Sapphire HD 6950 1GB unlocked to HD 6970 1GB!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bricked card at its worst and no extra shaders if there's nothing to unlock.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
You're very lucky jaskanwar......congrats for your new unlocked HD6970 1GB DDR5;) Now forget about GTX560Ti vs HD6950 hehehe...

Last edited:
OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
thanks Tenida. :)

added a dirt 3 bench in previous post.

update -
added graphs of 3d mark 11, dirt3, avp benches in first post.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
take a look at here ;-)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB Dual Fan Review - Introduction & Specifications

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@megamind
thanks buddy :)

@rchi
thanks buddy :)

@TP
in AvP they have used 4xAA, i have run it at default settings -
# AvP Benchmark Config File
# =========================
#
# To use a config file such as this with the Benchmark, launch the
# AvP_Benchmark.exe with the following on the command-line (e.g.via a
# short-cut).
#
# -config=name_of_your_config.txt
#
# If no config file is specified the Benchmark will run at it's default
# settings (which are listed below).
#
# Lines beginning with # are comments and are ignored by the Benchmark.
#
# By default the Benchmark will output to the user's Documents folder,
# under a subfolder called "AvP_Benchmark". The filename of the report
# will include the current date and time to make it easier to compare
# different runs.
#
# To specify a different report filename, use the following on the
# command-line:
#
# -report=name_of_report_file.txt
#

#
# Each value has a default which will be used if there is not a valid
# setting (i.e. out of range or the line is commented out).
#
# If there are multiple mentions of the same value (e.g. Shadow Quality)
# then the last one in the file will be used.
#

# Video resolution, Width and Height
#
# Defaults to Windows resolution if commented out.
#Width: 1024
#Height: 768

# Texture Quality:
#
# 0 = Low, 1 = Medium, 2 = High 3 = Very High
# Defaults to 2 if commented out.
Texture Quality: 2

# Shadow Quality:
#
# 0 = Off, 1 = Low, 2 = Medium, 3 = High
# Defaults to 3 if commented out.
Shadow Quality: 3

# Anistropic Filtering
#
# Range of 1 to 16
# Defaults to 16 if commented out.
Anisotropic Filtering: 16

# Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
#
# 0 = Off, 1 = On
# Defaults to 1 if commented out.
SSAO: 1

# Vertical Sync
#
# 0 = Off, 1 = On
# Defaults to 0 if commented out.
Vertical Sync: 0

# DX11 Tessellation
#
# 0 = Off, 1 = On
DX11 Tessellation: 1

# DX11 Advanced shadow sampling
#
# 0 = Off, 1 = On
DX11 Advanced Shadows: 1

# DX11 Full Screen Anti-Aliasing Sample Count
#
# 1 = Off, 2 = 2xAA, 4 = 4XAA
DX11 MSAA Samples: 1

Benchmark Results: Aliens Vs. Predator : Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Core Review: GF110 On A Diet
*media.bestofmicro.com/G/L/316821/original/AvP%201920.png*img163.imageshack.us/img163/5301/avph.png

scores in line with 6970 and 6950 scores. i used same settings.

in 3dmark11 i think they have used the score combined of all 6 tests whereas i have used 4 GPU tests only.
in unigine i think they have used default settings.

Guys i have problem with Dirt3 benchmark.
i choose 8xmsaa 3 times for benching, but everytime i see the xml file its reset o 4xmsaa. any solution?

here is 3d mark 11 extreme preset gpu score -
*img198.imageshack.us/img198/3649/3dmark11extreme.png
*img542.imageshack.us/img542/6937/capture7c.png

Yep, first one.. I wish GTX 560 ti could unlock to GTX 570 . haha :p

nice one :-D

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
thanks nilgtx260 :)

@TP
ok now Dirt3 settings problem solved.
here is what i got -
Ultra, 8xMSAA - 64.61
Ultra, 4xMSAA - 67.21
scores aren't matching with any of these -
Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB Dual Fan Review - Page 9 - DiRT 3
*media.bestofmicro.com/G/X/316833/original/DiRT3 1920.png
and where is option of AF?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not using win 7 anymore so can't tell about Dirt 3 AF setting and I've not played this game - just installed it for testing purposes and only ran it 4-5 times but there's must be the AF option - a lot of benches online have used it so the option must be in the game settings - just try to find it ;-)

You have got low FPS in same set of tests in Dirt 3 - the reason could be the HD6970s used in the tests has 2GB GDDR5 mem but yours unlocked one 1GB mem and Dirt 3 really likes more vrams at higher resolutions.

Regarding AVP 2010 benchmark I think the batch file method has some glitches so I recommend you to use this GUI tool for AVP benchmarks - here's the link of AVP 2010 Benchmark GUI tool ( look at the post by japamd );-)
Aliens vs. Predator DirectX 11 Benchmark Tool - Guru3D.com Forums

BTW, if you can just perform the game benchmarks I've done with same gfx settings - I would really like to see them ;-)

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
I'm not using win 7 anymore so can't tell about Dirt 3 AF setting and I've not played this game - just installed it for testing purposes and only ran it 4-5 times but there's must be the AF option - a lot of benches online have used it so the option must be in the game settings - just try to find it ;-)

You have got low FPS in same set of tests in Dirt 3 - the reason could be the HD6970s used in the tests has 2GB GDDR5 mem but yours unlocked one 1GB mem and Dirt 3 really likes more vrams at higher resolutions.

Regarding AVP 2010 benchmark I think the batch file method has some glitches so I recommend you to use this GUI tool for AVP benchmarks - here's the link of AVP 2010 Benchmark GUI tool ( look at the post by japamd );-)
Aliens vs. Predator DirectX 11 Benchmark Tool - Guru3D.com Forums

BTW, if you can just perform the game benchmarks I've done with same gfx settings - I would really like to see them ;-)

as i thought TP -
DiRT3 automatically enables a level of anisotropic texture filtering, which looks to us to be 4X AF when using the highest post processing quality. We found that enabling 16X AF in the NVIDIA Control Panel and the AMD Catalyst Control Center gave us the expected improvement in texture filtering quality. Therefore we will force 16X AF from the control panel for our testing to ensure maximum visual quality.
HARDOCP - Configuring and Testing DiRT3 - DiRT 3 Gameplay Performance Review

so first i set tessellation to 'use application settings' and forced aa to 16x in control panel.
first time results match with this -
Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB Dual Fan Review - Page 9 - DiRT 3
i had got - 60.801456
now everytime i ran test again they increased (settings same) -
then i set tessellation to 'amd optimized' in control panel and got this -

:???::???::???::???:

AVP tool giving this error -
*img812.imageshack.us/img812/6281/11631530.png

about game benches i dont have lost planet 2 benchmark, crysis 2 benchmark, metro2033 benchmark, f1 2010 benchmark. :-D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok .. nice find there - so we need to enable AF setting for Dirt 3 using gfx driver control panel - did not have any clue about this before - thanks for this ;-)

For me the AVP bench tool worked just fine - when you first on the avptool it will ask for a exe file - just select the avp_d3d11_benchmark.exe.

Jaskanwar Singh said:
i have a problem. yesterday i was installing ubuntu and when running from live cd i opened net. found that some images were distorted, noisy, blue,black lines sort of. rest fine. same happened when i was checking overclock.net dirt3 thread, one of images was distorted (in win7 now).
later in dirt3, i collided with a stand while racing and the image during collision became distorted at some portions of screen for that little moment. then i completed the race and got a dxgmms1.sys BSOD during quitting the game. today i repeated same level and collided with same building to verify and found same problem. but no BSOD. everything ok.

my card is unlocked and running at 880/1375 (default - 800/1250). memory is 11-11-11-29.

when i installed new 4gb 1600 memory, it was set to this timings along with old 1333mhz ram which oced to 1600. maybe thats why. i set timings to 9-9-9-24 and ran everything fine. but got a BSOD ntoskrnl.exe. i reset them to 11-11-11-29. still after few days same BSOD. since then i haven't set 9-9-9-24 though BSOD was at relaxed timings too.
read somewhere to run memtest, ran 2 passes error free then.

but its not happening now.

but yesterday the new BSOD. solution?

catalyst 11.11c is installed.

and rest system -
amd athlon II x4 635 @ 2.9ghz (stock)
corsair gs600
cm elite 430
wdc 500gb green
dell st2220l

and when power goes off during gaming, ups shuts down. no backup. same happened with memtest today.
its a 600va. i need which?

Buddy - proceed step by step :

1. Remove the newly installed Ram Module - Use only the Old modules.
2. Use only the final version of gfx driver - the recent one is 11.11 or use 11.10 drivers.
3. Keep the Shaders enabled (aka bios switch of the gfx card ) but run the gpu at stock clock speed.
4. As I said before run Metro 2033 Benchmark @ HD resolution with max settings possible - from my experience I've seen that it puts maximum amount of load on the gpu.
5. If the card can pass this use the 880/1325 clock setting - test with Metro 2033 again.
6. If the test is successful install the new mem module and run all of them @ 1333 Mhz.
7. Now play some different games like BFBC2/BFBC3/Crysis2/Rage/Fallout 3/NV etc. for 2-3 hours each - if they are running without any issue then set the mem to 1600Mhz and re-run the No7 test set and see if the sustem remains stbale or not.

This way you can rectify what is actually causing the BSOD.

Now coming to the UPS part - is it a APC 600VA one ?? then it can output power limitation is 360W and the neoseeker guys test rig consumed 378W under HD6970s benchmarks ( which has core i7 920 Corsair AX1200 powering the rig which has better efficiency ) but when using memtest like apps gpu is not used at it's full load ( most probably ) - even if it shutdowns then then their might be some issue with the ups it-self - if possible check it with some other low power consuming rig.

Overall these are a long sets of test to ensure a safe and stable OC - take your time , do these in step by step and post feedback ;-)

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
TP ok but metro 2033 is giving me same error i told you before even after update. and benchmark too.

and what do you think of dirt3 scores?

and how to run AvP with command line to use our preferred text file?

and UPS works fine when i am browsing etc and power goes off.

and i had tested it stable with battlefield bad company 2. but not for 2-3 hours. i cant game for that much due to lack of time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
updated

@TP

i figured out that metro 2033 problem. searched the internet and found it something related to visual c++ file. so reinstalled.
AND ITS WORKING. :)):))

and then i installed update 2. ran benchmark at highest possible settings settings (ofcourse physx off) -
Options: Resolution: 1920 x 1080; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: Very High; Antialiasing: MSAA 4X; Texture filtering: AF 16X; Advanced PhysX: Disabled; Tesselation: Enabled; DOF: Enabled

Got this -
*img46.imageshack.us/img46/8408/m20331.png
*img85.imageshack.us/img85/5099/m20332.png

AND THE BEST THING IS THIS WAS AT 6GB 1600MHZ RAM (11-11-11-29) AND GPU - 880/1375. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

max GPU temp went to 59C at the end of benchmark.

what do you think of this?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the UPS goes off even while browsing then it's some sort of issue with the PSu itself - RMA it.

For AVP benchmark just edit the config file located on the folder where AVP stores the result txt files.

Metro 2033 running at high settings means the gpu core clock Oc and volts are stable - now try some other games which can put enough loads on the system ram and vram as well.

The BSODS you faced in DiRt3 could be due to gpu mem clock , display driver or ram timings/clock speed - the only way to make sure about this is to play some other resource hungry games for 2-3 hours - For system memory you can try Lynx test.

only this way you'll be know for sure about the stability of all OCed settings ;-)

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
see buddy, i am no longer getting the BSOD. Dxg bsod was only once during returning to desktop after exiting the game. the thing is still i am getting that distortion on collision in DIRT3. green, red, blue lines appear on screen for that moment and vanish.
i removed 4gb new stick, still got that issue. ran the 2gb stick at 1333 still the issue. ran the vram at stock 1250, still the distortion.

and no more BSOD (fingers crossed). the ntoskrnl.exe i found on net was related to some old drivers on system.

about AvP, editing that default config file didnt make a difference. how to use this -
To use a config file such as this with the Benchmark, launch the
# AvP_Benchmark.exe with the following on the command-line (e.g.via a
# short-cut).
#
# -config=name_of_your_config.txt
exact command?

no buddy, UPS doesnt go off during browsing. it went off during memtest and gaming.

are metro scores ok?

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got similar scores with OCed 6950 (900 Mhz core) with a stock c2q 9550. It's more in line.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
ok thanks for info skud.

Ok TP here is the video. notice when i collide.
this is running at 880/1250.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Top Bottom