Votes: 54 83.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy 3

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

niraj87

Broken In
The only reason i'm not going for lg is because it can't play sd video and low colour depth, average music player interface and I've made my mind. If you have purchased lg then let me know how it feels

It cant play SD video? What does that mean? You have no information n I really want to help u, which is y i typed so much. It plays everything on the SD card, even Avi, Divx, but i stick to Mp4.

Average music player? The audio quality on LG kicks ass (not on speaker tho) n I was amazed to here the in-ear sound quality to be so good ! In case u find the volume low, use the software Wavepad to amplify the volume of the mp3 files. If u're talkin abt the in-built music player app, no in-built app is worthy on an Android phone, coz u have faaar better apps available for free. I listed those music players for u in my previous post, which r kickass. I have tried 1000s of apps on my phone.

The color depth is stunning on the Optimus, trust me. There's no visible advantage on the Galaxy 3 screen, but the resolution is poor on G3. Also, Optimus has a dedicated GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) for playing high-res and 3D games, while G3 doesnt have n hence lags too much for the purpose.

If u r a gaming freak, or u like capturing videos, or if u plan to use the phone for reading pdf/doc/ppt/xls dont go for Galaxy 3, since it has low-res, which looks pixelated on zooming.

If u need a capacitive screen n pinch to zoom, go for Galaxy 3, coz it has no other advantage over GT540. LG Optimus One is much better than both these phones.

Optimus GT540 lags on Android 1.6, but I recently upgraded to 2.1 n it kicks ass. Moreover, a resistive screen can be touched using any damn thing in the world, including pens, earbuds, anything, but Capacitive screens can only be touched using ur fingers, as they need charge to register a touch.

ssb1551

Technomancer
@ NainO - even I'm rootin for O1!!I love typin on a physical keypad rather thn on-screen 1s.No matter wat ppl say it aint d same!!As ur post +7 for O1....:hyper:

Boy niraj u r goin gung-ho on G3 in this deabte!!:D

Last edited:

niraj87

Broken In
@ssb1551 - lol...I was goin crazy for the Galaxy 3 like this guy Gollum, until I encountered the disadvantages of the phone.

I only intend to help him. But, I'm sure it wud be alright for him to buy a Galaxy 3, not a prob..just wanted to tell him the disadvantages n that the Optimus One is miles ahead of G3.

When I was buying my phone, every famous store told me they dont have LG, including Alfa and Heera Panna (Mumbai). The truth, as told to me by another young shopkeeper near Alfa, is that the stores have had a big issue with LG supplies. The stores had complained abt some of LG's logistic issues, n since then LG stopped distributing to those (famous) retail stores. Every store asked me why do I NEED LG, usme aisi kya baat hain, uska music accha nahi hain etc. Everyone in this country has turned into Nokia bhakts.

So now, since 2 yrs, when Samsung n LG have captured the world in association with Android, the only brand that emerged here in terms of Value For Money, is Samsung, not LG, due to the issue stated above (HTC is expensive, so no Value For Money). As a result, ppl underrate LG n dont even consider it as a brand (even I thot LG n Samsung sucked).

The ground reality is that both these brands are kool, but they need to cut down features on all phones to be able to release at a low price category in this competitive industry. If they dont cut down those features, who'll buy the higher category phones like Galaxy S, Captivate, Omnia, Wave, etc

Gollum

Collector
The only reason i'm not going for lg is because it can't play sd video and low colour depth, average music player interface and I've made my mind. If you have purchased lg then let me know how it feels

It cant play SD video? What does that mean? You have no information n I really want to help u, which is y i typed so much. It plays everything on the SD card, even Avi, Divx, but i stick to Mp4.

Average music player? The audio quality on LG kicks ass (not on speaker tho) n I was amazed to here the in-ear sound quality to be so good ! In case u find the volume low, use the software Wavepad to amplify the volume of the mp3 files. If u're talkin abt the in-built music player app, no in-built app is worthy on an Android phone, coz u have faaar better apps available for free. I listed those music players for u in my previous post, which r kickass. I have tried 1000s of apps on my phone.

The color depth is stunning on the Optimus, trust me. There's no visible advantage on the Galaxy 3 screen, but the resolution is poor on G3. Also, Optimus has a dedicated GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) for playing high-res and 3D games, while G3 doesnt have n hence lags too much for the purpose.

If u r a gaming freak, or u like capturing videos, or if u plan to use the phone for reading pdf/doc/ppt/xls dont go for Galaxy 3, since it has low-res, which looks pixelated on zooming.

If u need a capacitive screen n pinch to zoom, go for Galaxy 3, coz it has no other advantage over GT540. LG Optimus One is much better than both these phones.

Optimus GT540 lags on Android 1.6, but I recently upgraded to 2.1 n it kicks ass. Moreover, a resistive screen can be touched using any damn thing in the world, including pens, earbuds, anything, but Capacitive screens can only be touched using ur fingers, as they need charge to register a touch.
i'm not trying to be biassed but just want the job done. Can you confirm the maximum video playback resolution supported by optimus. If it can't play 720x480 xvid video then its a big no no for me. Also can it play psp videos that are encoded with avc3 x264 codec.
By average music player i was referring to the interface. You get a mini player that you can access even when the screen is locked, optimus lacks this option. I know on the screen part i'm going for a downgrade but aspect ratio also matters when watching widescreen movies.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@niraj87: Wow thats a quite LOT of info. Thanks a lot man for the help. Please do let us know more about LG optimus one. I am planning to buy it. As you might have seen my first post. I was going to go G3, but when I saw LG optimus one, I held back and wanted to know more about it.

On a special note. Nice start on the forum.

niraj87

Broken In
I just confirmed that the Optimus GT540 can play max 640x360 res videos flawlessly, which is stated in the review on Phonearena.com. Abt the Optimus One, I'm not sure abt 720x480. I searched for it but cudnt find the specs for this new phone. But, I think it should. Wait for some days for some review, else go for Galaxy 3, for which u'll have to live with those disadvantages n no app installation on SD card i.e. limited memory (170mb), which is very low considering the no. of awesome apps/games Android offers for free.

Abt the music player accessible from lock screen, all Android phones have it dude. Its not something created by Samsung, its created by the Android developers, which is what many music apps have. For example, Cubed, Winamp players have it n even a couple of more, which i dont remember.

Gollum

Collector
Techradar says that lg could not play the said resolution. Can you post links to some good video reviews. So i can go tomorrow to a net cafe and watch the review.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@niraj87: When you say "I have Swype, Samsung's Touch-Wiz launcher, Acer's Launcher, HTC widgets n the best of them all - Windows 7 launcher (which completely transforms my Android UI to Windows UI)"

Does that mean even if I go for LG optimus one, I can still have the other UI's installed without any problems and not worrying about the phone working slow because of other UI's ?
Also will it only change the homescreen interface or just about anything the complete UI of the respective company provides?

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@jetboy
yo dude, you can hav all the above mentioned UI on your optimus one, if you buy it:)
Even I m using SenseUI on G3.

I asked for optimus one on all the shop present in my city, but sadly its not available here :-(. Someone of them even didnt knew about it, shame they call themselves mobile retailers.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@jetboy
yo dude, you can hav all the above mentioned UI on your optimus one, if you buy it:)
Even I m using SenseUI on G3.

I asked for optimus one on all the shop present in my city, but sadly its not available here :-(. Someone of them even didnt knew about it, shame they call themselves mobile retailers.

I know I faced the same problem when I as asking for G3 :-(. They used to look at me with such a grim face as if I was a fool and not knowing anything about the mobiles. After saying 5800/5801 they said it was for nokia and not samsung :-D

niraj87

Broken In
@Gollum -
I have my prelim exams goin on. So, I can provide u few convincing stats n video links till 2moro evening, as I need to study now for my MCA prelim.

@jetboy -

Absolutely yes, u can have all of those GUIs with no lags at all. Most of those replace the homescreen GUIs, but the Windows 7 launcher I'm talkin abt turns ur phone into semi-Windows, since it has a file explorer like Windows (showing u Disk Drives like C:/ D:/ ,in addition to the homescreen looking like ur running a Windows phone.

Go for the Optimus One without any doubts. ****, u'll have Froyo on ur phone for 13k !!!

@Naino -

I need the sense UI...plz upload somewer n post a link here. I dont have enough time rite now to search. Thanx in advance.

As I find free time, I'll upload all the awesome apps n launchers somewer n post a link here.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@ NainO - even I'm rootin for O1!!I love typin on a physical keypad rather thn on-screen 1s.No matter wat ppl say it aint d same!!As ur post +7 for O1....:hyper:

I think you misunderstood me lol...
I was actually pointing to physical soft keys, and i think you are refering to physical qwerty keypad...
If i am right, then sorry O1 got no physical qwerty keypad :-(
My bad. Next time i will be more specific. :)

@niraj
Welcome friend...
And thnx for supporting O1, i was actually expecting someone's help to defend O1...
I was feeling so alone... :-D
I cant post all of this big replies as i m using mobile and i m quite lazy...

@jetboy
Nokia 5801 aka galaxy 3...
Nice one lol... :-D:-D:-D

Last edited:

niraj87

Broken In
@Gollum -
Oh, so u cant watch youtube videos at home due to some reason, but plz watch those two youtube videos I posted in one of my earlier posts.

@Jetboy -
You wanted to know more abt Optimus One. Here it is :

Optimus One is very similar to Optimus GT540, with the biggest advantages of Android 2.2 (which is said to be 450% faster than Android 2.1), 512MB RAM and a Capactive screen for faster touch screen response. The Internal memory is 170mb, but all the apps/games can be installed on the SD card.

The camera of LG lacks a bit of color-reproduction as compared to Sony Ericsson's cams, but is better than the Nokia 5800's cam (by experience). The video recording is great on LG. Music is very very good acc to me.

@Naino -

I already have Launcher Pro but never knew it was the Sense launcher !...will install again on my recent 2.1

My fav launchers are

1. Open Gesture Pro, wer u can draw anythng on the screen, assign it to any app, n then wenever u draw the pattern, the app launches.

2. Samsung TouchWiz launcher

3.Windows 7 launcher

4. Acer laucher

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
I think you misunderstood me lol...
I was actually pointing to physical soft keys, and i think you are refering to physical qwerty keypad...
If i am right, then sorry O1 got no physical qwerty keypad :-(
My bad. Next time i will be more specific. :)

Yup u hit d bull's eye on tht 1!!:oops: didn't know abt tht..ws crazy abt phones n specs of upcomin phones almost a yr bk when I ws on d lookout for a new phone.But now not so updated abt those stuff coz tryin to get a new GPU.
But anyways I still root for d underdog n in this thread O1 seems to b d 1:D..moreover prefer better resolution n vid capture!!

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@niraj87: Woah dude, if with you prelims going on you can be so active...what will you do after its over :-D. Btw best of luck for your exams. Do share some more information with us.

@NainO: thanks for the info. Btw I was on your side too for LG optimus one ;)

Gollum

Collector
I can't watch youtube videos because i'm using gprs internet on nokia 5233. Also i don't have a computer. So this little thing is like a small replacement.

tejaslok

Journeyman
guys im really confused after seeing these posts so can some one post a comparison chart b/w gal3 and optimus one, i dont need a comparison from phone arena or any other site but frm the users point of view provide the pro' and cons' for both irrespective of which brand u own !!
All this 1 month i was waiting for x8, but sony ppl are late in implementing to froyo so right now im thinking of "gal 3 or optimus one". i will be buying it +/- New year so still have maybe 6 weeks till then :)

Last edited:

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@tejaslok

Refer to 37th post of this thread, its my opinion towards advantages of O1 over G3.

For G3 over O1:
1. slightly better CPU, a mere difference of 67MHz.
2. better reliability as its samsung
3. better multimedia with customised music and video player and good loadspeaker output.

Guys plz help me find some more points to add in this :-|

Hrithan2020

In the zone
And Optimus One isn't very hi-res device either.

But, it has the minimum resolution that I can tolerate..Plus, the standard HVGA res would be compatible with all applications, I figure.

This is irrelevant point. We judge device on the basis of what it comes equipped with. In that case, the only advantage of O1 is the FroYo update, which G3 currently runs on Eclair.

Froyo, plus more RAM, subjectively better looks, physical buttons..You get the drift..

Swype version gets auto-updated with latest firmware. This is the advantage of built-in apps. Same goes for Think Free office. BTW, O1 doesn't have Swype.

I have Galaxy S (Swype 1.6 in the latest firmware), and AFAIK, the froyo update brings Swype version to 2.5 or so. (For which, I'll have to wait till the end of the month. The latest beta version is 2.6.47 or something. But, Swype being a system app, you need to root the device, then use Root Explorer
to delete files in certain folders etc.... Had it not been a system app, it would have been soo much easier, I figure ?

It doesn't OBJECTIVELY look better. Different people, different tastes.

Obviously, it is entirely subjective.(In fact, my entire post was a subjective one, presume. It is in my opinion, looking much better than Galaxy 3 .

How low-resolution is anywhere related with snappiness? Its funny that you have not used either device yet post such uninformed comments.

Not the "may" in my post. You know what that means, right? ;)
Anyway, hope niraj87 answered your question.

@niraj87,
You seem to be very active. Hope your exam went well ? Thanks, for your detailed posts. :) Open Gesture Pro sounds cool. Is it your primary homescreen nowadays?

BTW, SD means Standard Definition Videos. (Usually 720x480 or 854x480)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom