sata to usb converter

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Hi,I have salvaged a 500gb seagate baracuda hdd from my desktop made in 2012,which I guess have a sata? connector.I would like to use it as portable hdd .Could you suggest me some appropriate connectors?
Thanks

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
2.5 inch External HDD Enclosure -298.

Link:GOOD QUALITY RANZ External 2.5 " inch Sata Casing HARD: Amazon.in: Electronics

3.5 inch External HDD Enclosure -888.

Link:SUPER-IT SVB SATA 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive Enclosure Price in India - Buy SUPER-IT SVB SATA 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive Enclosure online at Flipkart.com

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Thank You Bs sunil ,since its external hdd I think it would be 3'5 mm,
And you have changed your name :D

Flake

Linux User
All enclosures come with very cheap Power Adapters. I have tried three different sets. Adapters stop working with in one week or so and there is no way to repair these. I couldn't even find new adapter any where. I am using PSU for power now. I would suggest to buy something like this one.
Sata Pata IDE Drive TO USB 2 0 Adapter Converter Cable FOR 2 5 3 5 Inch | eBay

Adapter will go kaput after a few times use. You can use your computer's PSU or buy new one just for HDD after that.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
All enclosures come with very cheap Power Adapters. I have tried three different sets. Adapters stop working with in one week or so and there is no way to repair these. I couldn't even find new adapter any where. I am using PSU for power now. I would suggest to buy something like this one.
Sata Pata IDE Drive TO USB 2 0 Adapter Converter Cable FOR 2 5 3 5 Inch | eBay

Adapter will go kaput after a few times use. You can use your computer's PSU or buy new one just for HDD after that.
Hmm thanks..the enclosure seemed a bit clean as less wires but now will buy tha adapter

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
the adapter-kit has even worse power-supply. enclosure would still be better. if usage is going to be for a few months, the latter would be advisable. am using one from TAG. SVB seems to have newly launched the enclosure. i've had a controller from SVB earlier. felt quite sturdy & durable. the enclosure may be good too.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
the adapter-kit has even worse power-supply. enclosure would still be better. if usage is going to be for a few months, the latter would be advisable. am using one from TAG. SVB seems to have newly launched the enclosure. i've had a controller from SVB earlier. felt quite sturdy & durable. the enclosure may be good too.
Hm so whatever I buy will only last for 2 months max?what would you suggest? I wish to use it until it fails.I can buy a good power adapter if needed.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hm so whatever I buy will only last for 2 months max?what would you suggest? I wish to use it until it fails.I can buy a good power adapter if needed.

would suggest the enclosure. looks less messy, and can last for a decent period of time if well-used. the adapter-kit OTOH is of questionable quality these days (unlike some years back; at that time i had one which had lasted me long) and is quite finicky (could power down or reboot if the power-adapter/cable gets touched during operation). you can judge that just by taking a feel of its power-adapter alone (very light as if hollow; makes some sounds sometimes). have read many people's feedback saying how it lasted them only for a few weeks; but the power-adapter could possibly be replaced if looked through in the local electronics market, though can't comment on the probability of its being available. apart from that, it takes more space and gives your table a real chaotic, ugly look (esp. if its small).

you can find enclosures similar to the SVB one mentioned above, on ebay, like from tricom, storite, technotech. then there are some docking stations too, but those are costlier (upward of 1-1.5k), and may better be had locally. the TAG one i have, it had some warranty on it. don't know if others have it. the no-name adapter-kits though never have it (only their power-adapter is given a warranty of 3 months for some).

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
i have 2 - a 3.5 enclosure with power adapter (used very few times) and an adapter (like suggested in Post 6) that is used often. both are from tech-com and none of the power adapters have gone bust. i have used the adapter with 3.5 HDDs, ODDs and right now its lying on the bed besides me. it works fine even after 4 years.

Flake

Linux User
Maybe it was my bad luck. Three adapters from different companies gone kaput after a few times usage only. I have searched for adapter everywhere, offline and online, no success.
Even local dealers don't give a single day guarantee of Adapter.

Top Bottom