server folder permission problem

sudiphans

Broken In
techies
i have a folder in server 2003 , today i removed all the security settings to give fresh permissions to new user in that process i also removed the permmission of administrator also.

after that i gave permission to administrator and other domain user.
then when i entered in the folder and accessed other folder inside. i got an error access denied.

when i clicked on the security tab an error comes that you dont have permission to view or edit the security settings,but you can set auditing.

because of this i cant able to open the folder. i am the local administrator of the machine.
my server is 2003 windows sp2 . please help its urgent.

Last edited:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Modify the title to something sensible so that people know what the thread is about. Do not use such titles... Help or urgent reply.

Sent from my GT-I8350 using Board Express

OP
S

sudiphans

Broken In
mr ssk kindly give reply technically. u have read my problem and given a administrative reply.

thanks i have corrected my heading . now please visit and reply.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
you already have another thread about the same thing. why not edit that thread. opening multiple threads one after another just cause nobody won't attract any attention. heck, most won't open this thread as the next thread is by you as well.

editing the title & locking your last thread.

OP
S

sudiphans

Broken In
i dont know what happened in this forum. my friend sam i think there is a confusion regarding the problems you have read now.

first thing is that my earlier problem is for security update of windows server machine ,
and my next thread is for folder permission in server. are this questions are same.

i need a simple answer , not a bundel of admin suggestions. please help me to get my problem solved

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
I am hoping that you've enabled the security tab in your Windows Explorer.

Go to that of the folder in question. Click Advanced>Change Permissions>Edit

There, read and check/unchech all the boxes as necessary.

OP
S

sudiphans

Broken In
my security tab is there but i get error that you dont have permission to view or edit the settings and also the ownership tab is missing from there.

if i had the owner tab i could have taken the ownership but now not possible since the tab itself is missing.

Neeraj J

Broken In
Hi Sudiphans,

Is it a single domain machine? Which user you are logging with? If it is DC you have only domain admin user, if it is not you can try with local admin along instead of domain admin. Secondly, try renaming folder & then check. Thirdly, check it in safe mode. Fourth, re-register security dll file using Start>Run and then type "Regsvr32 rshx32.dll". Fifth, run chkdsk /F parameter once. Also check properties of rshx32.dll file in System32 folder & check for everyone access. Reboot machine & check after each relevant step, if possible. :grin:

Hoping that you have disabled "Simple File Sharing" ;-);-)

OP
S

sudiphans

Broken In
from where i get this simple file sharing in server 2003
please tell me the steps

i forget to tell you but it is in domain. i logged in with local admin .

Neeraj J

Broken In
By default simple file sharing is disabled, just wanted to confirm that by any GP it shouldn't be enable. Have u tried mentioned steps? What if you copy and paste that folder somewhere else in system i.e. into some another folder or drive?

OP
S

sudiphans

Broken In
one i should say that my server is used as a file server and the folder and many of its subfolders are shared .

regarding copying that folder, it is not copyied nor renamed because it is saying access denied. dont think of the virus aspect system is clean.

i have got the problem.
the owner of the folder is a domain user which i dont know. mistakenly i have taken out the permission of administrator. Now nor as a local administrator i can take the permission nor ownership of the specified folder.

now tell me can it is possible as a local ownership to force take a ownership of a folder. or i have to contact the domain administartor

Top Bottom