Sapphire HD4890 ATOMIC hits 5GHZ(memory)!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
*www.overclockersclub.com/vimages/sapphire_hd4890_atomic/hd4890atomic_oc_2.jpg

1. This is the fastest HD4890 core speed and while it's running on AIR.
2. The memory speed is 1255MHz.
Quad-pumped, that becomes 5020MHz !!!!!!!! ZOMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing OC capability of HD4890 I must say, and this GDDR5 is a winner.

*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd4890_atomic/4.htm

^ this is the rest of the review.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
wow, cant believe memory at 5Ghz.
Time to move on to GDDR6, ATI:smile:
while nvidia still tryin to do the best with GDDR3.:-?

i think nvidia guys are being fans of classics, sticking with old technology[ddr3 and 55nm] but still bringing out monsters with shear power.

RChandan

Broken In
^ That stream processor comparison is wrong. A little research will tell you why (simple multiplications).

Also, the comparison of DDR5 with DDR3 is completely legible. nVidia has done nothing spectacular by sticking to DDR3 WITH a 448/512 bit interface.

Ultimately, bandwidth is not determined by DDR type alone, but also the memory interface (256 bit, 448 bit, 512bit etc.)

So in other words, DDR5 through a 256bit interface is roughly equivalent to DDR3 through a 512bit interface, quantities of both remaining the same. No one is winning the Turing prize here, not nVidia, not ATI.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Time to move on to GDDR6, ATI
No, this is the beginning of a llooonnng story.

GDDR5 currently comes in 2 flavours:
- 4GHz rated which is used in HD4770, HD4870 and HD4890.
- 5GHz rated(YES) which is used in HD4860(MOBILE HD4770, but with 5GHz memory chip).

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^ That stream processor comparison is wrong. A little research will tell you why (simple multiplications).

Also, the comparison of DDR5 with DDR3 is completely legible. nVidia has done nothing spectacular by sticking to DDR3 WITH a 448/512 bit interface.

Ultimately, bandwidth is not determined by DDR type alone, but also the memory interface (256 bit, 448 bit, 512bit etc.)

So in other words, DDR5 through a 256bit interface is roughly equivalent to DDR3 through a 512bit interface, quantities of both remaining the same. No one is winning the Turing prize here, not nVidia, not ATI.
Totally agree. More doesnt mean better always. And things are multifactorial.

Example:
1. The first retail Pentium 4 processor (Willamette 1.4 GHz?) was in many ways slower than a P3 at 1GHz, which is something people wouldnt expect.

2. At a point of time, Athlon XP at same clock speed was (much) faster than a Pentium 4.

3. Penitum D 3.0 GHz was slower than Core 2 Duo 2 GHz in almost all benchmarks.

4. Athlons, Phenoms at same clock speed are (much) slower than many similarly priced 'Core' Architecture competitors.

same here, the exact same!
So whats your future like ?
When is your upgrade ?

I will get mine only in june second half after councelling for Amrita University gets over, when I will find out if I stay in Bangalore and get a desktop or go out and get a personal notebook/laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom