz.in

Broken In
I was having issues with my Broadband speed some time back...the speed was very slow ...i was able to use skype and gmail but was unable to open any sites ....some time they would open after multiple refresh ....I called up BSNL and as usual they didnot responded so i googled it and found a great solution ...
I just changed the DNS Settings to Open DNS Server

Preferred DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

and now my speed is better than what it was befor getting worse.

aah well, automatic dns works for me but sometimes bsnl really freaks me out so i use 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 and things are fine back again !

techno_geekyguy

Right off the assembly line
I am posting ways to tweak with gtalk...
Dammit, too lazy to type...
YouTube - Tweak with Gtalk

I created this video about tweaking with Gtalk...
What I forgot?
If you are chatting with some1, u can make your text bold by enclosing it within asterisks :shock:, e.g., *tweak*
And, even multiple words like, *tweaking with gtalk*
Do you run Google Chrome with lotsa extensions on a slow computer.
Then, just open the Windows Task Manager and in the process tab, see how much memory it is consuming..
Saviour Tip, open Chrome and hit Shift+Esc and end all those processes consumed by the extensions.
You are done, enjoy with lower number of hangs...:idea:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
To prevent Virus enters from Pendrive/ Portable HDD or any other device via USB install Panda USB Vaccine

Get it here- [Click This->] Panda USB Vaccine - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
yeah..pressing shift button while entering usb drive also stops.

When there is virus,you cant prevent autorun without pressing shift or without software.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I use avira antivir along with no Autorun and avira antivir also blocks autorun for usb mass storage devices and I get double protection against autorun viruses :p

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
its not a tweaking tip but i bet not many of u know this.....

if ur a Windows XP user then go to desktop properties > click Settings Tab >
Now double click on the monitor image.....:mrgreen:

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did not know about that - it opens up the advanced properties Box for monitor.

Anyway, thanks for this :p

Top Bottom