• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

Sata power adaptor burnt..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dip_10

Broken In
Hi,
Today I got changed my SMPS. After connecting everything I started my PC and got smell of some insulation burning. I switched off. To my utter surprise I found that the SATA power adaptor is burning with smoke. The insulating cover got porus. Please suggest what should I do..
Thanks in advance..
 

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
You can ask for the replacement of the guy who sold you the SMPS. I think you have to go hard on him. Show him what happened. If not, you just have to get a replacement if it's under warranty.
 
OP
D

dip_10

Broken In
The SMPS is frontech make. I bought just 2 weeks ago and it failed. Today only I replaced it. The converter converts common 4 pin cable to SATA power cable. After connection this thing happened.
 
Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
I have just come home after buying a new sata power adapter(sata to molex converter) for my friend. It burned away yesterday. He had bought the PC last week. There was no earthing in his home. two days after he bought a new graphics card. I connected it, started the PC and shooo...the mother board burned away. We got it silently replaced from the dealer(saying him that the motherboard was faulty):eek:. Day before yesterday, smoke and terrible burning smell came from the new hard disk. That day itself, we did the earthing, fearing that no-earthing was the cause. And yesterday, the cable power cable burnt away form the junction point.

So we took the Cpu to the dealer again. As it was 9.00 Pm, he said, his technicians were gone. So we bought a spare cable for Rs 30 and just now I connected everything again.
Surprisingly, everything is working well. But there is some smell still coming from the Hard disk. I think its slowly dying. Tomorrow morning we be taking the Hd for checking.
 
OP
D

dip_10

Broken In
Hi Lucky_star,
Don't you think it can be a SMPS problem? I guess the SMPS is transferring more power(more current). So the cable burns... In the long run it will also kill the HDD.
 

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
We thought that the SMPS was faulty. He had bought the Smps and cabinet separately from another shop. we checked it there and it showed no problem. Actually, the guys over there are blaming it on the hard drive.

Do you have proper earthing? I think, that was the problem with us, because, now as the earthing is done, everything is working properly.
I have witnessed 3 motherboard burns and this time HD burn, only due to earthing problems.
 
OP
D

dip_10

Broken In
I have good earthing in my room. We 4 friends stay here. 3 of us have PC. This thing happened only to the newest one. Rest two are running quite ok.
 

utsav

damn busy...
smps does not supply high current by its own.it is the components which draw current from the smps.if there is any short circuit then the components will draw high current and your wires and adapters start melting due to heat
 
OP
D

dip_10

Broken In
Hi Utsav,
It seems from your post that the HDD is faulty. But it worked without any problem with the previous SMPS. Today I changed it and the adapter damaged.
 

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
HD problem? Maybe... We will take the HD tomorrow morning for checking, whether its drawing more current.

But I still couldn't understand, what made the motherboard die, just after connecting the graphics card.
 

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
Mine Problem :-

i connected sata hard disk and it burnt the power cable connected to hard disk and also assembly power supply cable.

The cable burnt was red and black colour any idea why it burnt .
when i removed sata hard disk everything was ok.

Is there any chance hard disk is faulty.
i purchased hard disk 2 days ago only .
but i connected today only and as soon as it is connected cable burnt.

The hard disk is 320 GB sata.
When i called computer techinan he told may be it is becauce your power supply is outdated , so he brought 400 W power supply and the cable of that is also burned by hard disk. Other things are working ok when connected to computer.

All other 2 hard disks is IDE and DVD Writer is also IDE , Only Sata Hard disk is giving problem.
 
Last edited:

sashijoseph

In the zone
^^Seems to be a problem with the hdd itself.Make sure it's pcb isn't touching the cabinet somewhere.Else get it replaced.
 
OP
D

dip_10

Broken In
I went to Segate servicing center. They told that a chip was burnt. They took it to repair and would return after a week.
Thanks everyone.
 

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
dip_10 said:
I went to Segate servicing center. They told that a chip was burnt. They took it to repair and would return after a week.
Thanks everyone.

Did they told why the chip was burn and also how they know .Did they just saw and told or they took some time maybe 1 day to tell chip was burn.
 

desai_amogh

In the zone
i have already burnt 3 smps till date... as the rented house i stay here in pune doesnt have proper earthing... & i often get shock from the cabinet ..when i take used it back in goa it worked fine..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom