Share your Tweaking Tips here

Have you tweaked your computer?

• Total voters

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Let's see how you guys out there tweak your hardware / software to get the max out of your systems...

Anything goes, from overclocking to even taking the babies way out and installing TweakXP...

Let us know about it...

ujjwal

Padawan
The fun of playing games comes only when you have to tweak them to make them run. Then you can enjoy, even if you lose. ;)

ice

In the zone
Yeah...cource..

umm search for this post where ive posted losta tweaks.. it was between me and mariner.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmmm.... I was searching for my Services related post and Ice helped me find it .. This forum's search system sucks ...
Raabo you should convert this forum to vBulletin ..

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ok, post what you think is the best way to tweak your computer/internet connection/games and the best tweak gets your name in digit :D

maybe that will bring a better response :)

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
TCP optimizer from www.speedguide.net does the trick for my connection.

For my gaming tweaks i am using Nvhardpage from here

also have overclocked my Geforce 4 MX440 for performance gain !
core @ 250 Mhz overclocked @ 275 Mhz
memory @ 333 Mhz overclocked @ 378 Mhz

Hope this helps !! :D

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Ok .. Here I go ..

Blocking Unwanted Content From the Net

This can be done by editing a file called Hosts used by MS TCP/Ip for locating IP addresses for typed urls ..
What happens is Windows keeps tracks of IP address of sites visited by you in this file so it wont have to query the DNS service every time you open the website .. When you put an address in the address bar the address is first resolved to an IP address .. So Window keeps this file to list known IP addresses . ..
What we will do is to put a 127.0.0.1 for each site you wanna block .. like common ad servers and spysites .. When request to this site is found Windows will search for their entry in the Hosts file and it will found this (127.0.0.1) address and it will try to connect this site which is your Localhost address .. So it wont find the ad images and ad popups and the like .. Your computer will then give up calling the ad server and no ads will be loaded, nor will any tracking take place. Your choices for blocking sites are not just limited to blocking ad servers. You may block sites that serve advertisements, sites that serve objectionable content, or any other site that you choose to block...

This HOSTS file is located here:

Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\
Windows XP c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
Windows NT/2000/ c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\

This Hosts file doesnt have any extension .. You may find Hosts.sam in Win 98 but it is only a dummy file ... You should save the Hosts file corresponding to ur Operating System ...

So a small example Hosts file :

Code:
# localhost: Needs to stay like this to work
127.0.0.1   localhost

127.0.0.1 123banners.com
127.0.0.1 ad.adsmart.net
127.0.0.1 ad.ca.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.de.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.es.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.fr.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.free6.com
127.0.0.1 ad.it.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.iwin.com
127.0.0.1 ad.jp.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.kr.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.linkexchange.com
127.0.0.1 ad.linksynergy.com
# and so on ...

The # sign denotes a comment ..

You can find a sample Hosts file here ..
(The file contains many entries I found at www.mvps.org)

PS .. When ad image is blocked a red cross box is visible (page not found messages) .. There is a program called eDexter availible to replace the error message with transparent image ..

And yes .. I have read that putting 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1 also works but it creates problem with proxy servers thats why I am not suggesting it ..

G

gxsaurav

This might not be a tip, but if U R not connected & not using CD or floppy, disable Antivirus to gain app launching speed

For dial-up users, download Tz Connection booster, best one I have seen

To change the name of Application installed in ADD\remove Applet simply

1) Go to HKEY Local Machine -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Uninstall

2) look at the rite side pane for each key, look for the string, Display Name & change it to whatever U want

2) To change the icon, a 16x16 only, enter the string, Display Icon & enter the path for the icon

These are only aplicable for Windows 2000/XP

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
found this extremely useful as I use the command prompt a lot in Windows:

The following registry entry will add one more menu option when you right click on folder to open up a command prompt :

Put the following in notepad or something:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd]
@="Open Command Window Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd\command]
@="cmd.exe /k \"cd %L\""

save it as a .reg file somewhere. Now double click on it and import the contents into the windows registry and voila! Goto windows explorer right click on any folder and u will have "open command window here" in the option!

ujjwal

Padawan
Nice to see this thread revived.

If windows detects 32 MB (?) or more RAM on your system, it automatically enables a feature called browse new process for internet explorer windows, such that each IE window is opened under a seperate process. However, on some systems this may be a slow down particularly with multiple windows as more space in the memory would be occupied by each. It's useful on systems with 64MB or less RAM to disable this. Go to start>run>regedit and browse to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess]
and create a string value (or modify the old one) called BrowseNewProcess and give it a value of Yes or No and restart windows. Note this will mean if one instance of explorer crashes all others are affected.

ujjwal

Padawan
Linux: Enabling DMA with the hdparm utility

Most distro's come with the hdparm util, so you dont need to recompile the kernel to enable DMA. Use this command

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

where hda is your hard drive

A good idea to check what settings are being used before

type hdparm /dev/hda

And hdparm -Tt /dev/hda to test performance

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
X-Setup Pro is a so-called "tweaker" program; it allows you to change settings that are normally hidden deeply in Windows fast and easily.

X-Setup Pro knows more than 1,700 of these settings and displays them in an easy to use interface, grouped by several aspects.

The best thing is that it's free.

Get it @ *www.x-setup.net/downloads/home.asp?lang=EN

Ashis

In the zone
Small Trick !!! :D

1) U Guys must be using the Up arrow key in the windows explorer ToolBar (To Move to the parient Directory). Now try Clicking It With Ur Ctrl Key Pressed (U get the parient Directory In a new Window)

Wanna More.... Later!
If U Knew it.. Spread It, If U Don't.. nJoy !!!

Top Bottom