Samsung unveils Galaxy S5 with 5.1-inch screen

rish1

Cyborg Agent
At least they have ditched exynos and went for snapdragon. Hope for some real development.

they haven't ditched exynos.. the other version of S5 has 2.1 ghz exynos and that will launch in india.. snapdragon is a global version

raksrules

Youngling
Why is everyone crying over the RAM ? Is the new android version even worse than before that it requires lots of GeeBees of RAM and does this mean each year 1 GB should increase because android "needs" that much RAM ?

ash63425

Broken In
More was expected this time from Samsung...With the ever increasing competition where would it stand with very few changes.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I am just curious as to what is the definition of MORE here...like what was expected ?

More here refers to -
More RAM for multi tasking 100 apps at a time.
More speed for something like u imagine of swiping left and before you touch the screen the swipe should be performed.
More battery backup so that u dont have to charge your mobile for a month of heavy usage
and the list goes on.

People in general need everything "more" no matter if they even use it or not

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
On your left you can see the latest version of Samsung Galaxy, the design of which was piss poor as like every other galaxy's before. Nothing to see anymore.

Now move on children to see what really was an innovation. The Nexus series.... :razz: :high5:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
On your left you can see the latest version of Samsung Galaxy, the design of which was piss poor as like every other galaxy's before. Nothing to see anymore.

Now move on children to see what really was an innovation. The Nexus series.... :razz: :high5:

what is so special in nexus design? it is all personal preference and S5's design is good to me :)

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Why is everyone crying over the RAM ? Is the new android version even worse than before that it requires lots of GeeBees of RAM and does this mean each year 1 GB should increase because android "needs" that much RAM ?

I am just curious as to what is the definition of MORE here...like what was expected ?

More here refers to -
More RAM for multi tasking 100 apps at a time.
More speed for something like u imagine of swiping left and before you touch the screen the swipe should be performed.
More battery backup so that u dont have to charge your mobile for a month of heavy usage
and the list goes on.

People in general need everything "more" no matter if they even use it or not

ok i will answer this only once , as i see this point being repeated

First understand this you are not buying a midranger .. you are buying a Flagship Device . Flagship is a phone where no comprimises are supposed to be made and you should get the latest and the best tech available.. if you go by the need logic seriously you don't need to spend 600-700$ on a phone .. a 380$ Nexus 4 is more than enough to be smooth ,play all the latest games do all what any smartphone can.. and i can say with 100% gurantee that there is more need for ram than these stupid gimmicky features like fingerprint scanner and heartbeat measure(this could be useful but only to few people) otherwise these are use it once , show off and never use it again features..

Secondly,

Samsung USP has been to provide the best Specs possible..

they had 3 GB ram in Note 3 there is no reason not to have it in S5 when it was Expected by every customer/fan . they have taken a step backwards..

now the coming to the need of 3gb ram.. right now 1gb is good enough with kitkat .. 2gb is more than enough , 3gb is not needed.. but who knows what will happen with android 4.5,and 4.6 . ( both next versions will be released within 18 months)

then 1 gb will become minimum standard( in 6-7k phones) and 2 gb will be struggling with good enough multitasking.. then you'll wish s5 had 3gb.. and who knows samsung comes out and does not update it to android 4.6 saying because it has 2gb ram.. mass 64 bit cpu trend is starting this year.. apps that use more and more ram like games are getting bigger and bigger using more ram.. this year we will start having direct X 11 based console Quality like games for mobiles in 64 bit.. who knows how specs hungry ( heavy graphcs games) they will be next year or next to next year...

majority People don't change flagship phones for 2 years..

Last edited:

heidi2521

Padawan
lol at people expecting 4k on phones even before PC has seen decent adoption.

Honestly, at this point Samsung has really built up a solid foundation on the Galaxy brand name and are simply riding along it and cashing in before it declines. Due to their flood of products, the Galaxy S line doesn't really have that sort of premium appeal it once had anymore and they are instead relying on Note line, which still stands out. They have a loyal fanbase who will buy it no matter what and the non-tech enthusiast crowd will buy it on word of mouth from techie friends built up from S1 - S4. After which they can simply rely on the network effect. Note has effectively supplanted the S line, so they aren't really losing the normal tech enthusiast or rich kids who want the latest and greatest.

Quite honestly, I don't think console level games will be coming to mobile in a big way anytime soon, simply because of the way the market is structured. Having high priced games on mobiles is absolute suicide if you want to sell well. Freemium and $0.99 rule the roost. To have a large install base you need to be able to get even the lowest end phones, so you can't max out for the flagship models effectively. And honestly, it doesn't make sense to spend $10 - $20mn trying to polish up the graphics, while still having a massive chance of failure due to how saturated the market is when you can easily do with cutesy 2D graphics. Games like the Asphalt series won't be moving beyond PS2 graphics any time soon either. Increased budget with smaller audience is never a good idea.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
lol at people expecting 4k on phones even before PC has seen decent adoption.

Quite honestly, I don't think console level games will be coming to mobile in a big way anytime soon, simply because of the way the market is structured. Having high priced games on mobiles is absolute suicide if you want to sell well. Freemium and $0.99 rule the roost. To have a large install base you need to be able to get even the lowest end phones, so you can't max out for the flagship models effectively. And honestly, it doesn't make sense to spend $10 - $20mn trying to polish up the graphics, while still having a massive chance of failure due to how saturated the market is when you can easily do with cutesy 2D graphics. Games like the Asphalt series won't be moving beyond PS2 graphics any time soon either. Increased budget with smaller audience is never a good idea.

from this year the Audience is going to be huge.. As cheaper Direct x 11 supported High Class GPU will be available in mid range category..

Mediatek is using Mali T 760 in its newer SOC .. direct X 11 supported has around 300 Gflops

Qualcom is bringing Adreno 405 direct x 11 supported for mid range..

these devices will retail for 17-18k from Q3 2014 .. by mid 2015 the prices would fall to 10-12k and by then the user base would be so huge .. we would be having PS3 quality games in 2015..

also don't forget android is used in consoles like nvidia shield ( which debuted last year ) and many more to follow this year.. nvidia is already committed for tegra zone like games Mobile/handheld gaming is going to see tremendous growth from this year.. with game launches from next year.. all they need is to launch 1 epic mobile game for tegra 5 and the rest crowd will follow. android is going to capture handheld gaming market like Sony PS vita,3ds along with smart tvs with google going big with its google play..

the games might still be crappy and follow fremium system but the graphics are sure going to be heavily upgraded.. eye candy always sell..

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!

Ahem.. those "Innovations" came to G/G2 first :p :high5:

.jRay.

Youngling
I recently shifted from a iOS device to Android based phone.. a Samsung galaxy s5.. Now thinking about the applications to install on it... I found this article on must have android apps..

*www.voniz.com/articles/the-top-10-must-have-android-apps-of-2014/

But cant decide for sure.. Please help...

Why u post the same thing twice.?

Update:

Thrice..

Update:

Four times. .

Update:

Oh My god you're everywhere..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Its the same old **** different shell,no innovation at all unless you consider a heartbeat sensor as an innovation.

HeartBeat sensor is nothing new, its available from decades they have just implemented it in their phone, its just a IR Sensor. I even did a project using a MCU during my college days on my own...

Top Bottom