Samsung Galaxy S5 discussion thread

rish1

Cyborg Agent
i really find it funny when people start complaining about sammy phones being "ugly plastic". lolz as if all those classy looking devices don't de-grade and also it's not the plastic which is used for buying grocery.

it's durable, looks good and it's much better to have a phone with removable back-panel then say sony z series which is so "full-proof" that even their engineers in india don't know how to open it.

And secondly what innovation people want? i mean like a transparent phone or something? S5 has latest specs and how much can you really improve on a "best-selling" device in s3? marginally ofcourse.

And thirdly people going crazy on the "specsheet"............i mean who needs 3gb ram in day-to-day operation? my s3 is working just fine despite having "stone-age" 2012 specs in 2014.

And also samsung is perhaps the only vendor which updates it's flagship even after 2yrs with latest firmware.

Nobody has problems with the plastic phones but the plastic used by Samsung looks always cheap.. look at lumia , xperia , htc they all have sexy designs with high quality plastic.. and even if they use it again and again it does not matter much because all of them look super sexy but samsung design is pathetic (9/10 will agree ) looks like a Soap bar and the worst of all samsung copies the same design in 1000s of models from Galaxy Star,young to Galaxy s duos , other companies do not have these many models like samsung so their design still looks great .. this design should have discontinued itself from galaxy S4 .. but they continued it with S5 now what a shame..

according to me Galaxy S2 was the best looking samsung device.

also keep in mind this is not a midranger but a flagship .. if you don't need 3 gb you can buy a phone much cheaper.. a Flagship is supposed to have the very best of everything after all you are paying 700$.. and 2 gb is a standard already now it will feel way very inferior from next year

Last edited:
OP
samudragupta

samudragupta

Youngling
i really find it funny when people start complaining about sammy phones being "ugly plastic". lolz as if all those classy looking devices don't de-grade and also it's not the plastic which is used for buying grocery.

it's durable, looks good and it's much better to have a phone with removable back-panel then say sony z series which is so "full-proof" that even their engineers in india don't know how to open it.

And secondly what innovation people want? i mean like a transparent phone or something? S5 has latest specs and how much can you really improve on a "best-selling" device in s3? marginally ofcourse.

And thirdly people going crazy on the "specsheet"............i mean who needs 3gb ram in day-to-day operation? my s3 is working just fine despite having "stone-age" 2012 specs in 2014.

And also samsung is perhaps the only vendor which updates it's flagship even after 2yrs with latest firmware.

well then why call it the next flagship and name it s5... if all the specs are just a minor upgrade with the same ugly design they should have just named it s4s - samsung 4 same

tkin

Back to school!!
So let me get this straight, Samsung has always been a pioneer as far as hardware was considered, their design was cr@p from day 1, with every device looking the same, so we have S5:

1. Using the exact same chipset that is about 1 yr old and already running in a dozen or so devices, no new CPU/GPU, or new Exynos, the same RAM as with other krait devices, their goes their hardware advantage.
2. 16MP camera looks nothing interesting, lets see what isocell can do, but other manufacturers like Nokia/LG has already gone past that with OIS, Samsung should have given OIS.
3. The design is ugly at best, they should take a cue from Sony or HTC, nokia was already a master at design, even LG learned some new tricks by slimming the bezel to an absolute minimum.
4. Fingerprint scanner? Don't want, we had already shared a lot of our personal information with the government, I wouldn't want the USA gov to get my fingerprints as well.
5. A heart rate monitor? Damn it, any person who can operate a heart rate monitor can simply check his pulse and I can bet that it will be a 100 times more accurate than a mobile device(there's a reason why those devices used in hospitals cost huge amounts of money). And if a person has a heart disease I doubt he will get the chance to check his heart rate with a monitor.

So this is a total fail, I always respected the flagship of the galaxy line up because of their hardware, this time they had lost that edge, also another frightening situation, are we reaching a situation when qualcomm will take over the mobile soc business?

Superayush

Tech lover
So let me get this straight, Samsung has always been a pioneer as far as hardware was considered, their design was cr@p from day 1, with every device looking the same, so we have S5:

1. Using the exact same chipset that is about 1 yr old and already running in a dozen or so devices, no new CPU/GPU, or new Exynos, the same RAM as with other krait devices, their goes their hardware advantage.
2. 16MP camera looks nothing interesting, lets see what isocell can do, but other manufacturers like Nokia/LG has already gone past that with OIS, Samsung should have given OIS.
3. The design is ugly at best, they should take a cue from Sony or HTC, nokia was already a master at design, even LG learned some new tricks by slimming the bezel to an absolute minimum.
4. Fingerprint scanner? Don't want, we had already shared a lot of our personal information with the government, I wouldn't want the USA gov to get my fingerprints as well.
5. A heart rate monitor? Damn it, any person who can operate a heart rate monitor can simply check his pulse and I can bet that it will be a 100 times more accurate than a mobile device(there's a reason why those devices used in hospitals cost huge amounts of money). And if a person has a heart disease I doubt he will get the chance to check his heart rate with a monitor.

So this is a total fail, I always respected the flagship of the galaxy line up because of their hardware, this time they had lost that edge, also another frightening situation, are we reaching a situation when qualcomm will take over the mobile soc business?
:agreed::agreed::agreed:

This time xperia Z2 has the edge :)

tkin

Back to school!!
BTW here are some comparisons from mobiles released lat year:

Against G2: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. LG G2 - GSMArena.com
Against Z1: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. Sony Xperia Z1 - GSMArena.com

And this one takes the cake:
Against Z2: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. Sony Xperia Z2 - GSMArena.com

So where is the improvement?

$hadow

Geek in making
Has anyone considered the fact that what will be the amount of internal storage a user is going to get since I remembered s4 has only 9gb at the time of launch and now after this much features in s5 I guess it would be half or less than that.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Has anyone considered the fact that what will be the amount of internal storage a user is going to get since I remembered s4 has only 9gb at the time of launch and now after this much features in s5 I guess it would be half or less than that.
Yes, you are right. Wanam tweeted this yesterday,
*twitter.com/WanamXda/status/438412056862396416

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Metal-clad Galaxy S5 with better specs said to arrive in May as part of a 'luxury' F line by Samsung

Rumors that the Galaxy S5, which Samsung just announced, won't be the last flagship from the company this season, are circulating like bees around honey today. The eventual metal-clad S5 Premium version is speculated to arrive in two months, after the HTC One 2 gets announced, and be part of a new high-end line of Samsung.

If your head is already spinning here, so is ours, so let's put the rumors in perspective. We've been hearing about Samsung's eventual "luxury" flagship series for a while now, as far back as last summer. This was the source of many tips that Samsung will have two versions of the S5, and even of the Note 4 later this year. For the Galaxy S5, there were even separate specs sheets, and benchmarks backing them, leaked - one was the version with 1080p display and Snapdragon 801 that was just announced, and the other handset was sporting a new Exynos chipset, and a larger, 1440p Quad HD screen.

Today the Korean media is abuzz with reports, allegedly from Samsung execs during closed-door MWC meetings, that the Koreans are going to spice it up with a premium portfolio of flagships, dubbed Project F indeed, and the souped-up S5 will be its first member. The chassis of this one is said to be with premium metallic materials, the Quad HD screen and Exynos processor are bandied about, and even the camera is said to sport optical image stabilization, unlike the one on the "regular" S5. The issue has been procuring those rare parts for the tens of millions of units each Samsung flagship moves, so the company apparently decided to slap them together into a pricier, more exclusive version, that won't sell as many pieces.

Couple these reports with the renowned tipsters Eldar Murtazin and Ricciolo, who both tweet that the "Prime" or "Luxury" S5 is still in play, and we might start thinking that where there's smoke, there's fire. Provided that Samsung decides to go ahead with those alleged plans in any way, that is. Ricciolo even says that Samsung will wait for the announcement of the HTC One 2 flagship next month, and will have the last word for the season with a metallic S5, stuffed with top-shelf components.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yeah, we all know that, at least that's what the media is saying anyway.
But that's even more disgusting. S5 is the top end Samsung at this moment right, the pricing is not yet mentioned by Samsung, but we all can guess something around ₹ 42-43k. And then if that bloody 'F' line comes up, be it metal and all, what will it be it's price? Above 52k or what?
This strategy is even worse than Apple! Ridiculous!

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Yeah, we all know that, at least that's what the media is saying anyway.
But that's even more disgusting. S5 is the top end Samsung at this moment right, the pricing is not yet mentioned by Samsung, but we all can guess something around ₹ 42-43k. And then if that bloody 'F' line comes up, be it metal and all, what will it be it's price? Above 52k or what?
This strategy is even worse than Apple! Ridiculous!

not only that think how bad a customer who is non tech savvy feel( majjority are ) when he realizes that the phone he bought thinking it is the latest and best mobile which has been super hyped just 1 month ago is already outdated and there is already a newer model available

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
not only that think how bad a customer who is non tech savvy feel( majjority are ) when he realizes that the phone he bought thinking it is the latest and best mobile which has been super hyped just 1 month ago is already outdated and there is already a newer model available

They have been doing this since the release of first galaxy series phones. Nothing new. But this time they are releasing two versions with same name but different price tags. Ofcourse there are bundled improvements which would have been ideal on the announced S5 itself.

Flash

Lost in speed
*www.theinquirer.net/IMG/503/283503/goophone-s5-540x334.jpg

That's not Galaxy S5.. its Goophone S5. :lol:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
They have been doing this since the release of first galaxy series phones. Nothing new. But this time they are releasing two versions with same name but different price tags. Ofcourse there are bundled improvements which would have been ideal on the announced S5 itself.

the premium version will be out in may not now..
earlier they still had 6 months gap between refreshing .. this time it will be 1 or 2 months

according to me Galaxy S2 was the best looking samsung device.
Agreed, in fact the best looking Samsung phone since Samsung True-i, world's first 65k color display phone

- - - Updated - - -

For once, i wish Samsung copies the LUMIA series design. As for the extra bezels for waterproofing, i think Sony is make a headway with the Xperia Z2 not increasing in width despite the bigger screen (okay 0.1 inch is no biggie but at least its something XD )

Top Bottom