Samsung Galaxy S5 discussion thread

samudragupta

Youngling
With Sammy's S5 round the corner I think this is the right time to kick start any discussions based on "rumors" or facts trolling the internet. So what are you guys expecting from the new flagship model. I am a sammy basher and never liked any of the galaxy series. Having said that i am really excited to see what Sammy is going to showcase. So based on rumors below are highlights of the s5:
- The best part is that Sammy has listened to its customers and is doing away with the " plastic soap shaped" casing and may adorn a steel casing.
- The UI seems to be refreshed and has a flatter appearance based on Tizen OS. However, many sammy bashers might say that the UI has been grasped from ios 7!!
- Chipset: Snapdragon 805, CPU: Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400, 3GB Ram, Android Kitkat 4.4.2. This phone will be an absolute beast
- Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.25 inches (~559 ppi pixel density). I'm not a fan of amoled but the numbers here seem to be delicious indicating a gorgeous screen.
- Last but not the least i wont be surprised if the s5 would be dust and water resistant
Now based on the above config I'm certain that the s5 will cost between INR 48,000 - 51,000/-

What say guys are you excited??? :)

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally I'll be able to replace the broken window (actually no window) in my hostel room.

Within two years, Samsung will also come up with a solution for my broken door.

Really excited. Finally something from Samsung which can actually solve problems.

Krow

Crowman
I use giant phones as ear warmers in winter. Go Samsung!

Android in General is so specs driven that I've lost interest in new releases. I only get excited when I see something like Nexus 5 or Oppo N1 (CyanogenMod edition). Smooth experience is what counts. Can Samsung provide that? I'm not too sure.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I believe Samsung will stick to their 1080p screen resolution for this one... Its more than enough already... Also, Snapdragon 805 is a little doubtful... It will probably be an updated Snapdragon 800 processor... Also expect them to update the camera to 16 MP, which is overkill for the small sensor...

Lets find out on 24th February...

Arnab boss

In the zone
samsung sucks a big time..time to focus on lg....it has released so much of galaxy series tht even it is more than the real galaxy...lol

really same specs and features with diff model name.....time to shift to lg...

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
samsung sucks a big time..time to focus on lg....it has released so much of galaxy series tht even it is more than the real galaxy...lol

really same specs and features with diff model name.....time to shift to lg...

Advantage with Samsung is better service centers in India. Also, a larger developer support at XDA. LG makes it very hard to unlock bootloaders and use custom ROMs. Samsung looks away when you are doing it... They don't care as long as they are making money selling their phones...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
PS: Nothing against Samsung. I like them. Galaxy S2 still going strong. :) Shall be three years in a few months.

I just don't like their regression. What we need is well designed and well thought phones like Moto G and HTC One. Instead Samsung chooses to flood the market with phones greater in number than the population of India.

Krow

Crowman
PS: Nothing against Samsung. I like them. Galaxy S2 still going strong. :) Shall be three years in a few months.

I just don't like their regression. What we need is well designed and well thought phones like Moto G and HTC One. Instead Samsung chooses to flood the market with phones greater in number than the population of India.

One hit is good enough to swallow losses on 30 flops. Anyone remember the Rex series they launched to take on Nokia Asha? It has disappeared from the market completely. Why launch phones that don't stand a chance in the market?

Also, resale value is terrible. Samsung itself reduces the price by 30% around 3 months after launch. What price would you get if you were to sell it after a year or two?

beingGamer

In the zone
1 drop on the ground and you will have to pay 9k+ for the screen repair.
smartness is in staying away from such high end but delicate phones :)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I will be disappointed if they boost the screen res, full HD on 5" is way more than enough! Jeez!
I would like it to be of same dimension of S4, and the main thing, if they don't ditch plastic I am out. S4's build quality is rubbish. And I don't like to put a protective case, but I had to make an exception for S4.
All other hardware specs are just selling points, Quad Core Krait, 3 GB RAM ( I would love this personally), and whatever that hole they put at back and call it 16 mp or 20 mp, I don't care, ultimately it will take average snaps!
And price, I am sure it won't happen, but anything more than 41/42k won't be of my cup of tea. Might wait for price to drop.

OP
samudragupta

samudragupta

Youngling
yes its always better to buy the flagship after 3-4 months... the prices always drops since other flagships are also launched ahead of sammy's. Having said that there will always be buyers when the phone launches :)

couponsgrid

Right off the assembly line
Don't even think about buying LG, you will later repen on your action, the LG mobile phhones are miserable the one i had been using from past few months is biggest blunder of my life.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
1 drop on the ground and you will have to pay 9k+ for the screen repair.
smartness is in staying away from such high end but delicate phones :)

Isnt the case with any current gen phones?? A drop will cost you good and these smartphones arent for people who like to throw the mobile from a distance.

PS:: I know you meant accidental drops. But a drop is still a drop and the consequences are there to be taken care of.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't even think about buying LG, you will later repen on your action, the LG mobile phhones are miserable the one i had been using from past few months is biggest blunder of my life.

And what LG phone are you using?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Meh. I will wait for S10 with 7225 ppi, 16000 mah battery, Android 8.4.1, Snapdragon 1202 32 core and 64 GB Ram

tkin

Back to school!!

And exactly which LG phone would that be?

tkin

Back to school!!
Meh. I will wait for S10 with 7225 ppi, 16000 mah battery, Android 8.4.1, Snapdragon 1202 32 core and 64 GB Ram

I have no idea what manufacturers are thinking, 2160p is hard to drive for even desktop gpus, games will suffer a lot with that, not to mention the human eye cannot resolve at those ppi levels, even lg is doing it, where does this end?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I have no idea what manufacturers are thinking, 2160p is hard to drive for even desktop gpus, games will suffer a lot with that, not to mention the human eye cannot resolve at those ppi levels, even lg is doing it, where does this end?

Correct. Actually i myself think 220 ppi is enough as i have an Ainol Venus and text looks sharp to me without eye strain.

OP
samudragupta

samudragupta

Youngling
these are merely number games by all major players nowadays... having said that i think 320ppi is more than sufficient for me atleast...
i have never dropped my htc one x ever since i have had it :) Im wondering how the gorilla glass 3 will fare against drops and daily wear and tear...

tkin

Back to school!!
these are merely number games by all major players nowadays... having said that i think 320ppi is more than sufficient for me atleast...
i have never dropped my htc one x ever since i have had it :) Im wondering how the gorilla glass 3 will fare against drops and daily wear and tear...

It will break, gorilla glass is somewhat scratch resistant, but that's all, it'll shatter if you drop it, it will scratch if you put it in a pocket with keys etc, the backside will get scratched no matter what phone you get, gorilla glass is not magic.

Top Bottom