Scheduling tasks in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

In the zone
I use FC5. I have Windows XP also & I am very much used to scheduling applications in Windows. For example, since I have a dataone connection, whenevr I want to download large files, I schedule my download manager to start up automatically at 2AM & start downloading.

Basically, I find this functionality miccsing in Linux apps. i may be wrong. I didn't find any way to schedule tasks. Nor do I find any way to schedule downloads. Can anyone suggest how to schedule in Linux & if there are any download managers & bittorrent clients with scheduling options for Linux.

Thanks in advance.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Windows XP is known for it's ease of use. Actually it borrowed a lot from it's OS counterpart Unix!!
Ok forget about those details. Linux is based on Unix , which is a very powerful O.S. If you are an expert,
you can fine-tune everything in it. Most Windows users are dumb-heads , got used to doing things the
simple way!!

For scheduling tasks in Linux there is 'at ' command :

at now : the job will run immediately

at now + 10 minutes : the job will run after 10 mins (from the current time)

at now + 5 days : the job will start after 5 days (from the current time)

For eg.,
$at -f /root/bin/runme now + 5 hours

Runs the commands from the file '/root/bin/runme' after 5 hours , from the current time.
You can use the 'atq' command to view the scheduled jobs(tasks).

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
To automate tasks in Linux you have cron.
For more information on cron type 'man cron' on your system.
Also check out this link *www.linuxhelp.net/guides/cron/.
I don't know of download managers with scheduling options but I think Azurues has scheduling options.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
hmmm... isn't there any GUI based tool like task scheduler on Windows?. I don't necessarily enjoy working on the CLI.

Anyways, I have azureus & I haven't seen any scheduling options in it.

I will check out this xdownloader thing.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Try Kcron *linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/112-Schedule-Tasks-in-Linux-with-Ease-Kcron.html. It maybe found in FC if you install KDE. Or you can search in yum.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
hmmm...Awesome. Kcron is just about whats needed. I don't know why it wasn't installed by default. Anyways...thanks.

Also any bittorrent client with scheduling built in?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom