Sapphire HD 6950 1GB unlocked to HD 6970 1GB!

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
thanks megamind.
the one that came with hyper 212 evo :-D
there is drop of 2-3C in idle and load temps. idle - 28-30 (250/150), load - 52-53. (in BF3 at 890/1375)

Last edited:
OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
thanks TP.

BTW how to remove these screws -
(red circled)
*img85.imageshack.us/img85/1697/20012012199.jpg
i push them, compress but still not able to get them out!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you need to open them from the back side though I'm not very sure about this.

mrradeon6950

Right off the assembly line
Hi i have follow all the instructions you have and its fascinating thbat my Sapphire dual fan 1gb 6950 is unlock already. Got the 1536. I need to ask if I need to use RBE and getting a atiwinflash? and also want to ask if what is the recommended power supply for OC the 6950? Its very good topics you have. Thank you so much. :))

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi i have follow all the instructions you have and its fascinating thbat my Sapphire dual fan 1gb 6950 is unlock already. Got the 1536. I need to ask if I need to use RBE and getting a atiwinflash? and also want to ask if what is the recommended power supply for OC the 6950? Its very good topics you have. Thank you so much. :))
No, you do NOT need to use RBE and ATi Winflash now because your card has unlocked already to 1536. :)

Recommended power supply? Seasonic S12II 520w or 620w.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

ico answered.

BTW congrats and do not forget to add your entry here -
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/148907-amd-radeon-hd-6900-series-owners-club.html

:)

BTW guys see the linkbacks below :))

mrradeon6950

hi I did already unlock the shaders to 1536. then when I OC it to 6970 speed using the sapphire trixx and then OC it as well in msi after burner then use the msi kombustor to check if its stable then it happened that I cant move the mouse anymore and it stucks and cant either ctrl+alt+del. Also when Im playing Battlefield 3 or starcraft 2 after 15 minutes I can see some flickering color in the screen and it exitsmy game. then When I play the game again my screen have different colors in it. What would be the reason.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run the card on stock speed (with unlocked shaders) and report back.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
hi I did already unlock the shaders to 1536. then when I OC it to 6970 speed using the sapphire trixx and then OC it as well in msi after burner then use the msi kombustor to check if its stable then it happened that I cant move the mouse anymore and it stucks and cant either ctrl+alt+del. Also when Im playing Battlefield 3 or starcraft 2 after 15 minutes I can see some flickering color in the screen and it exitsmy game. then When I play the game again my screen have different colors in it. What would be the reason.

most HD6950 that have locked shaders are not locked on purpose. instead AMD could have those as HD6970 at lower price. some of the GPUs are defective and the bad transistor section are locked. so even if you successfully unlock the extra shaders, there is no guarantee GPU will run stable. over that you overclock the GPU. run at stock speed. if everything works fine, switch the second bios (hence unlocking it to HD6970) and check for stability. avoid overcloking an unlocked GPU/processor. and even if you do, be ready for all sort of fireworks.

also if you want to check for stability, run some graphics heavy game. or run a game with everything max'd out.

mrradeon6950

Im actually running battlefield 3 at max settings and at unlcok shader 1536 but at stock speed of 800mhz/1250mhz. and it works fine. but when I sued the sapphire trixx to OC it to 880/1375 then the problem starts and it gives me flickering color and it exits my game. and when I run some benchmark like MSI kombustor it just went out of power and I need to plug it out then turn the PC again.

rchi84

In the zone
Well I guess either your psu is running out of juice or the gpu on your card is one that needs more volts to run at 880 mhz. See if you can use afterburner to raise the gpu voltage to around 1150.

But make sure your psu is upto the task and your fans are set at 45% or more before you do this.

dibya_kol

In the zone
Im actually running battlefield 3 at max settings and at unlcok shader 1536 but at stock speed of 800mhz/1250mhz. and it works fine. but when I sued the sapphire trixx to OC it to 880/1375 then the problem starts and it gives me flickering color and it exits my game. and when I run some benchmark like MSI kombustor it just went out of power and I need to plug it out then turn the PC again.

I guess u r getting artifact when ur gpu is oced, lower down ur gpu clock speed, or else it could damage ur card. BTW what is ur gpu temp during heavy games ?

mrradeon6950

When I play battlefield 3 in max settings including 8x msaa and 16x anistrophy and skyrim the same settings in 1080p resolution. Playing it for 8 hours. I have a max temp of 74c in HWmonitor and in MSI afterburner. this is under 800/1250mhz. Im using silverstone ST60F-P 600watts. I cant change the gpu voltage.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I play battlefield 3 in max settings including 8x msaa and 16x anistrophy and skyrim the same settings in 1080p resolution. Playing it for 8 hours. I have a max temp of 74c in HWmonitor and in MSI afterburner. this is under 800/1250mhz.
Temperature is fine.

Don't overclock to 880/1375 if you get problems.

Either keep it at stock i.e. 800/1250 or overclock to something around 830/1300.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
yeah, your gpu might not run stable at 880/1375 without extra voltage.
you can overvolt using sapphire trixx.

and remember to up fan profile before over volting.

Top Bottom